Jambands.ca

Clapton & ABB -updates

Swifty

Beacon Theatre - Eric's First Night

Set I: (Derek playing a LP for LM > DSW; SG for Revival)

Little Martha

Statesboro Blues

Done Somebody Wrong

Revival

Woman Across The River

Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

Whipping Post

Set II:

Oncoming Traffic *Gregg solo

Come and Go Blues

Good Morning' Lil Schoolgirl

Key To The Highway ** Clapton (vocals and guitar)

Dreams ** Clapton (first solo and Gregg vocals)

Why Does Love Go To Be So Sad ** Clapton (vocals and guitar)

Little Wing ** Clapton (vocals and guitar - solos in order (a) Warren; (B) Derek; and © Clapton)

Anyday *** Clapton & Susan Tedeschi (guitar)

Encore:

Layla ** Clapton (guitar and vocals *

Great show with tonnes of shredding!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I wish I was at this gig.

In the end I didn't want to pay scalper prices for the ticket that didn't guarantee that Eric Clapton was going to be on the bill. And by the time it was completely confirmed I then had too much on the go to be able to go.

Tim

My favourite show so far has been with Bonnie Bramlett & John Hammond, man its a smoking show.

This looks like it will give that one a run for its money though (slight run perhaps), I imagine it'll be available later today too, since the same taper has upped 3/9,10,12 13,14,16 & 17 so far and they've all sounded great.

I have seen Eric Clapton do all those songs (minus "Little Wing") with Derek Trucks in two shows in 2006 and 2007 other than "Dreams" so I would have been most excited about the Allmans Brothers Band classic with Slowhand with "Layla" being a close second.

Peace,

Tim

Derek Trucks more than holds his own between those two. His playing has just got better and better over the years and at this years shows he is demonstrating some incredible development as a player. I watched all of last nights show (03/20/09) on Moogis and Clapton sat in again and played exactly the same songs except Anyday, but they added Stormy Monday and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed which kicked ass. Clapton actually missed a few lines of Liz Reed and was laughing at himself and sharing a moment with Derek about during Warren's solo.

A great show among the many so far.

Monday was wicked, I didn't feel like John Hammond worked very well, just a "not quite gelled feeling". Bonnie Bramlett and her daughter however, were awesome and brought some great energy and life to the band. Ditto Susan Tedeski joining everybody on stage for The Weight.

I might write a short review of the show (03/16/09)...the beacon does look amazing but it was always a very nice theatre.

Anyway, upcoming shows I want to catch are 03/24/09, Gibbons, Landreth guesting, and 03/26/09 - the actual 40th anniversary show. No guests have been booked and the offer that was extended to Dickey to sit in was possibly confirmed. After a Great Southern show on March 12th, Dickey was asked by his guitar tech (or roadie) in front of fans whether he will be appearing at the Beacon on the anniversary. His reply.....

"I reckon."

After a Great Southern show on March 12th, Dickey was asked by his guitar tech (or roadie) in front of fans whether he will be appearing at the Beacon on the anniversary. His reply.....

"I reckon."

Dickey sure does look different these days;

slingblade.jpg

Kidding aside, this run at the Beacon has looked fantastic. The clips that are being posted are a ton of fun to watch. I look forward to seeing some more of them as they are released as full shows. I hope Dickey does come back to play with them. ABB shows have always been a blast for me over the years. Anyone else here see the ABB at Darien when it was the OLD little shed in the campground there? Hot Tuna opened for them. It was killer. (late 80s i think)

Looked like the boys were having a blast tonight. Smiling all night.

set1

Little Martha

One Way Out

Statesboro Blues

Black Hearted Woman>Other One Jam

The Same Thing w/The Juke Horns

Soulshine w/The Juke Horns

Little By Little w/Susan Tedesschii, Southside Johnny and The Juke Horns

Lost Lover Blues w/Susan

Stand Back w/Susan and The Juke Horns

Set 2

Grandma's Hands w/Bruce Hornsby, Susan and The Kuke Horns

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed w/Bruce

The Night They drove Old Dixie Down w/Bruce

Jessica w/Bruce

Encore

Southbound w/Bruce and the Juke Horns

Edited by Guest

Derek changes his style when he plays with the Allmans. He conforms because he has to (he's said it in interviews), given the historic importance of the band and that their older classics shouldn't be altered or experimented with too much. Derek is still at his best and most innovative when he's with his own band. Still, Trucks "more than holds his own" with one of the great white blues guitarists is high praise indeed.

pretty good - Trucks is a great player, but I think I might have preferred it just with Clapton and Haynes. But hey - still amazing!

What??? Derek is one of the best on the planet but you would rather him sit out? To each their own I guess.

Still, Trucks "more than holds his own" with one of the great white blues guitarists is high praise indeed.

I'm not sure what you meant by that. Watching the two side by side, trading solos, it seemed obvious to me that Derek Trucks has become one of the better guitarists playing the instrument today. On par with his elder contemporaries, those on the stage at the time, and others.

the offer that was extended to Dickey to sit in was possibly confirmed.

offer eh?

obvs dickey would love to play with those guys' date=' i just can't see them making any such offer to him.

is this real info or just from hopeful blurbs in articles?[/quote']

during an interview with Hittin' the Note magazine, Butch Trucks confirmed an offer to play March 26th was extended to Dickey. As of the beginning of the run, they had not heard back from him.

Personally, I will be watching March 26th and will be happy to see his return (for the night).

Edited by Guest

I've downloaded all the available live recordings I could find (posted above) and have watched the youtube videos and I must say Derek's playing is amazing in my opinion, the stuff with Clapton is great.

I'd freakin' love to see Dickey make an appearence. If I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet final show, epic second set jams. Man, aside from actually being there, I can't think of anything better after whats gone down so far.

ps. I haven't heard the "co-headliner" part...

the word is that it would work something like the ABB/Phil tour of '02...wow was it that long ago???...we saw mule and ABB "open" for phil at deer creek and then it was flipped for the detroit show and back again for cleveland with DTB instead of mule