Jambands.ca

ROLL CALL: SAT. DEC. 1st @ LEE's PALACE w/ BNB, FATTIES & CJAM

Jay Funk Dawg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RUNNING BACK TO SASKATOON. WOW.

I too was disappointed about the mega jam being so short, but what they lacked in time they made up with content. I couldn't have guessed in a million years that we'd hear Running back to Saskatoon...a song near and dear to me. They did a stellar job, may as well have been the guess who on stage (jeff did an admirable b.Cummings).

My first concert ever was in grade nine, saw the Guess Who in a small guelph hockey arena. I guess you can say i became a slave to the groove :) at that point, walking in to the show rip-roarin' high for the first time at a concert, to my delight hearing Saskatoon in full swing. I haven't recalled that unique emotion for a long time, thank you so much for reminding me where it all started. There is a good chance I wouldn't have found this awesome community had it not been for that first show which pushed me in the right direction. I'm still giddy about hearing it last night!!!

I'll never forget it. My friend calls me at 6pm friday to ask if i want to go...His parents drove us out from toronto, caught a movie and picked us up after the show. Our seats were at the back of the floor section...I remember the whole stage having this tremendous shine to it...the lights all sparkley playing off the drum kit hardware, intertwining with the music. it was like a massage for my brain. That got the ball rolling for me, catching every jazz fest and amphitheatre show I could afford. All while enjoying each show high high high.

oh man...Sing another prairie tune!!!

BNB played

The Bench*

Strange Companion

Holes

Morning Cold

St Andrews

Not Yet

In The Belly

Speedbump*

Yellow Pants*#

Full Tilt*#

Distraction#

Running Back to Saskatoon@

* w/ Jeffrey Kornblum on percussion

# w/ Joeseph Shabason on Sax

and Vince Spilchuk on trumpet

@ w/ Todd Gillies, Mark Crissinger, Jeffrey

Kornblum and Jon McCann

anyone record??

Hahahahahaha!!! That's funny. The sound guy was the biggest dick-head I have encountered in my entire life. After telling me I was not allowed to record he told me he'd let me if I had a XLR hookup. I dug through my bag of stuff and get and XLR hookup figured out. Turns out it was the wrong gender. So, I went back into my bag and tried again. Turns out there was no way for me to get a female XLR down to a 1/8" jack. I found the sound guy, told him I couldn't find a way to do it and asked if there was any other possibily. His response was:

"I'm going to say this again really slowly this time since you're obviously so fuckin' stupid that you didn't understand the first time: THE BOARD ONLY HAS XLR OUTPUTS!!!!!"

I honestly can't believe someone would talk to someone else that way. It really put me off for a lot of the night. In retrospect, instead of walking away before he finished, I wish I had said, "wow, do you really need a hug?"

Anyway, no recording from me. I thought I saw a microphone in the middle of the room but I wasn't in the mood to think about recording anymore so I didn't approach to check it out.

Great show!

We had a sort of London,Ontario circa 1994-96 jambands reunion at the show...so great to see so many fantastic people I had lost touch with!!

Alot of those people went to the show for more nostalgic reasons then current affinity for the bands...and all were very impressed with the Fat Cats set.

howler...great to see you!!

c-towns..thanks for the afterparty laughter.

To everyone I babbled on about who knows what..you are very welcome.

Jay& the bands ..well done and Thank you!!

I had a fantastic night as well.

WHAT a turnout. That place was packed, and the energy throughout the room was great.

I will say though that I was dissapointed with the venue. The room was cool, but from the get-go when we arrived early for the boys to set up, there was a really needlessly intense vibe from the staff, sound guy, security, etc. Basically along the lines of what willy was talking about, but fortunately we managed to avoid being called fucking idiots (but I'm sure the sentiment was there). I also did hear a couple of choice comments graciously thrown around to some innocent party-goers from staff throughout the night, and that one chick at the end of the night that was trying to clear the place out (as confused hippies stared in bewilderment trying to finish their beers up before what would normally be considered last call) was just plain scary...I thought she was going to attack someone.

I also can't believe that they shut the bar down so early! That was also unecessary, and just plain...weird given that they must have been making a killing on bar sales, and the crowd was lovin' the music and peaceful. So that was a bit of a downer.

But all in all, the particular mix of canjam that night was just what the doctor ordered for me. I was in musical bliss all night.

The horns section throughout some old school burt tunes were definitely amongst my higlights!

Ride home was a total white-knuckler...wish I could have partied with all of you fine folks. The night just always seems to slip away when you're groovin the night away, and i would have loved more quality catch up time with some of yous, but this pregnant lady was already up way past her bedtime, and I had had my fill of fun for the night.

Thanks to all who contributed to my good time!

I as well had such a good time!! The music was what made it! The burties laid down some killer funky grooves The unfriendly venue was a bit of a downer. It was one of my first nights out since come together and unfortunately ended up blowing off a bit too much steam! The drive up to North Bay on sun was interesting to say the least. Thanks to all that made the show a great warm reunion of kind jamband folk. Loved it! :)