Jambands.ca

uhh... who should I vote for?

NewRider

I've come up with another criterion to use when selecting a candidate: diversity encouragement.

For example, the Green Party is fielding a candidate in every riding in the province, yet, for reasons unknown to me, have been excluded from things like the leaders' debate.

In my opinion, a healthy political climate is one in which people who want to run, regardless of whether they're part of a major party or not, will feel that running is a viable option for them. The other extreme would be a two- or a one-party system (e.g., as exists in the U.S.A.) which narrows political focus and eliminates options for people.

So, if you don't like any of the major candidates, see if you can find a "fringe" party (like the Greens, or maybe a Marijuana Party candidate) to vote for, not necessarily because they'll win, but to give them enough votes to either achieve status in the next election, or at least as encouragement for them to run in the next election.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

If you don't want the Conservatives to be in power then vote Liberal. No other party has a chance to compete for power.

I'm thinking along these lines too but I think you can narrow it down even more by looking at your local riding.. Find out what the odds are of who's going to likely win in your area and then go from there. For me, it would go like this:

- if it looks like its a tight race between the PC's and the Liberals in my area, I'm gonna go with Liberals.

- if it looks like the Liberals are definitely gonna win (in my area), then I'm gonna go with NDP.

- if it looks like the PC's are definitely gonna win (in my area) then I'd go with.. anyone really (besides PC's).

I'm voting Green because they seem most sincere. I don't care if they're don't have a chance. I won't vote for a group I don't stand behind just so they have a better chance of beating who I like least. If everyone voted (for one), and everyone voted for who they believe is best for the job than maybe the little guys would have a chance. I live in a "rich" area, my teeny house surrounded by big mansions with big blue signs. I would love to have a big Green sign in my yard. I'll have to get around to getting that sign tomorrow [smile]

quote:

I'm voting Green because they seem most sincere.

i agree with that, they do seem to be the ones who aren't beating around the bush, or hiding anything behind their backs. but at the same time, i find alot of the green party's ideas unrealistic for the time being, though good ideas nonetheless. i just cant see alot of the ideas they promote working out in the near future. i will still vote for them. if i only could choose from one of the major parties id probably go with ndp, or maybe liberal. definately not PC.

hmmm, ya'll dont like the pc's eh?

thats what party rules my household...

four working class people...i guess thats why they all like PC.

i have a few friends who 'work' for the ndp, but they are too pushy....

of course, i hate the PC commercials talking about how we need a real leader who has taken us through the energy crises, the blackout, etc.

thats bs.

anyways, i hate politics...

It's so complicated. [smile]

Wouldn't it be very un-"green" to put a cardboard sign on your lawn?

The thing is, who the hell wants to be led by a nimrod named Dalton? Ew... I'm horrified to consider that guy running the shop. Ernie seems evil, I don't like him either. Boy, I wish Mike Harris was still around. [smile]

\/\/

PS: I really think that people need to vote for the party who's platform they're committed to. Voting against someone just doesn't make sense IMHO.

I think KevO has the best approach IMO:

"- if it looks like its a tight race between the PC's and the Liberals in my area, I'm gonna go with Liberals.

- if it looks like the Liberals are definitely gonna win (in my area), then I'm gonna go with NDP.

- if it looks like the PC's are definitely gonna win (in my area) then I'd go with.. anyone really (besides PC's)."

PS - the leaders debate is tonight at 6:30, watch it and make an informed decision!

Yo all! I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of McGuinty personally, but he's the only one so far that I've heard with any actual ideas that make sense. One that jumps to mind is putting a limit on classroom sizes for grades below 3 to (I think it was) 25 students tops, and using the money from cancelling the stupid private school tax credit to pay for extra teachers as needed. As someone who as a lot of friends with kids who are going to be entering school in the next couple years, and as someone with a number of friends who are primary school teachers and are going out of their minds, this is a great idea.

Oh, and I'll also say as someone with a decently-large mortgage, I'd much rather pay a couple hundred extra bucks in taxes per year and know that my working class friends' kids are getting a decent education in the public system while my rich Rosedale neighbors are playing full-fright for their private schools. Not to mention health care, don't even get me started...

Anyway, as much as I like Howard Hampton personally more than Dalton, I'm definitely going Liberal this time out.

All that said, I'm totally with Hux on watching the debate and making up your own mind on this stuff.

Peace,

Mr. M.

i'm one of those who believes

1. we should all vote

2. we should vote for who we want to represent us --- as hard as it is to 'waste' a vote on a party that is very unlikely to win, i cannot vote for someone i don't believe in. if nothing more, i feel good about using my vote to send a message to the greens (in my case) that they do have support beyond their members in the community. it frustrates me when i talk to friends/acquaintances who want the greens (or another 'fringe' party) in power, but use their voting strategy to go against their least favourite.

if you want real change, vote for who ya think will make it happen!!! it's up to each one of us!

S A T A N

no wait, don't vote PC

(a good point Hux, another good example was Mulroney getting in for a second term due to the "young" vote not feeling there was anyone to vote for and the "Left" being split between NDP, Liberal and fringe parties. Worst few years of my life in Canada and we're still hurtin from it. Anything should have been done to stop "the chin in the banker's suit".)

If you can't be bothered to follow the issues, why are you going to vote in the first place?

Seriously, isn't it a little irresponsible - as a voter - to come on to a message board and say, "Tell me who to vote for"? Why are you listening to us, and not to yourself? [Confused]

And if you're not voting because you don't trust/believe in/feel represented by any party, here's what you do: decline your ballot. Go to the polling station, register, and when the give you your ballot, tell them politely that you are declining to vote. It is recorded as a declined vote, rather than as someone who just didn't vote. If everyone who didn't vote because they don't trust politicians (as opposed to because they were too lazy), this would make an impact... maybe. Maybe not, but it's better than just not voting, anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

isn't it a little irresponsible - as a voter - to come on to a message board and say, "Tell me who to vote for"?

I don't know there Bri, I don't see a problem with asking and listening to the opinions of your peers... not all of us are politics geeks

until this leadership debate tonight I myself felt like the platforms of the different parties were somewhat vague to obscure

personally I form a lot of my opinions by listening to the opinions of others (usually drunken arguments at Polo's - ever notice the similarities between NDPers and Jehovas?)

kudos to NewRider for inquiring, beats just lightin up another one and not bothering

Certainly it's a better approach than not inquiring at all, it's just that very few of the responses listed why they were going to be voting the way that they were (some did, of course, but not many). And perhaps they didn't respond that way because the question didn't ask why in the first place.

Certainly, I too have had my opinions changed through listening to other people jaw about an issue - and, like you Jhamie, they have often been over too many beers at Polo's - actually, they have often been with you over too many beers at Polo's.

I guess this thread just reminded me of a girl I dated in university who used to vote for whoever her father told her to vote for - which annoyed me. [Embarrassed]

Conservatives - suck corporate cock and continue privatizing public services... (ie - feed the rich, screw the average to unemployed or unhealthy folk)

Liberals - stop eating corporate wads and stop/reverse privitization with a focus on the environment, education, health care and higher paying jobs (ie - look out for everyone and make the corporations pay their fair share... they say we can't cut taxes to afford to improve the province)

NDP - tax cuts for all, improved social services, education, health care, etc. (ie - much like the liberal stance except more focused on the tax cut angle... could be selling the farm, I'd have to see the province's books)

personally I like the middle road (Liberal)

thats my, Hamilton inspired, quick run down of how I see it (lookin forward to an argument at Polo's soon buddy)

Archived