Jambands.ca

Radiohead Roll Call T.O.

scottieking

Wow! Just got home and can't wait to rave about this show.

Some rando thoughts:

First off, I have never seen the Molson Amp. that rammed in my life. The lawns were packed!

The show was phenomenal. I loved that most songs got rearrangements or additions instrumentally. The Amnesiac stuff really takes on different form live. More soul. As well, The Gloaming was over the top and a song I didn't expect to blow me away. KevO asked me today if there were any "bust out moments" I would say, not having seen alot of the setlists this tour that Talk Show Host and Planet Telex would be but I was really happy to hear both.

Johnny Greenwood has been elevated in greatness status even more in my eyes. Thom was a great entertainer and the drummer is on fire.

The lights were the greatest light experience I've had post Chris K. Genius, beautiful, indescribable.

Pray someone taped this.

Amazing show last night!!! This was my first time seeing Radiohead. I had a lawn ticket, but miraculously I came into possession of three FLOOR wristbands just before the show. I couldn't get a hold of my friends, who had tickets in the 200s or 300s.. So at this point I was in the beer line looking around to figure out who to give these wristbands to. Then I noticed Bones and Bob standing right beside me! It was great to take in the show on the floor with Bones. For no good reason, I am not fully acquainted with the Radiohead catalogue, but have heard most of it at some point or another, and of course I've been listening to In Rainbows religiously. So many beautiful moments last night, indeed a well oiled machine they are. The lights and stage show was insane.

- Videotape live was a real treat; I remember it occurring to me that this is one of my least favourites on the album, but was a standout in the live setting

- At the end of the very last tune, Thom took off and but the rest of the band was still onstage and launched into this really cool techno remix that went on for maybe 2 minutes. I recall thinking that I could easily get into a full show in that vein alone!

That's about it. So glad I got to see this band live!

The Stones Throw dj party thing at Wrongbar was really good times as well. Koushik was doing all sorts of really interesting stuff, though he wasn't inspiring much of a dance party with it. James Pants however brought lots of soul music and oh did we dance!

I thought the show was amazing.

The pit was packed on the right side but you could go up very close on the left, and it was very spacious. We took a stroll around during the end of the set and when we went back in on the right side we couldn't move but there was still tons of space on the left side.

I liked this one so much better than the show I saw at the hummingbird.

Montreal was awesome, Toronto was awesomer.

Much more cohesion from the band, better flow in the set and Phil didn't drop any beats this time.

I didn't get my Myxomatosis, but they did play No Surprises for which I'm very thankful and that first encore was the goddamn shit!

All in all, still the best live touring act in music today.

No contest.

love it.

well, I finally have a few moments to comment on Friday nights show.

that will go down as one of my live musical highlights of my concert going career.

it was incredible before the band took the stage!

I say that because I was there with POG & Mellie who turned me on to Radiohead in the first place. Also, had POG not bought me a ticket I likely would not have been there. When we reached our seats I was pretty stoked how close we were and I could get out of the rain.

Running into KevO was awesome! I hadn't seen the guy in years and not only did we have a little time to catch up, but he miracled me that sweet wrist band for the pit :thumbup: thanks brother!

I was still in the beer line when the band started, so I was a little disappointed to miss 15 Step & Reckoner (one of my faves off In Rainbows).

- Videotape live was a real treat; I remember it occurring to me that this is one of my least favourites on the album, but was a standout in the live setting

I couldn't agree more!

I had said to Bob & Mellie at the hotel before the show that Videotape was probably my least favourite song on the new album. Live it was absolutely beautiful...so glad they played it.

I was hoping for a Like Spinning Plates, so that was good.

Songs I REALLY wanted to hear but weren't played;

Myxomatosis

2+2=5

National Anthem

Fake Plastic Trees

Paranoid Android

...oh well, next time I hope :)

What a special night.

Thanks Radiohead

Thanks Bob & Mellie

Thanks KevO

cheers to good friends

I've seen radiohead twice before and overall I thought this was the weakest one I've seen (other than the lighting)

In my opinion, the show had little to no flow to it.

