Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone: Phish to headline Bonnaroo

Basher

I can't go back to bonnaroo after rothbury. The music was amazing and I did have a good time. But the weather was just too hot and the crowd got to me. I thought there were lots of rude people and people barging there way up to the front. And I thought the crowd was sketchy. Rothbury was the least sketchy festival I have ever been too which say's a lot for the size of the fest. Maybe, it is just because it was its first year though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MoMack you're a filthy hippy.

Bonnaroo's roots where amazing.... 7 years ago.

That exact line up wouldn't draw 30 000 people these days.

Bonnaroo brings together the best live bands, djs, artists together for one weekend. THATS IT.

hippy's that think its some how sold out and lost its roots can shove off. i much rather see 1 or 2 jambands that i really love...and then see an immense variety of music (underground, maintream...whatever.. labels are for fools.) .

phish is perfect for bonnaroo for many reasons but most importantly, bonnaroo's primary focus is live music...

and phish is one of the best live bands ever.

anyone trying to get phish to be in some imaginary mold that exists in their past can go fuck off. I love bonnaroo. Been to everyone but the first. I love phish.

anyone that can't just accept some band playing some festival has invested too much into somthing that...at the end of the day.... shouldn't be the be all, and end all of your life.

and I don't get how people actually think phish could pull of a Summer Fest on their own after 5 years off, and disolving their entire operation. I just don't get it.

Phish doesn't even run its own merch.

Edited by Guest

MoMack you're a filthy hippy.

Bonnaroo's roots where amazing.... 7 years ago.

That exact line up wouldn't draw 30 000 people these days.

Bonnaroo brings together the best live bands, djs, artists together for one weekend. THATS IT.

hippy's that think its some how sold out and lost its roots can shove off. i much rather see 1 or 2 jambands that i really love...and then see an immense variety of music (underground, maintream...whatever.. labels are for fools.) .

phish is perfect for bonnaroo for many reasons but most importantly, bonnaroo's primary focus is live music...

and phish is one of the best live bands ever.

anyone trying to get phish to be in some imaginary mold that exists in their past can go fuck off. I love bonnaroo. Been to everyone but the first. I love phish.

anyone that can't just accept some band playing some festival has invested too much into somthing that...at the end of the day.... shouldn't be the be all, and end all of your life.

and I don't get how people actually think phish could pull of a Summer Fest on their own after 5 years off, and disolving their entire operation. I just don't get it.

Phish doesn't even run its own merch.

Honestly. Every time I read anything you post, whether to me or anyone else, I'm always left with "why are you such a fucking dick?"

We were having a discussion that I was enjoying. You are the reason I won't be at bonnaroo and exactly the kind of "music-love" that ruins things.

Were you at Grateful Fest? No. Rothbury probably not. But don't worry, eventually you and your folks will be there and I'll be lamenting their death as well.

Merry fucking x-mas

well, I'm looking forward to watching the webcast and drinking way too much beer.

Bring on Phish at the 'Roo. Bring on Springsteen. Bring on acts I don't like or care about. Just keep shaking up the deck, I say.

Just like Trey said about the Dead - "if you really take from them what you should, you won't sound anything like them"..... well, Bonnaroo should (and has) expanded far away from the Phish Festival paradigm, to it's ultimate credit. As dimafleck said, Phish always was about live music, and merging together all sorts of musics. That seems to be what Bonnaroo is about.

Sure Phish was influenced by the Grateful Dead. They also had Jay-Z sit in. Music is a big umbrella. You don't have to personally embrace it all but drawing lines in the sand is, well, close-minded.

yeah man.... Hip Hop is like a pure sellout maintream..... what happened to the fans man. Phish used to be one of us man...now they're like all about making money and playing festivals owned by MTV. Bonnaroo is like a pop festival now...whats next? MILEY CYRUS plays late night? this is like total bullshit man....what happened to caring about the SCENE!!!?!?!?

from now on, i'm sticking to the smaller, kinder fests that still live by Jerry's creed. There, the promoter cares about the fans...and like money isn't his like, ultimate motivation....there you can find kind brothers and heady mamas... and like all the money made goes right back to the forests where it belongs.

You don't have to personally embrace it all but drawing lines in the sand is' date=' well, close-minded. [/quote']

so that's how you feel about the Disco Biscuits ?

Being able and willing to critique something is the epitome of open-mindedness.

hey marco i see what your saying but probably would replace 'critique' with 'discuss openly and empathetically, with the possibility of change.

Hmmmm....

I agree with some of the criticisms here... the almighty dollar can blow things up to a point where it gets unmanageable for sure. Not everyone is into an ecclectic festival to be sure...thankfully no one is ever forced to attend.

I love a good ol' heady festival with kind vibes, warm people, and lots of great music and fires and jams to sink your teeth into. Having said that, the culture surrounding Metallica and its fans can be pretty communal too. Strangers stopping strangers applies to all different kinds of folks. A "stanger" doesn't have to wear a tie-die and sport dreads or worship Jerry to be worth talking to.

There's all kinds of sketchy people that attend "jam only" oriented festies. I'm not saying that these insinuations were intended behind some of the earlier posts, but they just kind of gave me an "exclusive" sour taste in my mouth is all...

What I guess i'm really saying is thankfully there seems to still be a wide range of festivals in terms of size, venue, diversity (or lack thereof) or bands, the types of people that attend, etc. for us to choose from.

Things self-organize, become successful, get bigger and bigger which is expensive to sustain. Diversifying is one way to try and survive financially. That will appeal to some, and not to others. I've enjoyed many different festival experiences, everything from the jams that we've hosted around a fire, to Come Together to Gratefulfest to the Woodstocks and Bonnaroos, etc. They all have different things to offer. If you decide that something is not for you, thank god there's still a healthy selection of choice out there.

Once the diversity of choice is gone, then i think we've got a real problem.

Hey,

Firstly I would like to wish everybody a happy holiday season.

Secondly, I'm happy my favorite touring band of the last 20 years, Phish, have decided to play bonnaroo, the festival that was in part inspired by their own festivals.

I have been to last five Phish weekend festivals and I have been to all but one bonnaroo (I missed 2006 due to the passing of my mom). That Phish and bonnaroo are finally coming together to me is a match made in heaven.

Since I already bought the bonnaroo Holiday pre-sale tickets on the day they went on sale it looks like I may now relax as everything announced after Phish is now gravy. Including on of my all-time favorite artists Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, who I believe will blow the bonnaroo crowd away.

Peace and Love,

Tim

Edited by Guest