Jambands.ca

Bonnaroo line up...

ForbinHood

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lawsuits, napster, smugness. i really like this quote from them trying to sue a company ...

Attorneys for the gaming companies named in the lawsuit were bemused. "Our company paid a licensing fee to feature the track 'One' by Metallica in Guitar Hero III," counsel for Activision/Red Octane told reporters. "We don't understand why Metallica would turn around and sue us, unless they've gone from insane to completely batshit insane since 2001, but we're confident that the law and our contracts will be enough to have this thrown out."

full link

whatever floats your boat. I think there's "cover bands" and then there's really insane concepts like DSO, and they're not innapropriate at at event like Bonnaroo. The Lez Zep booking I bet was a bit of a joke/gift, given all the Zep rumours.

I just figure that this far into it's history, Bonnaroo is basically the US version of Glastonbury in the UK. Clearly, they wish to throw curveballs at the audience every year and break the mould of "JamBand Fest", but while retaining that spirit.

From an artists' point of view, I would imagine it's an honour to headline.

Even as someone who's yet to make it to the 'Roo, it's fun to see the reactions to the announcement every year! I'd be surprised if they don't have a couple of biggies still up their sleeves though.

What are people's thoughts on tribute acts making the fest?

I'll throw Serena Ryder in on that along with Lez Zeppelin too because Serena's only album with widespread sales is an album of middle of the road covers.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that tribute acts should not be at Bonnaroo. As for Serena Ryder, I could name several other acts of similar or bigger profile that could've taken her place. (SADIES!) Although its kinda cool to see a Peterboroughnian playing Bonnaroo.

edit: Oh yeah, DSO.... ah well looks like I just became a hypocrite.

Edited by Guest

I attended the first 4 Bonnaroo's and had a blast but I think smaller festivals like Langerado & Gratefulfest are the way to go IMHO.

The part I'm most interested in:

Bonnaroo’s Comedy Tent will return at full force, with appearances by David Cross, Janeane Garofalo, Zach Galifianakis, Jim Norton, Brian Posehn, Mike Birbiglia, John Mulaney and Michelle Buteau. Cross' performance is billed as Bonnaroo Late Time Chat About, "an original midnight talk show complete with a house band, comic skits and special guests."

...is probably not worth a 14 hour drive.

I remember going to this, I think I went with maxwebster???:

The Black Crowes, Warrant, Metallica & Aerosmith

Friday, Jun 29th, 1990 CNE Exhibition Stadium

Toronto, ON

Black Crowes setlist:

Thick N’ Thin ->

You’re Wrong

Twice As Hard

Sister Luck

It’s A Sin

Hard To Handle

Stare It Cold

Jealous Again

Struttin’ Blues

Metallica setlist:

Creeping Death

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Sanitarium

Harvestor of Sorrow

The Four Horsemen

Fade to Black

Seek & Destroy

Master of Puppets

One

Last Caress

Am I Evil?

Whiplash

Edited by Guest

Even though having Metalica as headliner is very hard to take given they suck extreamly hard these days and were a very negative band in their prime..

Still having the following bands in one place for one price is tempting:

Little Feat

Phil Lesh

DSO

Phil Lesh w/Larry Campbell acoustic (that'll kill!)

D.S.O

B.B. King

Israel Vibration

Gogol Bordello

Umphrey's McGee

Levon Helm

....however the fact the Kanye West is on the bill makes it a no go. I hate that guy, so arrogant and so full of himself. Great producer but a total baby! I won't support that...

Also as someone already said some of the bands are great, but really you could see them closer to home and in a more focused environment that is not so sweltering hot.

So basically unless they unleash some huge headliner ti's not worth it for me....

Bonnaroo is loosing it's vitality and focus by the year. For my money Langerdao has it beat by far.

sweet, less cars in the traffic jam this year!

it's funny, i don't like any of the artists you posted except BB King and Helm, although I haven't heard anything he's done since before I was born.