I was in the 300's with a good view and the light show was phenominal. The music itself was good but I just couldn't find the flow from song to song.

The lights during Planet Telex should have been happening way earlier in the show, crazy shit.

i thot this was perhaps one of the best shows ive ever seen. the lights were incredible and they were definately playing great. but we were in the spacious left pit and that made a huge difference. when we wandered up to the 400s at one point, the whole experience went from a 10/10 to a 6/10. more than most venues i think, where you are in this place can really make or break the show.

was fun wandering thru the CNE beforehand and grabbing a bag of tiny tom donuts too. was a nice evening.

Grizzly Bear blogged for Rolling Stone while opening the eastern leg of the Radiohead tour. Here's their last entry. Must have been quite the time.

Well, it’s been a few days since our final show with Radiohead and I’m still having post-tour depression. The Cleveland inaugural aforementioned grill party that happened turned into a Radiohead tradition, with Jonny, Colin and Ed joining us for future BBQs in Boston and Toronto. Mind you some of them are vegetarians, but Veggie burgers do exist kids! In Boston it was really nice, my brother not being much of a music aficionado, was chatted up by Jonny for a good period of time telling him embarrassing stories about my childhood without realizing he had just watched a show with him in it.

The final night in Toronto was a really special one, probably my most memorable one. Feist and Final Fantasy came to visit and hang out for the show and bring all around good vibes to us (we’ve been on support tours with both of them in the past). During our set, we played in the rain, but towards the end two rainbows appeared and the sun came out just in time for Radiohead to play a magical set. We played “He Hit Me†for the first time on the tour because we had remembered Thom had spun that track on the BBC back in the winter and our bassist Chris Taylor caught him watching and dancing side stage which made us all smile.

During their set I settled into the crowd with my friends and watched them perform one of my favorite sets of the tour. To our surprise, the Colin and Jonny came out in our new “cat†T-shirts. It was an extremely bitter sweet experience to see it all end. As I mentioned before the whole tour was a whirlwind of surreal concerts, at this point almost seeming like it never happened.

Thankfully after the show there was an afterparty at which I got to thank each member personally for bringing us out on the road. Fairly exhausted I left a bit early and was convinced by Leslie and Owen (Feist and Final Fantasy) to stay the weekend and go to Leslie’s cottage in the countryside, so I crazily packed my bag and came down off of one of the most exciting tours of my life in the rural Ontario countryside, cooking homemade pasta and beet salad and swimming in little ponds, washing away the tour bus grime.

Meanwhile on the West Coast the Liars and Radiohead begin the second half of the U.S. tour, which I’m sure will be utterly spectacular. Wish we could be there! Now I’m home, going to my local coffee shop, walking my dog and settling back into a very un-rock star existence.

Thanks again Radiohead for a wonderful two weeks.

Another take on the same night, from Grizzly Bear

Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood is not exactly a man known for saying much onstage, preferring to flop his fringe around as he wrings peculiar noises nobody quite understands from his instrument.

So handsome Brooklyn gents Grizzly Bear must have made something of an impression on Greenwood during their recent stint supporting Radiohead along the US and Canadian East Coast. At last Friday's tour-closing concert in Toronto, Colin and Jonny Greenwood sported Grizzly Bear t-shirts and, just before Radiohead played 'House Of Cards', Jonny stepped forward and said something along the lines of "Thom wants me to thank my favorite band in the world, Grizzly Bear, so thanks a lot, thank you very much for touring with us." To which Thom exclaimed, excitedly, "Jonny speaks!" You can watch it over on YouTube.

The Quietus asked Grizzly Bear mainman Ed Droste how it had felt to be the band that broke Greenwood's onstage silence. "Oh Lord, that's a big statement and not entirely true, he speaks, just not a lot on stage," Droste told us. I was pretty shocked honestly. I was standing in the crowd with Leslie [Feist] and Owen [Pallett, known to you as Final Fantasy] and they turned to me and were like 'did you FUCKING HEAR THAT?!?' I will say I miss touring with them, it's sort of like after that, can anything be better? I guess I should go live on a farm and raise some kids or something."

