Jambands.ca

iPhone questions

MoMack

So my Razr seems to have officially kicked the bucket. Battery would die in a day, and now its "unable to charge". But hey, it lasted over a year after going through the spin cycle in my jeans pocket.

I'm thinking it makes sense to go iPhone next. But, I seem to recall there being HUGE charges for data if we went south of the boarder. ie. roaming charges by the byte.

Is this true? Is there a cheap alternative?

And if it is, does anyone know how easy/possible it is to turn the data function off but leave it open to pick up WiFi.

Obviously the big iPhone advantage, aside from not having to carry a phone and iPod, is that I can look shit up from the comfort of a hotel before heading for that pre-show meal and using the GPS to get there. But if its going to cost me as much as a limo ride to a 5-star restaurant then it probably doesn't make sense...

Thoughts?

It's very easy to turn off the data roaming and leave the Wifi on. As soon as you enter the US it gives you a warning that you are switching over and you can turn it off.

I've had mine for about a month. I like it, but I'm still finding the touch screen a bit challenging. It's got some pretty sweet features that make it a fun toy and useful business tool.

If you're in charge of booking your US rooms, then you would likely make sure that the hotel has the WiFi perk. Then you're golden. Roaming data charges suck no matter what you have.

I have an iPhone, and I rarely use the phone part of it. I'd be happy if I didn't have to get a cellphone plan and just get a data plan. If I need a phone, I just have to ask the person beside me if I can make a call.

It's a very very handy device for daily mobile internet access and apps. The GPS/mapping feature comes in very handy.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is about iPhones but if anyone is looking for a cheaper more open source alternative, I highly reccomend checking out the Nokia n series, specifically the n810. It's basically a mini portable linux computer. All apps are free and open source. You don't need any kind of data plan or service package, it runs of wifi and hotspots. It has a build in GPS and runs skype. This solution won't work for everyone but it's a damn fine piece of hardware that many prefer to the iPhone.

nokia-n810.jpg

that looks like a wicked cell phone Trevor - is that what you've been using?

Who is the provider for that phone? I'm with Fido and I'm interested in switching to a Iphone because I can get one free because of all the Fido Rewards Points I've collected. I can't seem to find that model on their site - but they do have a lot of Nokia products.

jay

I just got one a couple of days ago.in fact I'm on it right now.it's pretty easy to use.hey momack make sure our room for hampton has wi-fi.

Just be thankful we've got a room dammit!

data-roaming can't be that expensive.

Anyone know if both ends of a conversation have to use skype for it to work? Or could we use a skype app on iPhone to call someone in the U.S. without paying LD here?

I guess the other apps I'd be interested in would be something that sync's up yahoo and/or hotmail email addresses?

Simplify Media is pretty awesome. It let's you access your itunes library from anywhere- meaning you can have tons of music. Plus if you have friends with Simplify Media, you can share libraries.

It is pretty cool. Shazam is also cool. If you are in to sports Sportacular is great for checking scores, keeping tabs on pools, etc.

Urbanspoon is also great for finding restaurants. Big Oven is cool for finding recipes. Google Earth is neat too.

These are all free.

Simplify Media is pretty awesome. It let's you access your itunes library from anywhere- meaning you can have tons of music. Plus if you have friends with Simplify Media, you can share libraries.

It is pretty cool. Shazam is also cool. If you are in to sports Sportacular is great for checking scores, keeping tabs on pools, etc.

Urbanspoon is also great for finding restaurants. Big Oven is cool for finding recipes. Google Earth is neat too.

These are all free.

Awesome. Urbanspoon is the key I think!

Simpify is my favorite feature. You can have access to a lot of music. It can be a bit slow to access the tunes some times, but it is nice to bring your whole music collection everywhere you go.

I have noticed that if you use the 3G network a lot, it tends to suck up battery life.

What is your app?

I'm warning you. It's really stupid, but sometimes stupid is funny. It started out as a way to learn how to develop for the iPhone. However, after showing it to a few people for a laugh, they started saying things like "you should make that into a full-fledged app".

More cowbell is one of the most popular apps, and all it does is make the sound of a cowbell. I have a feeling that the iPhone nerd community would love their iPhone to fart on command.