Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone: Phish to headline Bonnaroo

Basher

Phish to Headline Bonnaroo 2009, Sources Say

12/16/08, 9:45 am EST

RollingStone.com

21693435-21693436-slarge.jpg

Bonnaroo, the East Coast’s premiere multi-day, multi-stage gathering of the vibes (held in Manchester, Tennessee from June 11th to 14th) usually doesn’t release its lineup until early February — but RollingStone.com hears from reliable sources close to Phish that the band will top the bill for two nights, restoring the fest to its jam-friendly roots. It would be the fifth time frontman Trey Anastasio appears on the ‘Roo stage, having performed as a solo artist in 2002 and 2004, with bandmate Mike Gordon in 2006 and alongside Matisyahu in 2005. Phish announced their official reunion and first public gigs in four years (their March 6-9th Hampton, Virginia shows) in early October; reps for the band and the fest declined comment for this story. Also being buzzed about with some legitimacy: Bruce Springsteen as Sunday night’s closer. No pressure, but there is a deadline approaching for pre-sale tickets and VIP packages.

As for Coachella, the fest reputed for reuniting many a dormant band (the Pixies in 2004, Rage Against the Machine in 2007), Blur is believed to be a frontrunner, though a show scheduled for London’s Hyde Park in July raises some doubt — would the Brits really forestall a comeback gig on their home turf for a U.S. one-off jaunt? We think it’s more likely Britney Spears would pull off a dance tent set, a la Madonna in 2006. (And wouldn’t you know it, Britney is off on Coachella Saturday, April 18th, between tour stops in Los Angeles and Anaheim.) Other artists currently looking at routing dates around the three-day party in the desert include Coachella vets Red Hot Chili Peppers as well as the Pretenders, the Killers, Keane and We Are Scientists.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Bob, but doing a camping festival by air is really tough. You can forget things like coolers and stoves, and with the restrictions on luggage nowadays I think that would be really tough.

In fact, my mind is made up. Pass.

It may be tough but very doable. If you recall both Mellie and I did it when we met. If you pack well, collapsable cooler bags work wonders. It got me through the weekend. Bring a 40 of something and/or trek in and out of the site as people come and go all the time. Just saying its very doable.

hmmm....

i was one of the first to be extremely excited about the return of phish - like out of my mind excited - with news like this, i am beginning to worry that i will turn into one of those "phish was way better pre-hiatus" guys.

i was at the clifford ball, the went, the lemonwheel, it, and coventry... and i don't know if i could do a fest that phish was just a part of... i agree with jaydawg when he says it would really depends on who else is booked at bonarro. i kind of like phish doing things in their own way, not latching on, esp. since (in my opinion, bonaroo was inspired by many of those early phish festivals).

i would love it if phish came to TO, but i don't think its in the cards... at their height they barely came here.

maybe i am still coming to terms about not going to hampton. but phish is going to have to try harder to win me back. i was as loyal a fan as they came. saw them every chance i could between 96-04.

when some of you say you'd consider bonnaroo if phish is headlining depending on who else is booked, why is that? is it because you only want to see phish? or is it because you don't want to pay a bit of a premium to see other bands? or is there some other reason? just curious.

it seems like a no brainer to me. if you'd go see a multi-show run somewhere, why not do it where there is no end to the entertainment, supremely-well-oorganised, top quality acts, proven logistics, an actual festival site, etc...

just wondering the reasons.

flying to festivals is not as convenient as driving (depending on how much you value your time), but it's doable. I flew to coachella, checked-in my tent / chair etc... it was so easy.

hmmm....

i was one of the first to be extremely excited about the return of phish - like out of my mind excited - with news like this, i am beginning to worry that i will turn into one of those "phish was way better pre-hiatus" guys.

i was at the clifford ball, the went, the lemonwheel, it, and coventry... and i don't know if i could do a fest that phish was just a part of... i agree with jaydawg when he says it would really depends on who else is booked at bonarro. i kind of like phish doing things in their own way, not latching on, esp. since (in my opinion, bonaroo was inspired by many of those early phish festivals).

I am one of the "phish was better post-hiatus guys" and I have to say - them at bonnaroo is a great idea. If they suck there is other music!

I did the first two Bonnaroos - they were great. But I think its gone down hill/$$$ since, no? The first one you could bring your cooler everywhere so it was a cheap festival. The second one the VIPs were only $250 or so and you got $1 Magic Hats and $1 waters all day long.

Now I could see it being a festival where it costs more that Vegoose without the pimpin.

Didn't everyone think that Zep was playing Bonnaroo last year and then it turned out to be Lez Zeppellin or whatever? I dunno, I'll believe this when I see it.

Althought I do remember a few years back (06?) that Becky, Petty and Radiohead were leaked as confirmed acts and that turned out to be true.

Personally I have loved every Roo I have been to and certainly having Phish headline 2 nights would be a draw for me...

I am interested in seeing Phish, but not interested in going to Bonaroo. Though Phish would be the one band that would get me there.

Maybe if I lived east, and maybe if Moe. and Yonder were there as well. Maybe!

But still in reality, no matter who is there, I won't be this year.