Jambands.ca

New Speeding LAw

headymamamyrna

Think twice before you speed.

A Toronto Doctor was on his way to Montreal last Saturday with his family.He got caught on the 401 in Kingston going 155kms in his Mercedes Benz.

He had his license taken along with the Mercedes.

They had to go in the tow truck to a highway rest stop to call the family in Montreal to come and get them.

How horrible but that's the law now so everyone set your cruise control on the highway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too damn easy for law enforcement to catch speeders. The drivers who should be the ones being nailed are the ones who dart in and out of lanes, pass on the right, no signalling, talking on phones, using their CrackBerries (i see this all the time), etc. etc. etc.

To get them, would mean that law enforcement would have to actually be IN MOTION and not be able to print out as many tickets as you can i a speedtrap drinking your Timmy's and shovelling crullers into your face.

There's a total difference between speeding and driving safely and in a manner that others' can anticipate.

Time to make highway driving skills/rules MANDATORY in driving school.

Have you ever driven the Autobahn? It is very easy to drive on BECAUSE of how the drivers drive. Not to say that would work here, but it can work.

they have a set speed limit on the autobahn so you can get a ticket or whatever if you dont go the speed limit which is fast ,too crazy i like it here they go from 60 to 50 them 100 in eel ground ha ha friggen crazy or what

No need to go that far afield for unlimited speed limits there was a period of three years (96 through 99) that Montana didn't have a speed limit, it was actually printed on signs as:

"Reasonable and prudent"

(They had a set limit of 65MPH for transport trucks and for all vehicles at night)...

Of course once someone actually got a ticket for being unreasonable and/or not prudent and fought the ticket (which was thrown out for being too vague) they changed the speed limit to 75MPH... a few interstates in Texas actually have an 80MPH speed limit and a new class of highway in the US can have up to an 85MPH limit but none have been built yet...

I'd like to see the stats on Montana's experiment and even the other states that went from the national 55 pre-95 limit to a state-set 75 or 80MPH to see if there was an increase in accidents. I'd be more apt to compare our driving habits to American's than to German's, not to mention their population density (alright Montana excluded, I suppose it could compare to Alberta...), cars and interstates are more comparable to ours than Germany as well...

I personally feel 100KM/H is too slow a limit for our 4 lane highways myself... especially considering the going speed through the GTA seems to be between 130 and 140KM/H anyway.

drinking your Timmy's and shovelling crullers into your face.

wow. do you believe every stereotype on the planet?

LOL... nope, but I do seem to see more Chief Wiggums in uniform than not :)

Just yesterday I was watching a Cop direct traffic while having a cigarette. I found that to be wrong for some reason ... are they allowed to smoke while performing duty? I've seen them smoking in cruisers too :P Haven't seen a 'bike cop' smoking and riding yet

i think comparisons to the autobahn and roads in flat open montana are a bit misleading because the 400 series of highways in ontario are generally cut out of unbarricaded woodlands where deer, etc. can, and do, run out at any time, and where the roads follow the natural contour of the landscape, often creating some tricky turns. our highways are filled with the unexpected - weather, wildlife, layout, as well as other drivers.

i sense the justification for labeling speeds above 150 as "dangerous" is based on the idea that when you are going that fast, you have next to no time to react to the unexpected. can some people drive quite safely at those speeds? yes. but personally, i would rather not be in the car next to the guy driving his bitchin' bimmer like a bat out of hell when a deer runs out on the road. and when driving on urban highways, the obvious unexpected "obstacles" are the thousands of other tightly grouped cars all around you.

as far as 100 being too slow. i think by convention, police have already raised the limit by acknowledging that the average flow is around 120, and they do not generally ticket you for going that fast. 120 is safe to deal with the unexpected, 150 is not, even for the best of drivers. raising the posted limit to 120 would only encourage people to raise the conventional limit, to say 140 or so, which would become dangerous for everyone. or, would people rather raise the posted limit to 120 and then have cops / photo radar / whatever ticket every car that goes above 120? the result would be the same traffic flow at 120, i sense, but huge headaches to enforce and live with, so a net loss overall.

i grew out of speeding when i was like 22 years old. hopefully the new law will force people to grow up a bit sooner. there is no need to be going 150.

i love how this is some sort of story cause the guy is a doctor as if it makes a difference. once he's behind the wheel and going 155, he could be mother fucking theresa and he'd still be a hazard on the road. i'm glad they took away his car, and i hope it makes him think twice next time. if he wanted to arrive 15 minutes sooner he could have left 15 minutes earlier.

people who rabidly defend speeding need to step back, chill out, slow down, and take a look at themselves. ask yourself why you're in such a big damned hurry?

Five over the limit and you should lose your car. It's a speed LIMIT, not a speed suggestion.

Sounds to me like a lot of people that think this guy is a hazard speed themselves, but keep it in the under 120 range. It's nice that you can so easily condemn while you make up your own levels of safety.

If you think speeding is a hazard, don't speed. Anything else is blatant bullshit.

Oh, and I think the average driver is safer at 155 than at 100 and talking into a cellphone.

Cellphone users universally deny this because they are completely oblivious to the fact that their driving skills are comprimised when they are talking into their phones.

Agreed. I remember seeing a report a couple of years ago and the top reasons for accidents were (in no particular order):

1. cellphones

2. eating

3. smoking

4. fatigue

5. other distractions (crazy kids, etc.)

Other pet peeves that I have on the highway ... seeing people drive with HOODIES on (i mean covering their heads and blocking out all peripheral vision), people with dogs on their laps while trying to steer the car (i've done this in the past and it's dangerous, especially when they see a squirrel, park, other dogs, etc.) People driving with headphones on (shouldn't really be any different than driving with a loud stereo, but there's something about losing all ambient noise while driving that feels weird).

I rarely speed anymore. No point in being in a rush ... except when a show is about to start and you're running a little late .