Jambands.ca

the school house blues

mikey d

i finished my third day of my grade 12 year. i have to say, i absolutely HATE being back in school, for a number of reasons. and i don't mean your typical teenage-angst-i-hate-school-bullshit; i mean i realy hate being back in school with every ounce of my being.

I just finished one of the best and funnest summers of my life. I spent the entire time jsut chillin with my friends, jamming, gigging, and going to shows. The summer ended with about 50% of my closest friends moving away to school. My girlfriend of 2 years moved away to UBC, and we decided to break it off. The band I've been playing with broke up due to our singer moving away, after us getting an excellent start over the last 5 months.

i go to school to realize the extreme amount of people gone fro my school. with the double cohort i lost two-grades worth of friends. as i said, about 50% of them moved away, and alot are staying in town but didn't come back to school. I'm not the type of person at school we sticks only within my closec group of friends, and there IS still alot of people left that i can atleast talk to and hang out with, but the fact that my best and closest friends are mostly all gone realy leaves me lost and distraught.

I am still completely in a summer-partying frame of mind. i simply cannot stop smoking pot all day just because school has started. I don't have a hard semester or anything, and its not a big deal, but just sitting outside smoking some grass with my friends almost brings a tear to my eye. i wish i still had the freedom I had. This summer truly was the most care-free time of my life; i had no school, no job, no worries. i still want to go out every night and hang out all night smoking weed, drinking, jamming, whatever with my friends (atleast thoughs that are left), but I have to wake up 5 days a week at 7 in the morning and go back to that fucking place.

needless to say, I am not pleased, and my sister's justin timberlake in the background drowning out my tom waits is pissing me off further. i'm just hoping things will get better with this whole school situation. I'm not planning on dropping out or anything, and this IS my last year, but so far its been 3 rough days . . .

Could be worse. You could be a teacher and feel the same way. [Wink] But seriously, hang in there, kid. Hopefully you'll find your solice somewhere soon, learn something cool and before you know it five years will have passed and you'll be done any and all schooling and on to a time in your life where you may not even get the luxury of the summer you bemoan so. Just a little perspective from someone whose been there (and for that matter, in many ways, remains there) Good luck.

PS Take History.

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

But seriously, hang in there, kid. Hopefully you'll find your solice somewhere soon, learn something cool and before you know it five years will have passed and you'll be done any and all schooling and on to a time in your life where you may not even get the luxury of the summer you bemoan so. Just a little perspective from someone whose been there (and for that matter, in many ways, remains there) Good luck.

Well put!

peace

PS Take History.

Funny, I just returned from walking around Carleton campus putting up posters and I got a huge nostalgia rush, especially in res. "Man, I wish I was back here" is what I said. To a lesser extent, I'm sure I would say the same thing if I was walking around my old high school tonight.

Man, you're in Grade 12, the top of the pile! You are on the cusp of the good old days, and whether you enjoy it or not, I'm sure you'll look back on these times with happiness, so you might as well enjoy it.

Geez, I can't believe I'm trying to convince someone in their senior year of high school to have fun. You'll have fun no matter what you do, and probably more fun because you hate school and will thus have to devise many coping strategies.

hey sweetie, don't fret. i'm going thru the same thing right now, i just started my first week of teacher's college at western. it's been a real challenge trying to get back into the swing of things. new apartment, new city, new roommate, new school, and sooo much reading!! i haven't done much schoolwork since... well i don't even know when. and on top of that, leaving my buddies and pseudo-boyfriend back in sweet sweet victoria... to say the least it hasn't been easy. it'll get better though, just push on thru. it'll be over before you know it. the initial shock after summer is always a stinger. now enjoy the fall...

cheers [Wink]

If I can bring a couple of points to this. First off, I wish I could go back to high school and pick up high school girls again. I think I got it figured out know. They do get better with age, but they'll never be the same in the chestal region...I am gonna get shit for this I know...

