Jambands.ca

New Speeding LAw

headymamamyrna

Five over the limit and you should lose your car. It's a speed LIMIT, not a speed suggestion.

Sounds to me like a lot of people that think this guy is a hazard speed themselves, but keep it in the under 120 range. It's nice that you can so easily condemn while you make up your own levels of safety.

If you think speeding is a hazard, don't speed. Anything else is blatant bullshit.

I disagree. I don't see speeding as a completely binary offence, where you're either going over the limit and driving dangerously, or going under it and driving safely (all other things being equal). There is a major difference in reaction time/control of the car, etc. when you are driving at, say 115 km/h versus 150 km/h. It's simple physics. You may think it's unnecessarily dangerous to drive at 115 km/h, which is fine, but the reality of the matter is that speeding becomes more dangerous the faster you go.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five over the limit and you should lose your car. It's a speed LIMIT' date=' not a speed suggestion.

Sounds to me like a lot of people that think this guy is a hazard speed themselves, but keep it in the under 120 range. It's nice that you can so easily condemn while you make up your own levels of safety.

If you think speeding is a hazard, don't speed. Anything else is blatant bullshit.[/quote']

I disagree. I don't see speeding as a completely binary offence, where you're either going over the limit and driving dangerously, or going under it and driving safely (all other things being equal). There is a major difference in reaction time/control of the car, etc. when you are driving at, say 115 km/h versus 150 km/h. It's simple physics. You may think it's unnecessarily dangerous to drive at 115 km/h, which is fine, but the reality of the matter is that speeding becomes more dangerous the faster you go.

Well said, Hartamophone. [color:purple]Velvet's post made me wonder if he actually drives. ;)

Five over the limit and you should lose your car. It's a speed LIMIT' date=' not a speed suggestion.

If you think speeding is a hazard, don't speed. Anything else is blatant bullshit.[/quote']

agreed.

when gas prices got really silly, i drove 100kmh on the 401 as a fuel economy experiment. I gave up soon in to it. doing 100 while people are screaming around you at 120 is also dangerous.

keeping up with the flow of traffic seems to be the safest bet.

1. cellphones

2. eating

3. smoking

4. fatigue

5. other distractions (crazy kids, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that a HUGE factor in many accidents is a lack of car maintenance. Many people drive around with cars making clunking noises just ignore it. Could be a tie rod or something else steering related. Lose your steering on a 2 lane highway doing 100 while a truck is coming at you in the other lane and chances are you're beeferoni.

Other pet peeves that I have on the highway ... seeing people drive with HOODIES on (i mean covering their heads and blocking out all peripheral vision), people with dogs on their laps while trying to steer the car....

Although not widely reported, some people choose to drive while being on the receiving end of "wind therapy", often with disasterous results. Remember folks, coming and going don't mix!

Soooo...what speed do you declare is safe for me to drive? 115? 120? 149? Is it safe to say that the physics involved in stopping a car at 115 is different than stopping a car at 100, or are cars equally safe at both speeds? Is it safe to say that the traffic people have done the math already and have clearly posted their results?

Who makes the rules here?

I've heard that the reactions of a senior citizens is similar to that of a person with a blood acohol of .1. Who is in bigger danger/ messing with the laws of 'physics' .1, the senior citizen,or the 'speeder.

*Do not forget the teenage drivers. Liers figure and ...

**Can you tell I've recently gotten a couple of tickets and am a little touchy about the subject.

I got cut off at a Tim Horton's DRIVE THRU on saturday. I was coming around, following the little yellow path and arrow that they paint so you can be directed to the drive thru order box and some guy comes flying in from the left, pulls in front of me and starts ordering!

I honked but he didn't give a shit. I should have told on him when it was my turn to order so they could serve him a coffee with spit but the good angel told me not to bother.

Soooo...what speed do you declare is safe for me to drive? 115? 120? 149? Is it safe to say that the physics involved in stopping a car at 115 is different than stopping a car at 100, or are cars equally safe at both speeds? Is it safe to say that the traffic people have done the math already and have clearly posted their results?

Who makes the rules here?

Yes, it absolutely is. The faster something is moving, the greater distance it will take to come to a complete stop. I don't know what the rationale is for given speed limits, but like I said before, I think it's entirely possible to drive safely while going above the posted speed limit.

As for where to draw the line, that's obviously a difficult task, as we're dealing with something (speed) that increases incrementally without ever achieving a critical mass that will suddenly make it "unsafe" where it wasn't before. Personally, I think that on major highways during dry daylight hours, it's possible to drive safely at 120 km/h, even though that doesn't guarantee that a moose won't jump out in front of your car and you'll end up dead. To that end, you're taking similar risks at 99km/h than you are at 140 km/h, just to a lesser degree.

Edited by Guest

Dr... You're the best. I use to love reading the 'funnies'-Calvin and Hobbes was the only one that could make me laugh out loud.

Back to the thread- I do not have any MAJOR problems with speed limits. What bothers me is that they took the guys car. I'm sorry to me thats a clear illustration of the govt. having wayyyyyy to much power. All in an effort to make us safer... NO THANKS.

Agreed. I remember seeing a report a couple of years ago and the top reasons for accidents were (in no particular order):

1. cellphones

2. eating

3. smoking

4. fatigue

5. other distractions (crazy kids, etc.)

where's 'Failure To Brake' on that list, Kev? :)

What bothers me is that they took the guys car. I'm sorry to me thats a clear illustration of the govt. having wayyyyyy to much power. All in an effort to make us safer... NO THANKS.

people that drive that fast and race in the streets don't deserve the privilege of a license and a vehicle. the government has to legislate this because the knobs who kill people clearly don't understand what they're doing.

I got cut off at a Tim Horton's DRIVE THRU on saturday. I was coming around, following the little yellow path and arrow that they paint so you can be directed to the drive thru order box and some guy comes flying in from the left, pulls in front of me and starts ordering!

I honked but he didn't give a shit. I should have told on him when it was my turn to order so they could serve him a coffee with spit but the good angel told me not to bother.

Fuck that...I would have been out of my car faster than you can say "double double" knocking on his window.