Jambands.ca

Earth Hour

mattm

It was easy to see the ignorant and/or uncaring energy culprits last night from my apartment balcony in Toronto: the Mercedes car dealership (big shock) at Dundas Street & the DVP; St. Jamestown (massive apartment complex in Cabbagetown); Bloor & Yonge; Davisville & Yonge; the Broadview St. Loblaws and Pizza Pizza.

However, I was impressed with the core of downtown Toronto. Most of the skyscrapers were dim or black as was the CN Tower. I heard on the radio this morning that the city doubled their energy reduction from last year. It's a start.

We turned everything off and then went out for a walk. Ottawa was completely lit up. Parliament was dark but the rest of Ottawa, from the bayview bus station view, looked like normal. All the big office buildings we could see in Hull were on as well, fed buildings I think. Looked like a weeknight and everyone was working late. Quite thoroughly disappointing after hearing Steph describing some of the cities in the world going dark.

my $0.02

It was easy to see the ignorant and/or uncaring energy culprits last night from my apartment balcony in Toronto: the Mercedes car dealership (big shock) at Dundas Street & the DVP; St. Jamestown (massive apartment complex in Cabbagetown); Bloor & Yonge; Davisville & Yonge; the Broadview St. Loblaws and Pizza Pizza.

However, I was impressed with the core of downtown Toronto. Most of the skyscrapers were dim or black as was the CN Tower. I heard on the radio this morning that the city doubled their energy reduction from last year. It's a start.

I completely understand where you're coming from Jaimoe but playing devils advocate, from a business point of view, where do you draw the line when it comes to health and safety and loss prevention? Just curious.

Edited by Guest

However' date=' I was impressed with the core of downtown Toronto. Most of the skyscrapers were dim or black as was the CN Tower. I heard on the radio this morning that the city doubled their energy reduction from last year. It's a start. [/quote']

I completely understand where you're coming from Jaimoe but playing devils advocate, from a business point of view, where do you draw the line when it comes to health and safety and loss prevention? Just curious.

Health and safety? What's the damage in turning off a few lights and neon signs? Plus, if downtown Bay Street business mega-towers can turn off the lights, why can't smaller businesses like Mercedes? But turning off the fucking glowing Mercedes and Loblaws neon signs took too much effort, so it seems. I am far more disappointed in St. Jamestown. I've stopped expecting more from my neighbourhood Loblaws.

Neon signs are definitely doable I understand that... but if we are talking open business hours then I'm just saying that ALL lights off are definitely a safety hazard to both the customer and the employee.

There has to be some give and take before we are quick to cast shame... especially in these economic times.

Neon signs are definitely doable I understand that... but if we are talking open business hours then I'm just saying that ALL lights off are definitely a safety hazard to both the customer and the employee.

There has to be some give and take before we are quick to cast shame... especially in these economic times.

8:30-9:30 on a Friday night? Most businesses are closed and/or closing at that point. I cast shame (and I'm only a moderate tree-hugger; my wife was livid). Once again though, St. Jamestown was lit up like a massive forest of ugly Christmas trees.

I know that the 3 big Minto buildings downtown (Carlisle, Minto Place and the Hotel) all participated.

From a commercial building point of view, you are obligated to have power in common areas due to health and safety issues but they participated by using only reserve or emergency power. That would mean that hallways and stairways were minimally lit.

Office buildings should do this every night IMO.