Jambands.ca

Great Minimilist Guitarists ?

Jaimoe

Some of the most powerful guitarists in music are minimalists to the core. It's not about virtuosity, it's about taste and style. Obviously Trey, Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, Di Meola and Zappa do not qualify.

Here's some of my favourites:

Nick Drake - listen to the album Pink Moon for evidence. Hell, buy the fucking album. If you don't think it's brilliant, I'll reimburse you.

Pete Townshend - most of Pete's solos are minimalist, but the guitar solo on " I Can See For Miles " is one of his best, and consists of only two notes!

Muddy Waters - especially on " Rollin' Stone " and " I Can't Be Satisfied "

B.B. King - no one uses notes better than B.B., and he has the tone that I'd kill for.

The Edge - listen to the earlier U2 songs like " Sunday Bloody Sunday ", " New Year's Day " and " Bullet The Blue Sky ". The sparse leads are powerful and imaginative.

Keith Richards - all Stones songs

Brian Jones

Paul, John and George - all three played lead guitar on Beatles albums. I love John's heavy hollow-body lines - see " I Want You ( She's So Heavy ) " for evidence.

Bo Diddley

John Lee Hooker

Phelps " Catfish " Collins - see James Brown's " Get Up ( I Feel Like Being A ) Sex Machine " and " Super Bad ".

Hubert Sumlin - listen to his famous leads on Howlin' Wolf's " Spoonful " or " Killin' Floor ".

Paul Simon - his subtle and melodic guitar playing is underrated.

Neil Young - his solos on " Cinnamon Girl ", " Cortez The Killer " and " Down By The River " taught me how to play lead guitar.

Chrissie Hynde - an underrated rhythm player who surrounds herself with flashy lead guitarist like ( the late ) James Honeyman-Scott and Robbie MacIntosh.

Albert King - the least flashy Flying-V guitarist ever, but arguably the most influential.

Paul Westerberg - his Telecaster sound with the Replacements was distinctive in the drab 1980's.

Bruce Springsteen - I love when he plays lead, which is more than you'd think.

Malcolm Young - the songwriter for AC/DC and chief riff-master.

Jack White - I love the garage-blues of The White Stripes and I like Jack's economy of notes ( Ball & Biscuit excluded ).

Adam Jones - I love Tool. The Pink Floyd of metal.

Bob Weir - when he wants to play lead, he never wastes any notes. A fine rhythm player too.

Lou Reed & Sterling Morrison - on all VU albums, but the starkness of their playing on the album White Light/White Heat really stands out.

Joe Strummer & Mick Jones - The Clash was the greatest of all punk bands and Joe and Mick's simple yet creative guitaring continually impress me. See " Train In Vain ", " Police & Thieves ", " White Riot " etc...

Paul Weller - The Jam briefly brought back power-pop in the early 80s.

Gaz Coombs - Supergrass are one of my favourite power-pop band of the last 6 years. Gaz is a good restrained lead player.

Black Francis ( Frank Black ) - " Here Comes Your Man " is one of the great " alternative " pop songs of the late 80s. I love Frank's Telecaster sound.

I hear you Esau, but Paul's solos are not too economical.

Have you heard of Luther Allison's son Bernard? He's a guy who wastes all kinds of notes. He could learn something from his father. Bernard has all the talent in the world, but is waaaay to flashy. I hate that type of player.

Agreed, I caught Bernard at a blues show in Paris(FR) back in the fall of 97 and I was blown away at some of the playing,but it seemed he was more about the visualness of the show and trying to hit the amazing solo each time,he destroyed a Hound Dog Taylor tune,that hurt.The show was a tribute to his father with some french blues guys(I forget who).The covers of his fathers tunes were actually really good,but the destruction the the Taylor tune really freakin' hurt.

Last time I saw Luther was at the Ottawa blues fest in 97, not long after he was gone,definatley a great player.

Another guitar player I think that doesn't get to crazy but knows what he's doin' is R.L Burnside.

Cheers~

Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave member Tom Morello is a minimalist guitarist, but I hate his style and imagination. He's a good rhythm player, but I detest his creative approach to lead solos. He can shove his sound-effects solos up his pompous ass.

On a more positive note, another great minimalist guitarist that I forgot to mention is Kurt Cobain.

I forgot R.L. Burnside.

Same with butter-knifed lap-slide North Mississippi Delta polio surivivor and wheel-chair bound guitarist Cedell Davis.

Agreed Kung, Murvin should be on the list. The Clash do an almost identical version of Murvin's " Police & Thieves ". I do love that Simonon's bass and Joe's guitar riff however.

I'm not sure how "minimalist" Bill Frisell would be considered, but he's certainly one of the most restrained and tasteful guitarists out there.

Jimmy Vaughan is that way, too: he doesn't play much (especially when compared to his brother), but when he plays, it's golden.

Would Ed Bickert be considered "minimalist"? He's a jazz player, so doesn't display a lot of flash, but even within jazz, he lays back and plays what's necessary (especially when he's a sideman, e.g., with Shirley Eikhard).

Aloha,

Brad

bradm, I was thinking bill frisell through this whole thread. He certainly keeps it tasteful and generally understated. I'd add a few more:

-peter buck from REM

-ry cooder (at least on most of his stuff. check out the soundtrack from paris, texas)

-mark ribot (note choice before anything else)

-martin tielli from the rheostatics (brilliant guitarist who never shreds)

ps. Ottawa folks should check out the rheos at the black sheep inn on sept. 4/5 or 5/6. I forget which.

Archived