Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone: Phish to headline Bonnaroo

Basher

I guess what i meant by "depends who else is booked" it means - if Metallica, Kanye West, Limp Biscuit, P. Diddy types are more prevalent than MMJ, Umphrey McGee, Beck type of artists I'd be less inclined to go.

I know that you (AD) have been to Bonarro multiple times and love it - I'm in the situation of wanting to bring my girlfriend who is a relative newb to this scene. If the Dead reunited and were playing Bonarro this summer i'd be there in a flash. If Phish was doing a monster festival somewhere else with the Dead, I'd probably head that way.

My plans are to see Phish sometime this summer - but I'm in a wait and see situation.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my Bonnaroo experiences have been fantastic, and having phish headlining is definitely a pull factor. Having said that, I don't think I would ever bring my child down there (definitely not at such a young age anyways)... mostly because there isn't a stitch of shade to be found, it's a hell of a long drive and potential wait to get in, and i wouldn't have the freedom that I would want in order to make it worth the trek.

Plus I've got a wedding to attend that weekend, so I know i'm out. I don't know if making it back to Bonnaroo will ever be in the cards for me again.

But hey, if you've got the cash, the time, and the freedom, i'd highly recommend it.

If Phish is going to start playing festivals....

My fingers are crossed for Bluesfest!

(insert video of Whitey whaling on air guitar)

Amen... I've never been to Bonnaroo, but Mrs. Owl and I agreed in October that if Phish was going to be there in 2009 we wouldn't miss it... that being said, we're poor these days and want to know what else is on at the Roo and if there are going to be any other Phish shows closer to home...

Still, this has us happy... we wants to see the precious...

Edited by Guest

I wonder if this means that Phish will become a staple on the big festival circuit. Rothbury, Outlide Lands, etc...

Phish at Rothbury (or the Rothbury site) would be a dream. Rothbury last year was like Bonnaroo without any of the things that, for me, detract from it. It had fewer people, less heat and a cleaner/less sketchy scene. I realize this is a long-shot and there is talk of Rothbury being moved next year, but I would plan my summer around Phish at Rothbury, whereas Phish at Bonnaroo is more of an "it would be nice to swing it" situation.

Bob Lefsetz's opinion:

Would the Stones play Coachella?

Who gives a shit about the Stones. But Phish fans are diehards. Phishheads believe that Phish is God. They trekked to see the band at its own festivals, year after year. Is the band afraid they can't sell a ticket anymore?

This is no way to come back, playing it safe. Phishheads don't want to hang with Springsteen fans at some clusterfuck in Tennessee. Yes, Bruce is rumored for Bonnaroo too.

No one's special anymore. No one means anything. A festival is bigger than any act. Which is why the best can go on sale without listing any participants.

A great band is sui generis. It should never open for anyone. It's not part of the scene, it IS the scene.

Phish should do arenas. Then its own festival. It's hard not to believe they're doing Bonnaroo because of their manager's involvement.

You might think this is bullshit. You'll point to the gross. You'll say everyone's happy. I'll say this is the kind of thinking that fucked up our business. It's only about money, not about soul. Phish should only think about its fans. Not its manager's need to sell out a festival that dropped significantly in attendance last year.

Festivals are the new radio show. Do a few and you can't tour independently, i.e. on your own. You fatten the coffers of the promoter, but you fuck your own career.

Come on. A good song is not good enough. We're in a business where greatness is important. If you're not willing to split hairs, if you're not willing to argue the details of a band's career, then you're not a rock and roll fan. Fans worry about the minutiae. It's only Live Nation, beholden to Wall Street, that does not care about the man on the street.

You might say it's about the hang. About going to the show and getting fucked up with your brethren. I'll say it's about the music.

Maybe a festival is too much about the hang. Which is why Phish should not be playing Bonnaroo. Because it's the music that entranced its fans, the communal hang came after.

Do you want to mix your Sweet Sixteen with a Bar Mitzvah party? Do you want a vacation where you can bowl, surf and ski? Come on. Have a little self-respect.

Phish's comeback might fail, but let's see if they can stand on their own two feet.

Or maybe Phish is the new Jack Johnson. Maybe they're gonna play EVERY festival this summer.

Utterfuckinghogwash.

