Police setlist

phorbesie

lookin good! :)

The Police

05-27-2007 GM Place, Vancouver BC

Message In A Bottle

Syncronicity II

Don't Stand So Close To Me

Voices Inside My Head > When The World Is Running Down....

Spirits In The Material World

Driven to Tears

Walking On The Moon

Truth Hits Everybody

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

Wrapped Around Your Finger

The Bed's Too Big Without You

Murder By Numbers

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Invisible Sun

Walking In Your Footsteps

Can't Stand Losing You

Roxanne

Encore: King Of Pain, So Lonely, Every Breath You Take

Encore 2: Next To You

Last night was the fan club only preview, they only sold 4000 tickets for it. The real tour starts tonight!

I've got extras for Wed. July 25 in Montreal available that are going to Ebay if I don't sell them soon. PM me for details.

Who: The Police

Where: GM Place

When: Last night, Sunday May 27th

Why: To see the first complete Police show in 25 years

They was no opening band last night and the Police started around 7:45 and then played for two hours including the double encore. They played almost all the hits and some were reworked (ie slowed down and spaced out). I liked the new twist to some of these songs but a few times I really missed the energy of the original version. I overheard someone shout 'Play It Faster" at one point so I guess I wasn't alone. They were really tight and Sting's voice was great.

In middle of the set Stewart Copeland got up from behind the drums and ran around the entire stage saying, "I'm stuck behind the drums all night and never get to do this and it's such a big stage" And big stage it was with risers, stairs to the side speakers (Sting hopped up once and did some strange butt shaking dance moves) a huge lighting rig and 3 big screens (one for each member of the band).

All in all a very enjoyable show and I can't wait to go again tonight. Hopefully they play 'synkronicity I' tonight but I'm thinking it might be the same set again.

from the Vancouver Province via the Ottawa Citizen:

Stewart Copeland plays drums in the Police. His management handlers would prefer that our interview avoids talking about the reunited band's coming tour and stick to the drummer's "other work."

What other work you say? When he answers the phone, his nose is hardly to the grindstone.

"It's a champagne morning here in Southern California," says Copeland. "OK, it's a coffee morning, but the weather is just sparkling.

"Does it remind me of the hills of Lebanon growing up? Yes, it does, with similar vegetation and climate."

The son of a high-ranking CIA agent, Copeland was born July 16, 1952, in Alexandria, Egypt, and both he and brother Miles spent their formative years in the Middle East. After attending college in California, the jazz-schooled drummer headed off to London in 1975 where he took up the drum duties in prog rock act Curved Air.

"I played in prog type groups like Curved Air because that was what was available at the time. It wasn't until punk and Sting and Andy came along that I could reinvent my instrument in a whole new way. Before that it was all pretty straight-ahead work."

Curved Air quit blowing and he founded the Police with singer/bassist Sting and original guitarist Henry Padovani, who was quickly replaced by well-known prog scene fixture Andy Summers -- and the rest is rock history. The trio became the biggest band in the world for a while and Copeland was lauded as one of the great drummers of all time.

"I had the band on paper; three-piece bass, guitar, drums. Either the guitarist or the bass player needs to be able to sing because I don't want a separate singer. The music will be in the flavour of the month in London at that time, which was punk. That was pretty much the brief, although there were probably a few more wrinkles."

"It wasn't (until) joining up with Sting as a rhythm section that I really developed my own style. Here was a killer bassist who could sing a bit. And, I found out later, he could write really killer songs too!"

Then one day in 1983, the trio called it quits. Sting went off to write killer songs for a solo career and Copeland, who had issued an acclaimed album under the alias Klark Kent titled Music Madness From the Kinetic Kid, went to work on another project, 1985's The Rhythmatist.

Having already earned a Golden Globe nomination for his work on Francis Ford Coppola's film Rumble Fish, he continued film scoring too. Based on the information in his latest supplied biography, he's built-up an impressive resume as a soundtrack composer.

His scores grace flicks from Oliver Stone (Wall Street, Talk Radio), Ken Loach (Riff-Raff, Hidden Agenda, Raining Stones) and, most recently Canuck director Arthur Hiller's Pucked. There is also considerable TV work, including Desperate Housewives and theatre and ballet commissions galore.

"I like to feel that I'm in control of my destiny at all times, but film happened by accident. Unlike The Police, which was a plan right from the beginning and, I'm pretty sure, one of the most important things that ever happened to me."

As time passed and he amassed a body of work, the drummer would periodically hook up with other musicians in projects. Typically, these would be one-offs such as the pop/jazz fusion unit Animal Logic and the ongoing jam band supergroup Oysterhead with Primus bassist Les Claypool and former Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio.

"Animal Logic came out of meeting Stanley Clarke, really getting along, and going let's put together a band. Oysterhead came together the same way, but that band has much more of a future because it's interesting and a perfect antidote to the Police. Those three guys, bass player/singer and extremely exotic guitarist, have a music ethos that is a polar opposite from the Police's, which is all about the songs.

"In Oysterhead, we have no songs. We laughingly refer to our so-called material but in any show, at least 80 per cent of the show is improvised and has never been written before. A large portion of what we do on stage is not good, we're floundering. For me, as a precision pop music player, I'm mortified and can't stand it."

The love Oysterhead fans have for intense, free-flowing jam sessions is "another way to musical nirvana," Copeland says.

"They want to know that nothing is pre-planned, that it never happened before so they are experiencing something unique. When Les comes in with a bassline that gets us back on the goodfoot and I can lock it in and we pick it up and surge forward, the quarry is spotted and the chase is on and it's thrilling. In a way, I keep thinking with Oysterhead, if only we had a killer song. Take the talent we have in this band and give them a killer song and oh, it would be grand."

He does, however, always have a fallback with Sting and Summers; one that he's excited to be taking out on the road.

"With the Police, our MO, our means of conquest, is always the song and we've got these songs that are such a perfect vehicle for our playing. It's going to be an incredible tour because, as players, I think those guys have been practising and playing a lot in the last 20 years. We're slaying ourselves at the start of it all."

Edited by Guest
the chase is on and it's thrilling

i'll be at one of the toronto shows in july (the sunday night one).

brad sands (phish's old tour manager) is working w/ the band for this world tour; namely with copeland. he first started working w/ him during the oysterhead days.

from what i hear, the band is really tight and is looking forward to the 9 months of touring ahead. i'm really looking forward to seeing the show. i think the setlist looks awesome.

Wow, wow, wow!! What a GREAT fugging show....the sound at GM Place was incredible, the band was strong and they ROCKED. Wow! Looking forward to the Roo even more after lastnight. I'm hoping itcan only get better from here on in. Anyone who was able to get tickets is in for a treat. WOW!