Jambands.ca

Just got my tickets to John McLaughlin

bagochips

I got an email from Massey Hall about a preshow gathering where ethnomusicologist (and a former prof of mine) Rob Bowman was going to be doing a presentation inside the hall. Damn, don't have that email here at work.

Here's the info on that preshow deal. Maybe there won't be many "friends" signing up and you could just beg Elizabeth to let you in :

FRIENDSFIRST & MARQUEE CLUB SPECIAL EVENT

Pre-Concert Chat with Rob Bowman

Join Grammy Award-winning ethnomusicologist, Rob Bowman in the Balcony Lounge at 7pm for complimentary refreshments and an informative chat about legendary guitarist, John McLaughlin.

This event is for FriendsFirst & Marquee members only.

To RSVP, or to find out more about our membership program, e-mail Elizabeth MacDonnell or phone 416-593-4822 ext. 379.

It was indeed an incredible show last night - best I've seen/heard McLaughlin.

Tremendous interplay by all over some complex material - badass players, all.

You can tell they've had this on the road for a bit... Really firing on all cylinders. Intense, but moments of real subtlety too.

Awesome!

Some moments were absolutely intense and that bass player knocked my teeth out. I got a short video of one of his solos and will post it later tonight via YouTube.

Some moments also contained some really cheesy 80's jazz sounds though and I will never past those, from any band, the rest of my days. Ever. Thankfully they were quite brief.

Tremendous interplay by all over some complex material

I couldnt believe the layering between John and the bass player. Quite often I was dumbfounded and just when I thought I had a grasp on it the drummer would make me remember that he had been carrying them home the entire time which made me uncontrollably drool.

I thought the sound was pretty awful for the first couple of numbers but dramatically improved. Over-all I thought it was an supremely excellent night of music and I am more than happy that I went. Thanks DaveyBoy.

Yeah, sorry for the false hopes people but YouTube is denying my request for upload because it is too big. I will probably try it on Facebook, or not. The sound didnt come through so well via my camera but it kinda gives you an idea of how insane this bass player is.

I plan to keep an eye out for him.

Hadrien Feraud:

2000686723351298933_fs.jpg

WOW! I enjoyed the Toronto show thoroughly... an amazing group of players.

Had never seen any of these guys, and know only a sampling of John McLaughlin's catalog, but was blown away the second song in. Two on drums and the bass dude leading the way. McLaughlin just stood back with a grin watching his sick, sick band warm up. I also liked the smile on drummer Mark Mondesir's face throughout. Watching them all smile, nod and communicate on stage, up close was a treat.

In a related story, Thorgnor's bizarro parents sat next to me. That was fun too!