3/4 cup chopped tomato

1/3 cup hot water

2 Tbsp. chopped black olives 2 Tbsp. chopped onion

2 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine

3/4 tsp. leaf oregano

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

3 large green peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded

Method:

Combine all ingredients except green peppers. Stuff each green pepper half with mixture; place in center of a 9" square of aluminum foil. Mold and shape foil to fit contours of each green pepper leaving tops uncovered. Grill over medium heat about 25 to 30 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Place single large sheet of foil over tops of peppers during last 10 minutes to thoroughly cook top edges. Makes 6 servings.

AND......

Grilled Asparagus with Prosciutto and Orange Mayonnaise BBQ Recipe

A great recipe for Sunday brunch!

For the mayonnaise:

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon fresh orange juice

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Pinch cayenne

1 pound large asparagus, tough ends removed

1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto

To make the mayonnaise: In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise ingredients.

Place the asparagus on a plate or platter. Drizzle the olive oil over the spears and turn to coat evenly. Season with the salt and pepper.

Grill the asparagus over Direct Medium heat until browned and tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill and keep warm.

Grill the prosciutto slices over Direct Medium heat just until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill and cut each slice into pieces about 2 inches across.

Arrange the prosciutto and asparagus on four plates and spoon the mayonnaise over the top. Serve immediately.

You wont be dissappointed

Ingredients

* 8 of the largest, most glamorous Portobellos you can find

* 1 medium yellow onion

* 1 red bell pepper

* 1 green bell pepper

* Several tablespoons of olive oil

* 8 - 3" square, thinly-sliced pieces of Havarti cheese

* Salt and pepper to taste

Preparations

Remove the stem from the mushrooms, and clean the caps thoroughly. Invest in a mushroom brush, if you will remember that you have one the next time you need one. Otherwise, use a wet paper towel to scrub the caps, taking care not to break the caps in your hand. You want the caps intact.

Slice the onions and the red & green bell peppers into 1/2" strips. Sauté the onions and peppers in olive oil until slightly browned. Lay the freshly cleaned mushroom cups topside down on a large cookie sheet, and "mound" the onions and peppers on top of the caps.

Carefully lower the mushroom caps onto the BBQ grill using a spatula -- hopefully adjacent to your salmon steaks -- and leave them there for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then place a slice of Havarti on each cap. Leave on the grill just long enough to let the cheese melt.

this is what happened. I forgot to revisit this post, but MarcO's was the closest so he wins the golden tongs.

I grabbed some sweet potatoes, asparagus and a very nice striploin. We tend to portion out 1 striploin for 2. It's amazing how much steak we are conditioned to think is one portion.

I setup the hardwood in the chimney starter and got it glowing in about 20 minutes. I spread the now glowing coals out on the lower grill and then I put the sweet potatoes DIRECTLY on the coals. I turned them after about 3 rock band songs (approx 15 minutes) and continued until the entire outer skin was charred.

After the 2nd turn, i started another back of hardwood coal in the chimney starter to be ready for the meat and asparagus.

I brushed the asparagus with sesame oil, soya sauce, minced garlic, and sprinkled on some coarse salt, lotsa pepper and sesame seeds.

I seasoned the meat liberally with coarse salt and pepper.

at this point the grill was hotter than our gas bbq ever was. the sizzling noise was almost deafening when I laid my meat out.

after I charred up the one side, I added the asparagus. by the time I had let the meat rest of the grill, everything was ready. The potatoes were dressed with a maple-cinnamon butter that I prepared in between rock band songs. (4 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp freshly tapped maple syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon)

delicious meal all grilled.

Very nice Very nice! You shoudl buy a nice Porterhouse if yea want a good striploin though, The porterhouse is the first 10-12 cuts off of the top of the loin and usually consist of having alot of beautiful marbling, See the strip loin is just the large part of a loin cut without the bone( you pay more for labour of the butcher to remove the bone) But if you get a nice porter house you get a beautiful Striploin and a good peice of Tenderloin (usually quite expensive by itself) and you get the great flavour of the marrow in the bone when cooked. But if you lookin for price Savings when you shopping most butchers or meat cutters will just take Wing steak( cheaper bottom of the loin cut) de-bone it and make the price up a few dollars more and call it NY Stirploin, So if you want a nice striploin at cheap price Try looking at a nice wing steak and just take the bone off yourself

Edited by Guest

wing steak? I've never heard of that or seen it labelled. is there another name to look for?

I used to buy ribeye until our regular butcher at the time started offering meat buying tips. He told me I was wasting my money buying meat off the bone. So I started getting full prime rib steaks. however, they end up being much more meat for one. Sharon and I recently started portioning the cuts together so things like this end up cheaper when you eat less meat than expected.

I love meat buying tips. I honestly can't say that I see the full porterhouse cut when we're at the YIG. I know that we can ask for whatever we want though.

keep the tips flowing.

IMG_3337_sharp.jpg

Bigger half(bottom)is the "NY Striploin" and the smaller(top) is a nice peice of Tenderloin

As for Wing Steak, Its the bottom cuts of the loin and do not have any of the tenderloin on it It goes from front to bottom of the loin being Porterhouse, T-bone, then Wing steak

Heres a breakdown of the beef

carcass_breakdown.gif

Edited by Guest

According to that graphic, New England is Chuck and Florida is Shank.

The other day I bought a Hangar steak at Saslove's. I hadn't cooked it before but it was embarassingly cheap. $11 served 6 of us planty of meat. It was also nice and tender and didn't require a long marinade the way flank steak seems to need. I love flank too but it's no longer a cheap cut, I guess because it's more popular.

Hickster do you have any recipes or suggestions for blade steaks and other cheap cuts of steak? I'm full of ideas for chuck and the braising cuts but I don't know if I've ever made anything with a blade steak before.

Blade steak is a good steak, but it is pretty much a stewing steak, but it you were to braise it I think that would do well it if full of flavour due to the bone content but can be tough its if its grilled, but I mean I know people that swear by it as a BBQ steak but I wouldnt BBQ it unless it was long marinaded or being tossed in the beautiful stew, But it usually is a cheaper steak, and I would deffinatly add it to stew or braise it

Any other good cheap steak option is the flank steak, its usually really cheap but can usually be tough so whenever I get one I will give it a good bash with the mallet on both sides tenderising it then let it sit for a good long time in a marinade of your choice then throw it on the barbie!