Jambands.ca

Advice on the Caribbean islands?

Blane

Might have to be in Antigua for work in November and am thinking about adding a week of holiday time on at the end. I'm not a fan of the "club med" style holiday, and am more into hiking, mountains, snorkling, etc.

The better half wants beach, yoga and tranquility.

Any islands that you think match those descriptions? Antigua doesn't look like it does ,but there are easy flights to neighbouring islands. My first impression was that Dominican Republic might be good, but I really have no experience in this region.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

price isn't really the concern, but basically i'm dead against the "frat party" experience and the "all-inclusive with pizza for the kids" experience, so I'll probably be relegated to more of a backpacker type scene anyway. just don't have any idea where you find that in the Caribbean.

Bonaire is fantastic, although not really in the same neighbourhood. It's over near Curacao. Totally chill place, and not at all overrun by corporate America. They don't even have a McDonald's on the island.

That said, they also don't have too many sandy beaches. They have a few, but the island and surrounding waters are protected environment, so most of the beaches are covered with corral and shells.

It is also a world-Mecca for SCUBA diving.

I want to live there, frankly.

Turks and Caicos. Hands down the best island after Saba Island off of St Maarten. I dont know if they allow tourists to stay overnight on Saba, all my trips there were day trips via Cessna flight costing $45 US.

T&C isnt a tourist destination for the most part and is really quiet. The native island people we encountered there were fantastic, welcoming and friendly. One lady we met in a market even invited us to dinner when she found out I was a Chef.

Jamaica is awesome if you go to the right spots!

I'd suggest Great Bay on the south shore in the parish of St.Elizabeth. Quiet, nice beaches, good hiking, cheap and friendly

check here

Just off the coast of Antigua is Montserrat..not very touristy, small and recovering from a volcano in 1995 that did a lot of physical and economical damage.

In July 1995, Montserrat's Soufriere Hills volcano, dormant throughout recorded history, rumbled to life and began an eruption which eventually buried the island's capital, Plymouth, in more than 40 feet (12 m) of mud, destroyed its airport and docking facilities, and rendered the southern half of the island uninhabitable. This forced more than half of the population to flee the island because they lacked housing. After a period of regular eruptive events during the late 1990s including one on June 25, 1997 in which 19 people lost their lives, the volcano's activity in recent years has been confined mostly to infrequent ventings of ash into the uninhabited areas in the south. However, this ash venting does occasionally extend into the populated areas of the northern and western parts of the island. As an example, on May 20, 2006, the lava dome that had been slowly building collapsed, resulting in an ashfall of about an inch (2.5 cm) in Old Towne and parts of Olveston. There were no injuries or significant property damage.

View of the dome of Montserrat's Soufriere Hills Volcano, taken from MVO (April 2007).

View of the dome of Montserrat's Soufriere Hills

Long referred to as "The Emerald Isle of the Caribbean" for both its Irish heritage and its resemblance to coastal Ireland, Montserrat today remains lush and green. A new airport, opened officially by the Princess Royal Princess Anne in February 2005, received its first commercial flights on July 11, 2005, and docking facilities are in place at Little Bay where a new capital is being constructed out of reach of any further volcanic activity.

The people of Montserrat were granted full residency rights in the United Kingdom in 1998, and citizenship was granted in 2002.

Montserrat Volcano Observatory

You can't beat Cuba for its culture, safety and relative cleanliness. The Dominican Republic is one of the poorest countries in the world and the three or four cities I visited were pretty scary - I wouldn't feel safe at all backpacking around the island. Also, I'd skip Margarita Island in Venezuela.

thanks for some cool ideas folks! Definately saw some other mentions of Saba in my searches, and the cheap flights as well.

Havana would be nice, but the girlfriend has already been to cuba so I'll have to check into it.

never somewhere I'd planned on travelling so this is all pretty new terrain.

I loved Belize as well. I would recommend Hamanasi Eco-Resort. Lots of adventure-type stuff, terrific food and it's very small (not touristy). Get a tree-house upgrade and you'll be glad you did. Everyone check this place out. We adored it.

If you haven't been to Cuba Blane, it's probably worth going while it's still unique. With Castro's death pending, there's no doubt that 5 years from now it will begin to loose it's old-world, simplistic (communist) charm. I love traveling where there isn't a franchise to be seen. I couldn't really recommend a spot. We stayed at Barcelo Solymar in Veradero. A nice town but it definitely caters to tourists.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to relax on a beach! It can be just as good for you as an adventure in the hills. ;)

• 1 month later...

thought I'd bump this back up now that I'm back. Ended up going to Jamaica, which, ironically, wasn't even on my list of places to consider. Still the girlfriend wanted yoga and they had a log of facilities, as well as a good variety of my types of activity. Ended up having a great time.

Here's a couple photos:

2046676641_d680e10b76.jpg

2046676461_e3dab3f985.jpg

2047468050_78a0a9bb02.jpg

2046678555_6f59e6a2be.jpg

2046679771_07ded97380.jpg

2047470420_f285da1f8f.jpg

2046680877_38b9995f81.jpg

2047471536_8cc213ff94.jpg

2047472108_b73450521d.jpg

2046682387_93d0b40a2a.jpg

2046682901_ed46fc4a6f.jpg