We took the opportunity to ask Droste how the follow-up to Grizzly Bear's excellent Yellow House long-player was coming along. "I'd say we are half way done," he said. "I'm really really REALLY excited to be doing it and get it out there, seems like years ago we put out Yellow House, oh wait it was years ago. I think it's going to be a nice progression forward but still very much us, in the meantime there is the epic and amazing Department of Eagles album coming out this fall to tide people over."

Last night in LA - best show of the tour, hands down and I haven't even heard it yet...

01. Reckoner

02. Optimistic

03. There There

04. 15 Step

05. All I Need

06. Pyramid Song

07. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

08. The Gloaming

09. Videotape

10. Talk Show Host

11. Faust Arp

12. Tell Me Why (Neil Young Cover)

13. No Surprises

14. Jigsaw

15. Bends

16. The National Anthem

17. Nude

18. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1

19. House of Cards

20. Planet Telex

21. Go Slowly

22. Fake Plastic Trees

23. True Love Waits Intro/Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 2

24. Cymbal Rush

25. Karma Police

26. Idioteque

Sunday night looks like it was great also...

The band played their first of two shows at the Hollywood Bowl last night to a sold out crowd. Since we're talking Hollywood, you know that plenty of celebrities showed up. Spotted in attendance were Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Phillipe, Elijah Wood, James Blunt, Patricia & Rosanna Arquette, Rufus Sewell, Tim Roth, Christina Aguilera, Seth Green, Heather Graham, and Danny Masterson, to name a few.

2796571349_8069e7d70f_o.jpg

Guest Low Roller

Oops. I didn't read this thread before I started mine. 'Tell Me Why' rocks... It's also the first cover that they played live all tour (They soundchecked Portishead's 'The Rip' on numerous occasions).

This was the first local-ish Radiohead show I've missed in a while (I've seen 14 now to date) and I'll take a stab at that question as to why 96' and earlier Radiohead is miss-able, and in my opinion a better show to get a chance to see.

It's not because of the music, because they are still writing amazing songs, and its not the show itself because those still kick-ass...its the obvious that comes with every band that gets Uberhuge - The intimacy of the shows and to be honest, it goes hand in hand, but the intensity was just simply more.

I saw Radiohead play Barrymore's and although it wasn't my favorite music period for them, there is no chance anyone is going to see a Radiohead show as intense as that these days...a couple feet away from the band, the intensity (more rock aspect) of the actual music...it can't be equaled these days...they've done countless more world tours since then, and changed their sound entirely...

BUT; it was the Congress Centre show for the OK Computer tour that takes the cake! Top 3 concerts I've ever seen...they played for almost 3hrs, one set, complete general admission...you simply can't get that any more...

I started caring less and less if I missed a show around the time of Kid A...but thats how it goes I guess...soaring ticket prices for worse seats and the addition of the idiot fan who digs them cause their cool these days; not much to my appeal...

They still kick ass, but their is no chance of a show these days, in my opinion, coming close to the awesomeness that was early Radiohead...unless your one of these people that get those "intimate & interactive" rare tickets, your not going to see a show like early Radiohead; not a chance

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

i saw the ok computer tour too - i like the songs they have written since then much better than pablo honey and the bends. so while sure small venues are great and intensity is great, the songs are much better of late for me.

the latest montreal and toronto shows were huge, but they still felt small to me. if the performance completely holds your attention, i don't think it really matters how many other people are in the same field or stadium.

I guess to each their own...personally, I don't find sharing a show with 20,000+, or fighting for air crammed into the front row, or 1000ft from the stage on the back lawn, "intimate" in any way...

I think "feeling" a show is intimate (hanging with bro's on the back lawn having a good time...or junked out staring at Trey noodle) isn't anywhere near a show that IS intimate; like a band that normally plays to 20,000 playing to a few hundred...in fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone referring to a 10,000+ person show as "intimate"...consider "intimate & interactive"; if they tried to pull that off while selling tickets to 10,000 people, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed...

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D