Looks like Bonnaroo has something for everyone to like! (But it's losing its 'vitality' apparently) :)

I remember going to this, I think I went with maxwebster???:

Toronto, ON

Black Crowes setlist:

Thick N’ Thin ->

You’re Wrong

Twice As Hard

Sister Luck

It’s A Sin

Hard To Handle

Stare It Cold

Jealous Again

Struttin’ Blues

Metallica setlist:

Creeping Death

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Sanitarium

Harvestor of Sorrow

The Four Horsemen

Fade to Black

Seek & Destroy

Master of Puppets

One

Last Caress

Am I Evil?

Whiplash

Yes I remember that show like it was yesterday.

Sebastian Bach sang "Last Child" with Aerosmith and Tommy Lee was there too. Metallica was at the top of their game.

Where's the Warrant and Aerosmith Setlists?

it's funny' date=' i don't like any of the artists you posted except BB King and Helm [/quote']

weird..in this thread (Top Ten Bluesfest Picks) you listed Gogol Bordello...I guess you forgot what you like

no, not really. i liked their performance at bluesfest but after listening to the discs realised there isn't much going on in their music. it was a good show, and it will be the same show next time. but i don't need to see it again.

i cant believe phil and friends won't be headlining over metallica and jack johnson....jeebus whats this world coming to

sure sure metallica may be "bigger" than phil but come on...metallica????? metallica and bonnaroo just don't seem to be synonmonous with each other...

but hey what do i know, im sure AD knows for sure the answer to it all anyway ;)

I remember going to this' date=' I think I went with maxwebster???:

Toronto, ON

Black Crowes setlist:

Thick N’ Thin ->

You’re Wrong

Twice As Hard

Sister Luck

It’s A Sin

Hard To Handle

Stare It Cold

Jealous Again

Struttin’ Blues

Metallica setlist:

Creeping Death

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Sanitarium

Harvestor of Sorrow

The Four Horsemen

Fade to Black

Seek & Destroy

Master of Puppets

One

Last Caress

Am I Evil?

Whiplash

[/quote']

Yes I remember that show like it was yesterday.

Sebastian Bach sang "Last Child" with Aerosmith and Tommy Lee was there too. Metallica was at the top of their game.

Where's the Warrant and Aerosmith Setlists?

Couldn't find Warrant and Aerosmith...if you stumble across it let me know what it was

i cant believe phil and friends won't be headlining over metallica and jack johnson....jeebus whats this world coming to

sure sure metallica may be "bigger" than phil but come on...metallica????? metallica and bonnaroo just don't seem to be synonmonous with each other...

but hey what do i know, im sure AD knows for sure the answer to it all anyway ;)

Phil aside, do you actually think that surfer hayseed Jack Johnson warrants headliner status over one the Top 5 biggest bands in the world?

Phil aside, do you actually think that surfer hayseed Jack Johnson warrants headliner status over one the Top 5 biggest bands in the world?

absolutely not, i guess my previous post made it seem llike i did??????

I interpreted that you were calling out AD half-jokingly. Oh well. I think Phil has earned an least honourary headliner status and should play the main stage whenever he wants. They should ship Jack off to the comedy tent.

Yeah, Metallica is a strange fit on paper, but it will all work out.

Phil can headline, fine with me. I just hope Bonnaroo doesn't disrespect Pearl Jam and Metallica and give them non-headlining slots. I'd have no problem with Phil headlining the What Stage one night and having Pearl Jam play a night show on the Which Stage like Primus did a few years ago. That would be epic. Metallica has to be on the big stage.

BUT, Phil and Friends, while having a history at Bonnaroo, don't automatically deserve a mainstage headliner spot. Not disrespecting Phil, but what has he done lately? You gotta think of safety too - if you schedule Metallica on a side-stage crowd control might become an issue - probably not with the docile hippies, but you never know.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing the schedule and seeing how this all plays out.

I hope Jack Johnson gets his ears popped by Lars' double kick pedal and ends up serving popcorn in the movie tent.

See above :)