Jambands.ca

how FUN was manu chao!?

meggo

It was great to see the Ottawa crowd respond to the energy put out from the stage. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves and they played far longer than I expected, all the way to 11pm. Too bad they were scheduled at the same time as Toumani Diabate. That's probably the worst conflict of the fest for me.

So far the best show I've seen at the fest was Femi Kuti, followed by Manu Chao.

manu chao seemed like some really high energy fun! i guess not my cup of tea though, i was wanting to head to the black sheep while i watched for a bit. i think if i was in the right place like a crazy street party in rio i would have loved it though :)

We caught some of Manu Chao, but I tells ya, the African band at the Black Sheep put on what might be the set of the fest for me. We won't see a better musician than that kora player, I betcha.

It was second-best for me, a close runner-up to Femi Kuti the night before. And that kora solo he took (after explaining the instrument and how it's played to the crowd) was mind-boggling. My mind was also pretty boggly after the guitar player's long solo: it was as if he played phrase after phrase, improvising and changing the melody every which way (and in ways I have trouble comprehending), never repeating himself in the slightest, and then when the band came back in, he locked into a pattern, and played it over and over.

Aloha,

Brad

Manu Chao was as boring as I thought it would be. But I've always hated Manu Chau so don't listen to me. The African band at the blacksheep was amazing, made up for not getting into see Luke Doucet. Mute Math on the River stage was probably the highlight of the day for me though, those guys kicked ass.

I had to bail at about the time that Harmer ended and Franti hit the Rogers stage, but made it back to the Fest in time to catch the last 40 minutes or so of Manu Chao. Maaaannnnnnn I had a good time!

I did want to check out Toumani Diabate, but couldn't tear myself away from the fun.

I caught about 30 minutes of Manu Chao but I wasn't feeling it. It looked like people were having a lot of fun but I was expecting more variety. No doubt if I'd been more familiar with the tunes I'd have gotten into it more.

I have to echo the praise for Toumani Diabaté. He and his band were magic. I daresay I even heard a little Jerry in the guitar players' licks.

n607020972_275545_2852.jpg

More photos

Who else was distracted by the text messages on the video screen during Manu Chao? Some of the good ones I saw:

"Tell the bass player to put his shirt on."

"Sit down you're blocking my view."

"Stand up and dance."

"Who's got papers?"

"Evan in Glory. Hole Rocks"

I'm so surprised I didna see the lot of you at BlackSheep/Toumani Diabaté last night.

While I was tired, and unfortunately stone-cold sober, and so spent some time sitting (an anomaly for me, for sure), I felt truly honoured and priviledged to be part of that crowd and magic!!! What a gift!

Does anyone remember the the name of the project described ("Symmetrical" something , maybe) where there was one musician from each modern country to represent a 700 year old tribe of afrikka?

It does me proud to be in a crowd of music-lovers who give the love right back to the band. Despite the language barriers, I thought we all communicated pretty well!!!

Manu was fun, but the Black Sheep stage was incredible. I couldn't go back for Manu after I settled in. Best show of Bluefest until the Whites showed up.

Did I see a message that said "Andre Bouchard, you had better be here" during the White Stripes last night?

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I agree with what you said bradm. Manu Chao was more about waving your hands up in the air than it was about music. Femi Kuti was incredible (2 weeks in a row). The percussionist for Femi was Killer. It was like a crack right through the middle of my skull.

n847650005_1133104_5631.jpg

n847650005_788678_8841.jpg

n847650005_792188_113.jpg

n847650005_792189_306.jpg

This was so amazing:

n847650005_788686_354.jpg