Second, let me tell you about my last roomate Drew. This guy once told me when I asked him why he was so pissed off alla time, that he won't be happy till he makes his millions. He is living in the future. You are living in the past. Be happy for what you had, but do not let the memory of happiness take away from your ability to be happy in the moment. It takes more mental energy to feel sorry for yourself than to be happy, it just feels better to be sad because you put all your energy in the self. The attitude of "things were better five minutes ago" is self-indulgent and all self-indulgent behaviour should be avoided. Since it is frowned upon for an adult to throw a tantrum ,we sulk, but it;s the same brtain waves and thought patterns. Do you really want to be a sulky baby. Be happy all the time. Once you start you'll realize it's not too hard.

You gotta give'r while the give'n'r is good! I'm going bakc to York U for my third year of Anthro so no hopes of a job comin'from that. [Frown] I'm 15-grand in debt to the Gov. [Eek!] I'm communting from Kitchener to Toronto by Greyhound. I'm 25 and I live with my parents [Embarrassed] and I don't have job so I'm not sure that I can even commute... But I'm still gonna have fun every last fuckin'second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [big Grin]

Could be worse bro... You might not have had the friends in the first place. [Razz]

Not to mention the fact that now as a 25 year old I have to deal with all your damn 17 year old retarded friends making my school look like daycare. I can just see the hallways now...

Hey, shut up over there!!! I'm trying to study this bottle of Jagermeister!!!!!

"What's Chagermaster???!?!?!?!?

[big Grin]

What's Chagermeister? HAHA, classic...that was what I asked my brother when I was 16 and went to visit him at McGill.

Anyways, in addition to what I wrote above and if you are interested in learning how to laugh at life a bit more, read Carlos Castaneda's first six books. Don't spend too much time with the first two. They are about drugs and are actually a red-herring. The third thru sixth books will really open you mind and your eyes to the folly most men live in everyday. Don Juan calls the brujo's viewpoint controlled folly. It is a much nicer and more amusing way of living and thinking.

For real! Castenada is mad liberating. Does anybody else know how to transform into a wolf like him? I doubt it! [Roll Eyes]

Also check out Wade Davis, Canadian Anthropologist/Ethnobiographer who wrote The Serpent & The Rainbow. Berry, berry interessing! Not to mention that he's a guy who knows how to relax. [smile]

Oh yeah, and a little more advice there friend...

I'm not clear on the concept, here. Are you depressed because:

--You had a great summer?

--You broke up with your girlfriend so she could do something to improve her life?

--Many of your friends are doing the same?

--You had a great time with your band, but it didn't work out?

--You have one more year of school before you have to figure out how to pay tuition or get a full-time job?

Even from here, I can't see a single thing there that doesn't have a clear up-side to it.

(Feel free to accuse me of being a blind optimist. I could use the giggle.)

quote:

Originally posted by meggo:

hey sweetie, don't fret. i'm going thru the same thing right now, i just started my first week of teacher's college at western. it's been a real challenge trying to get back into the swing of things. new apartment, new city, new roommate, new school, and sooo much reading!! i haven't done much schoolwork since...

Don't worry - after about two weeks, you'll realise that you can sleep-walk your way through that program (with the exception of your practica, of course). If scottieking and I both did it - and at the same time, no less - you can too.

Looking back, I truly miss school; university more-so than high school. It was and still is an easy life. Hell, even if you half-ass apply yourself, you can't help but learn something. Replace that want to party with a want to get the hell out of grade 12 on good academic terms. You're 18 years old. There's plenty of time for everything.

quote:

Originally posted by phish stick:

...i wish i still had the freedom I had. .

. .

I'm a single sole support parent of two 4 year olds. I can't even go to the corner store without taking them with me. THAT'S a loss of freedom.

My good friend was in an car accident and his back was broken, he's in a wheelchair. THAT'S a loss of freedom.

You're in highschool. I'd kill a small rodent to be in your shoes. Give your head a shake and seize the day. You are sooooo lucky, when you realize that, you will be happy again.

Archived