Jambands.ca

Murray Street Restaurant

bouche

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a rumor about another charcuterie bar opening soon in Ottawa...no menus, just a chalkboard that changes every week!

Stephen Beckta is opening a new restaurant at 1 York Street that will feature home-cured cheeses and charcuterie will be on the first floor, and the rest of the restaurant will be on the second.

You might be thinking of Moonroom though. It's opening late this month on Preston Street.

For more details on both, check out Ron Eade's blog . A very good source of info for Ottawa Food-things.

I didn't have my 2 megapixel camera with me..sorry!

Great service and great food. In true Bistro style it gets a bit noisy when it's full (as it was last night) but who cares when the food was THIS good!

We started with a few selections from the charcuteri bar - Lamb rillettes, a house made terrine and a wedge of Sauvagines cheese. The accompaniments included tart cherries sokaed in brandy, rum-spiked raisns and house-cured olives, plus some nice crostini.

The mains list was divded into apps, "small plates" and "large plates". Local and Canadian products are almost exclusively represented on the menu (Bearbrook Farms, Wild Perch and Walleye, Wild BC Salmons, Smoked salmon sourced through Whalesbone, etc).

Katie had confit duck with gooseberry compote and a warm lentil and duck sausage salad. the confit was good, the compote better but the lentil salad was awe-inspiring. I could've eaten a bowl of just that and be happy.

I had a braised short rib with hand-cut spaetzle and green beans. I've never had a perfect short rib until now. It'd been braised until tender but not into a mushy disintegrated mass. Then it was seared on all sides and arrived atop perfectly chewy spaetzle. I just ate lunch but I'm drooling anyway.

The charcuterie, two entrees and a bottle of mid-priced Syrah was $110 plus tip...not a cheap night out but very reasonable and with great service and execution by the chef.

Highly recommend a visit!