And my reply:

"I don't normally reply. But I think Phish is right to play Bonnaroo. You're missing an important part to the equation - that being Phish got too big. They got to big and employed too many people creating too much pressure on the band and Trey. The music suffered as a result and Trey ended up in rehab. (on the lot we sometimes call this "Jerry syndrome")

They like doing festivals but now they don't have to BE the festival. Trey will be onstage constantly, second only to Warren Haynes, the hardest working man in Rock N Roll.

The important question isn't whether Phish should or shouldn't play Bonnaroo. Its whether Bonnaroo is smart enough to get back to its roots and forget the Springsteens and the Metallicas. If they put "the Dead" in that Sunday closing slot and get back to the roots of the festival, where 95% of the bands played Grateful Dead covers at one time (Phish included), then they will sell tickets and the good folks will be there.

I may be wrong but I think the TM / LiveNation world bought out Bonnaroo from Superfly etc. Coincidentally, that is also went it went downhill and became more about the almighty dollar."

I suppose I should have addressed his idea of a great band never opening for anyone - probably by commenting on the communal aspect of the jamband scene. Thats what I was getting at with the "they all played Dead covers at one time or another bit"

If they put "the Dead" in that Sunday closing slot and get back to the roots of the festival, where 95% of the bands played Grateful Dead covers at one time (Phish included), then they will sell tickets and the good folks will be there.

Bonnaroo sells tickets regardless of who plays... And personally I don't go to a festival to hear GD covers. Not sure where you were going with that point.

I may be wrong but I think the TM / LiveNation world bought out Bonnaroo from Superfly etc. Coincidentally, that is also went it went downhill and became more about the almighty dollar.

I haven't heard anything about Superfly and AC being bought out. If you find any articles saying that please post them. Curious why you think Bonnaroo is all about the mighty dollar? Of course it's a business, as is a Phish or Dead tour, but just wondering more about that comment...

[[color:blue]]

A dust arose and clogged my nose

Before I could blink twice

Despite the stuff that bubbled up

I gave some last advice:

As long as they are playing does not matter!

i mean its only their first summer back, and although i would prefer their own festy, the organization that goes into those must be overwhelming. so whatever floats OUR boat...i mean jazzfest 96 was AWESOME!

db

Edited by Guest

Superfly and AC got on stage at Bonnaroo two and said they sold to Live Nation but that the festival was in "good hands".

The GD cover thing relates to the one common thread that makes up the "jamband" scene. People love phish, hate panic, love panic, hate string cheese, however it goes - they all love the dead. (okay, not every last one - but the hippy masses are via the Grateful Dead). I'm not suggesting I go to see Dead covers, even though I love them and don't often complain about hearing them, I'm suggesting that the bands that I think should be at Bonnaroo are all bands that no one would be too shocked to hear play a Dead cover.

And I believe that the premise of Bob's article was that Phish has new management - DMB's guys - that they are involved with Bonnaroo (I thought via Live Nation) and that Bonnaroo didn't sell enough tickets last year, which I thought was true.)

As for Bonnaroo being all about the dollar - it got more expensive every year and less inviting. Not to say its not great. But the prices for food/drink went up year 1 to 2. During the first one you could bring coolers to the side stages and even the main stage without much trouble. There were less fences keeping things out and forcing you to buy from the licenced vendors. And how else do you explain some of the headline acts they've had there?

Edited by Guest

I still don't think Bonnaroo was sold to LiveNation... Look at the bottom of their main page "Superfly & AC Entertainment | ©2002-2008 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival." There are no mentions of LiveNation and Bonnaroo in a Google News search. In 2007 AC and Superfly bought the site and turned it into Great Stage Park. I've been to 5 of the 7 'Roos, backstage at a couple and there has been no LiveNation presence anywhere. I'm sure LiveNation must represent some of the artists that have played or might have some stake in the bookings / promotion, but from what I know, the festival doesn't have a relationship with Livenation. I also can't find any official connection between AC Entertainment / Superfly and LiveNation.

That said, this is an interesting topic to me so if anyone knows anything to the contrary, please post.

What is 'Bob's article' that you are referring to MoMack? I'd like to read that...

As for the dollar / bringing coolers to stages / food prices - yeah, I've noticed that too and it's unfortunate for those that can do things responsibly, but they need to enforce the rules for those who aren't responsible. I guess that goes to your point of being less inviting - giant crowds need giant crowd control. I don't mind much, but that's your opinion so it's fair game.

And I like the headliners they've booked. The farther they move from bands apt to play Dead covers the better, as far as I'm concerned. But that's my opinion.