Jambands.ca

**Fat Burt - Dec 20th @The Boathouse - Kitchener Ontario**

GUITARZAN

Looking forward to the show!

Below is an article about Mike that appeared in yesterday's paper.

-----

Burt Neilson Band's Mike Filipowitsch ready to head in new direction

Aside from finishing his degree, he also plans to start working on two new albums in 2009

December 18, 2008

Jason Schneider

for Nightlife

When it comes to the creative process, it normally holds true that when an artist starts to feel comfortable, that's usually the right time to start doing something different.

In the case of singer/songwriter Mike Filipowitsch -- better known to many as the front man of the Burt Neilson Band -- years of being a favourite within the jam band scene forged his reputation, but now he admits that after getting his personal life in order he's ready to reintroduce himself with a more diverse sound.

"Recently I took a little hiatus from touring to go back to university and finish my degree," Filipowitsch explains. "Going on my first tour in 1998 meant dropping out of school. I guess I never really let go of that (lifestyle), and felt that before I could have a clear head I really needed to tie up loose ends. But you know what never fails?

"Music always comes a-knockin'. It's strange because the closer I have gotten to finishing my degree, the more opportunities have arisen musically."

Among the projects Filipowitsch plans to start in the new year is an album with Calgary singer/songwriter Billy Manzik, on which he'll be playing guitar, and also his own new solo album that is still in the development stage.

"I have always been a fan of blending as many styles as I can within the writing process: blues, country, folk, rock, groove, bluegrass and so on, and I think things are pretty reflective of that right now," he says.

"I have a new band in Thunder Bay and its pretty much gypsy music -- violin, guitar, mandolin -- so as usual, I am a little all over the place. The one thing that remains somewhat constant is the thematic nature of the lyrics: growing up and getting older. You know, piecing together all the stuff that has happened over the past 10 years, which has been a lot of good and bad."

One thing Filipowitsch is focused on is distancing himself a little from the jam band scene, even though he won't deny how good it's been to him.

It's a fine line that he knows he has to walk carefully, given how dedicated fans of the Burt Neilson Band still are. The group is in fact playing a special show at Lee's Palace in Toronto on Dec. 27.

"I will admit to having moments where I felt trapped by the whole 'jam' label," he says. "It's always tough when people assume you are one thing and one thing only. I was always like, 'Hey, I write songs as well!' However, as time passes you realize the things that are important. The jam scene is important to me, not only because I had the opportunity to play for fans of the style all over Canada and parts of the U.S., I too was once -- and still am in many respects -- a fan."

So what can those fans expect from Filipowitsch's current live show?

"This Boathouse show is a special one for me. Not only do I really enjoy playing at that venue, but I am playing with (Fat Cats singer/guitarist) Todd Gillies. Growing up in Kitchener, I spent tons of time going to see the Fat Cats, and I guess I looked up to Todd.

"It's great that we became good friends, and really enjoy playing music together. So, there will be a mix of new and old material on both our parts. I know I am returning home with many new songs that I am excited to debut in my hometown."

Live Mike Filipowitsch w/Todd Gillies Saturday, Dec. 20 The Boathouse, Kitchener Tickets $10 Show starts at 9 p.m. More Info: 519-745-7202

http://news.therecord.com/arts/NightLife/article/460521

Yes! I meant to mention the opener (been away from the computer rehearsing with BNB in Toronto)...

Nate Zahn is a Singer Songwriter who is originally from the KW area, but currently resides in Thunder Bay while he attends Lakehead University.

I have had the pleasure of meeting and playing with Nate while i have been attending the same University...

SO please come and check him out tonight...he hits the stage at around 9:30pm...

Mikey

Yeah that song is called "Across the Beaufort Sea"...i am planning on releasing it on my record..that i have been meaning to finish for years!

PS...thank you to everyone for coming out, it was a treat! I was seriously having the time of my life, playing tunes i love and jammin it up with todd!

I look forward to doing it again on the 28th in the hammer!

Mike

Wow! You all have such a great way with words :)

Definitely a nice cozy winter vibe the other night. A rare treat to see two of my all-time favourite guitar players together. Many times throughout the night you guys sounded like one instrument... Sweet to be able to hear some of the songs that you guys have written over the years in a different light.

I know Todd totally enjoyed himself and hopes to do it again (after the 28th).

Mike your banter had me chuckling through the night... Visions of you stranded at the old farmhouse wondering how you had gotten yourself in that position, or hoofing it down the road hoping that you'll get lucky enough to make it to your own tour was priceless, so thanks for that.

Nate Zahn (the opener) was great too! He had a smokin' voice. I wish I had grabbed a disc of his, but I didn't have any cash on me...perhaps another time.

And all the rest of you skanks that bring a smile to my face (i think you know who you are)...just thanks (again).