Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/12/23/ot-081223-hockey-picket.html

I guess it has moved on from a threat to a request to strikers (if it wasn't before):

Cornellier told CBC News on earlier on Tuesday that all 2,300 members of ATU Local 279 have been told to report to picket lines outside the Ottawa Civic Centre Arena starting around noon on Boxing Day.

please don't go dinghy, it might get violent though I hope that doesn't happen.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they didn't. The union backed down in court before the judge could rule. So I guess you could say that the city was going to win and the union didn't give them the satisfaction - it's almost the same thing but not quite. Same result though, you're right about that.

I hope the same thing happens tomorrow in court, or that the judge rules in favour of the city.

Merry Christmas BABY

Talks between the city and the union representing striking bus drivers have broken off.

City spokesman Michael Fitzpatrick said union officials walked away from the table.

Beginning at 10 a.m., lawyers for the city and the transit union will be in court because the city is trying to prevent the striking bus drivers from picketing outside the Civic Centre during the world junior hockey championship.

Also, at 10:45 a.m., the city will be holding a press conference outside the mayor's office.

The strike began Dec. 10. The main obstacle remains the issue of scheduling. The city wants to change the system, which currently allow bus drivers to choose their schedules and routes.

FUCK!

Bell Cup is responsible for filling Ottawa hotels and tourist destinations during one of the slowest tourist periods in most cities.

At a time where our city desperately needs tourist dollars it would be a real shame to make guests to our city feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

Shame on the union if they make even one person leave a day early.

I've realized in reading many comments on the interweb that the citizens of this city already hate us.

I have also realized there are alot of stupid people in this city in regards to comments made on facebook groups and news websites.

As for the Bell Cup and the IIHF Junior Championships, I'm sure hotels will come up with ideas to keep people in the city. There are plenty of bus companies out there that will be more than willing to offer there services I'm sure.

One piece of news that emerged during the hearing is that the transit union is having some difficulty getting union members out on to picket lines, though they must do picket duty to collect strike pay. Mr. Larkin testified that only about 200 of the 2,300 members are showing up for duty on the picket line.

SOLIDARITY!

I still blame the city.

Because other cities before them have changed the way bus transit scheduling is handled?

I blame the city of Ottawa' date=' the incompetent mayor and the incompetent city council. I don't know about other cities.

[/quote']

I have to agree with that.

However, the mayor is trying to get the Feds to pass legislation forcing the union to allow the members to vote on the city's latest proposal. I wonder if that's just a publicity stunt though.

One piece of news that emerged during the hearing is that the transit union is having some difficulty getting union members out on to picket lines' date=' though they must do picket duty to collect strike pay. Mr. Larkin testified that only about 200 of the 2,300 members are showing up for duty on the picket line.[/quote']

SOLIDARITY!

I've been waging the "Facebook WAR!"

I've realized in reading many comments on the interweb that the citizens of this city already hate us.

I have also realized there are alot of stupid people in this city in regards to comments made on facebook groups and news websites.

As for the Bell Cup and the IIHF Junior Championships, I'm sure hotels will come up with ideas to keep people in the city. There are plenty of bus companies out there that will be more than willing to offer there services I'm sure.

I don't live in Ottawa but I don't think that the citizens "hate you"...they're pissed because at one of the busiest times of the year when the weather is at it's worst, there is no public transit...it's crazy enough when the holidays hit and to throw a strike into the works just creates animosity towards the majority who probably weren't hell bent for a strike in the first place.

I was at a friend's place for dinner last night and he is a supervisor at The Beer Store with union workers under him who haven't had a strike in years. Different structure as it's provincial-wide but they do their best to keep their employees happy and secure despite the ever-changing economy.

I wouldn't want to be a driver when the strike finishes as I'm sure there'll be many ignorant folk who will say some nasties to the drivers...so kick 'em off when they spew forth their crap!

I seldom take the TTC anymore as the environment is usually very unpleasant. Toronto is so far behind cities such as Ottawa and Montreal for public transit, snow removal, highway maintenance, etc...and it's not getting better...man, the potholes on some of the roads can swallow a small car! ;)

I have lived in both Ottawa and toronto and I disagree can'o'phish. The ttc is much better than Ottawa's transit system in my opinion. It's not the drivers fault but when I lived and worked in ottawa a 10 minute drive would take me 2 buses and 50 minutes to get to work by transit. In toronto a 15 minute drive takes me 10-20 minutes by transit.