Jambands.ca

Laser eye surgery

Low rain

there can never be "no risk" with anything. even aspirin and bandaids have risk as does getting out of bed in the morning.

the issue is one of "acceptable risk". hundreds of medical associations have deemed corrective laser eye surgery as posing an acceptable level of risk with the benefits outweighing the harms for millions of patients.

personally I would not hesitate to have it done. but do your homework and research the clinic and procedures beforehand. i know with some eye procedures, you cannot fly for a while or go scuba diving.

There was a recent study done - printed in the Toronto Star - regarding the failure rate for laser eye surgery being higher than expected, long-term. If you have any doubts, don't get it done. My sister is an example of laser surgery that didn't "take", and she had it done less than 10 years ago. She's had to go back to wearing glasses on a semi-regular basis and she lost her night vision almost immediately after her surgery.

Superpowers eh????

I do have glasses that I wear in the mornings and evenings, but I don't feel it is a good choice to wear glasses with my job. Also, I really don't enjoy wearing them. I really trust my eye doctor and I have set up a no obligation free 2 hour app't next Friday to be assessed and discuss the different types of laser eye surgery and what is best for me, etc.

You probably will have no problems, but since long-term side effects are still pending for the most part - or are being revealed at a greater rate recently - I don't trust any doctor since the surgery hasn't been around long enough. I know glasses and contacts work, though, with very few problems (lesser so with the latter).

My family friends (for almost 40 years) are optometrists and they've kept me pretty informed over the years although they approved of my sister's initial laser surgery.

I've worn glasses for 30+ years and contacts for 22, but haven't yet heard anything concrete as to why I need to risk my eyes to a procedure that has larger failure rates and other problems than previously reported and/or predicted.

i heard that seeing problems are all a sham anyway and that you can train your eyes to see properly with the right techniques except that they don't want you to know this in order to keep the pharmaceutical industry in a position of power over our every day lives

I agree. One time I saw you wearing a Man U jersey while eating a veggie burger and dancing to Planet Drum.

The most common problem is that your eyes continue to deteriorate. This means that you end up needing glasses again in 5 years or 10 years or whatever. Some doctors will give you life time "re-dos" but I think there is a limit to how many your eyes can handle.

I think I am going to get Laser eye surgery. Has anyone had laser eye surgery or have any tips or information on the surgery.

For what it's worth here's a tip...

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES OR BLINK WHEN THE LASER IS ON!!! ;)

This is still relatively "new surgery" and long-term effects haven't had time to surface which will be discovered in time.

Your eyes, your vision, your decision...remember how cool Elton John was back in the day!!! ;)

i heard that seeing problems are all a sham anyway and that you can train your eyes to see properly with the right techniques except that they don't want you to know this in order to keep the pharmaceutical industry in a position of power over our every day lives

I agree. One time I saw you wearing a Man U jersey while eating a veggie burger and dancing to Planet Drum.

D for effort, partially since your tired radiated eyes are no longer suitable for copying off others during exams, assignments, reality, etc

Yep. It's called the Bates Method. A friend of mine has improved her vision quite a lot. Though at first I thought she looked kinda like a siamese cat i understand she has had some significant results.

www.seeing.org - the Bates Method