Jambands.ca

card collections..

dancingbear

my bro and I used to collect cards. i remember one day this guy flitted a $10 bill in front of us (we were like 7 and 8 and we gave him a shoebox full of my dad's old hockeycards! anyhow i saw this on ebay

sports cards

and figured this would be a cool gift. he has all sports. does anyone know can this guy selling tell what cards are inside without opening the pack?

I had the same thing happen to my brother and I when we were 10ish. This bastard (who I still see around town and would like to throw eggs at) who was 15 years older than us paid us each $7 for our hockey card collections. He literally started a business in card sales from our collections and eventually had a nice shop downtown where he ripped off all sorts of little kids.

oh right, yes. Any vintage (pre 1990) card package was actually made from wax paper and can easily be opened and resealed.

my bro and I used to collect cards. i remember one day this guy flitted a $10 bill in front of us (we were like 7 and 8 and we gave him a shoebox full of my dad's old hockeycards!
I had the same thing happen to my brother and I when we were 10ish.

well at least you guys got money.

all I got were sweaty ju-jubes wedged way down in the front pockets of his pants. :(

I've got a pretty kick ass collection left myself. Nothing like that Parkhurst, but from my era I have at least 2 or 3 of everyones rookie cards (Messier, Gretz, Yzerman, Lemieux, Coffey, Fuhr, Bourque, MacInnis) and a few complete sets in binders in mint condition. As for baseball I now own the most useless collection of Clemens cards going: 1 of every card with his image on it from his rookie year (1985 for Fleer, Topps and Donruss) up until 1995 including 2 of all Starting Lineup figures.

When I was in University, my brother and I used to run a comic/card shop. When I sold the business I sold it with 80,000 (most only worth a cent or two but there was some really good stuff) cards and about 15,000 comic books. I kept a few good things. My favorite is my 1953 Mickey Mantle. It's soooo cool. If it was the year before it would be worth a fortune. I'm sure it's worth something but I don't care. I love the card. I also have Bobby Orr's 2nd year card which is pretty cool too. The only other thing I wished I kept was the 1989 Upper Deck baseball, upper deck's first set. It was beautiful and revolutioized the card industry.

I also had the original "Magic" cards. I sold them for the cover value as they were new and essentially worthless. Boy was I wrong. Really really wrong but who knew they would take off and become a sensation amongst role players? (For the record I never once played Magic the gathering.) I used to sell a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons stuff also, again I never played. Just sold the stuff. I used to love seeing the roleplayers come in, they'd spend lots of money on that shit.

Edited by Guest

I too was a kid who got swindled out of his best cards.

Old man in the town opened a shop, and basically convinced me to give him a bunch of cool cards I had in exchange for a bunch of crap.

I had a few 1952 topps baseball cards in mind (i mean MINT) condition from a kid's grandma. They were all just singles (no "name" players) but still highly worth hanging on to in hindsight. Instead I traded them for sets like "heroes of hockey" and shit like that from 1990 that is basically worthless now.

In some kind of wierd justice, the guy's shop burned down not long after that.

I also had a binder of my favorites (lemieux rookie, bunch of other rookies from the 80s) stolen from my locker in 9th grade at the height of the card trading craze. I'm still saddened by the loss.

Edited by Guest

Back in the day, 1 of my 2 Gretz rookies made a great motor sound when closepinned to the back tire of my Huffy. The front tire was devoted to my only Grant Fuhr rookie. The sound replication was short lived with the cards and for some reason I always picked the best of my O-Pee-Chee collection.

My bike was still one of the cooler ones on the street. By todays standards it would likely be the most valuable at any given time. Steve Yzerman, Dennis Potvin, Mike Bossy, Rick Vaive, Wendel Clark, Chris Chelios, and many other marquee players had their collector cards run through those steel spokes if only I would have known about Jo Jo and her psychic alliance back in the 80's I could be a wealthy man right now.