Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

below poverty line sure, and yeah, that's not good, but don't 99.9999% of post-secondary students fall into that category? yet they pay tuition, books, expenses, rent, etc... most don't have the luxury of teaching on campus alongside faculty that help in their own education. the vast majority aren't in any kind of union to talk up their unreasonable demands. 10 hours a week leaves plenty of time to get another job to get above the poverty line... yet the whole university is taken hostage? i dunno. shitty situation.

when you talk of 'vantage point,' i think the TAs at York have zero perspective.

back to the bus strike though...

A man has been charged after a woman walking a transit picket line was hit by a vehicle and dragged at the Woodroffe Ave. park and ride Wednesday.

The woman, 53, was hit as the vehicle entered the parking lot at about 8:30 a.m. She was not injured. The driver, Thomas Chandler-de Faye, 26, was arrested at the scene and is charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. He appears in court Jan. 26.

yeah, i saw the video of that incident on cbc. the side mirror of the car got hooked on the picketer's coat and she was dragged about 10 metres before the coat fell off the mirror. dude should have noticed he was pulling someone! he was going pretty fast too. at the same time though, you've gotta be pretty close to get your coat hooked on a mirror.

These strikes are happening during a global and local economic crisis which is seeing hundreds and thousands of Canadians losing their jobs or having their hours cut back.

These unstable times require calm and rational thinking from all involved and to reach an agreement that can be re-negotiated at a time when the economy becomes stable.

The York strike is unbelievable. Not only do the TA's receive, what I and many consider to be a nice pay cheque for 10 hours a week, but they also are receiving free tuition for their grad studies.

Very glad that I don't have to deal with these kinds of situations but it's still frustrating to read about those who do.

Apparently Ontario's Elementary School Teachers are about to go on strike, after turning down a 12+% raise over four years.

I heard an interview with some of the teachers. They said they don't want the money in the form of salaries. They don't want a 12% raise, they want 1500 more teachers to be hired as next year they are looking at a shortage of teachers, something on those lines. The actual raise they want is somewhere around 4% over the couple years spread.

Can't quote me on it, it was an interview I saw on the news while I was at the dentist (ctv news channel).

To counter that, though, I do see stuff like this:

But the union claims the real sticking point is a perceived funding gap between the younger grades and high schools.
Edited by Guest

Apparently Ontario's Elementary School Teachers are about to go on strike, after turning down a 12+% raise over four years.

This is what the media is focussing on, but this is not the real issue.

But the union claims the real sticking point is a perceived funding gap between the younger grades and high schools.

This is the real issue. A high school student receives $711 more funding per year than an elementary school student.

And people think I have a problem.

You might have a problem, but we are not even close to going on strike. There are many more options before a strike is considered.

73,000 Ontario teachers poised to call strike vote

Canwest News Service Published: Thursday, January 08, 2009

The union representing Ontario's elementary school teachers said Thursday a strike vote could be called if progress isn't made in their contact talks with school boards by Feb. 13.

The Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO), which represents 73,000 public school elementary teachers, is upset because they claim management wants to strip away some other contract provisions regarding preparation time and other non-monetary issues.

"Today, we are putting the boards on notice," union spokesman David Clegg said. "We will no longer accept their excuses that they cannot provide better learning conditions for elementary students and fairer working conditions for their teachers."

Last month, Ontario's elementary school teachers failed to reach a deal in ongoing contract talks with the organization representing public school boards.

The proposed deal included a 12.55% salary increase over four years, the province said.

The provincial government had hoped that the two sides would be able to agree on a four-year "framework agreement" after the deadline was moved from Nov. 30 to Dec. 5. The province uses a framework agreement to outline how much money school boards will receive from the Ministry of Education.

Normally, once a framework agreement has been negotiated between the two parties, it serves as the starting point for school boards to negotiate collective agreements at the local level.

On Thursday Mr. Clegg said the salary increase has always been acceptable.

"What derailed the deal were the conditions placed on the money by [the Ontario Public School Boards' Association]," he said in his speaking notes.

The teachers have been without a contract since August, 31. 2008.

Ok,I see where you are coming from, but a strike vote does not mean that a strike is imminent. It is a way that the elementary teachers can show their solidarity with our union. It also states that we will be willing to strike if the demands are not met in the future.

During the last contract negotiations 3 years ago, there was a strike vote which had an approval of over 90%, but there was never a strike.

I thought the ball was back in the union's court. Didn't the city offer up scheduling if the union backed off on raises? And given that the union maintains that the strike was about scheduling and not money, well, shouldn't this strike be over?

I just don't understand.