Jambands.ca

QotD: 2003.10.23

bradm

may 24 weekend 2002

weekend of nero and camping on the beautiful pacific coast at long beach, vancouver island

drivin up thinkin f*ckin partay

get up there to find there's some kinda rave booked for the weekend someplace nearby so it's me and the campground/golfcourse staff partyin it up.

wha happened?!

good times though. gotta love the nero crew [smile]

Well...

Since everyone is mentioning One Step Beyond, I saw them one time at Baranga's On The Beach in Hamilton, back in the days when Jamie Shields still was in the band. I went by myself, since I could convince no one else to go - they played outside, and there were about 10 people there... [Eek!]

I'd have to go with nearly any touring band that doesn't get radio play that comes to Peterborough! The most recent one that comes to mind is Recipe From A Small Planet upstairs at The Trash (The Blue Room), where there were maybe 10 of us besides the band and bar staff. Same thing has happened in the past for Nero shows, Hiway Freeker shows, etc. A lot of bands that come to this town seem to have a hard time, in what used to be considered a pretty "heady" town . It blows my mind that BNB used to pack 400 people into the Red Dog once upon a time - I can't even imagine! They're coming again (to the Red Dog) in about a month and frankly I'm worried that there will be about 20 people there! ('ersh or burtman -- send me posters to put up!)

sorry to go off topic, i needed to rant. [smile]

Using my powers of foresight I'm going to have to say moe\nero Ottawa, where is everybody?...come on people prove me wrong, just don't be standing in front of Al, I'm taping off that section...just call me "Rebubula Trev" [big Grin] Also YMSB at moe.down this year deffinetly had me asking where everybody was, i guess everybody hates the shitgrass, me i eat it with a spoon.

Wow there have been lots of these, but the one that's coming to mind is the last time One Step Beyond played. I think it was last summer (2002) at the comfort zone, on a Saturday night. It was definetly the coolest thing going on that night in the city, and there was only a small handfull of people to enjoy it. I said to a friend, that everyond sucked for not being there, they were really missing out. Despite Jamie not being on keys, OSB still kicks ass. What do we have to do to get those guys to play more than once every two years?

I can't tell you how many of these I have been to or been a part of.

Zooz does come to mind, saw nero, Caution Jam and the Fat Cats (8/10/01) in front of maybe 5 people.

Saw Jazz Is Dead at the Comfort Zone 3.22.02 and there were 30 people there for Jerry Goodman, T. Lavitz and Jeff Pevar.

Many BNB, Jukejoint, nero (in Buffalo a few weeks ago), One Step shows come to mind!

Fuckin DTB, KDTU, Soulive and many others at the Zone as well. John Popper Band (9.15.99) at the Guvernment only had about 100 people..

Raq in Buffalo (10.5.02) had about 15 people.

I could go on and on.... unfortuantely.

quote:

Saw Jazz Is Dead at the Comfort Zone 3.22.02 and there were 30 people there for Jerry Goodman, T. Lavitz and Jeff Pevar.

I was one of the thirty people at this show and come to think of it, it must have been you passing out the magazines, cool. That was a super relaxed show, I wish they had drums though.

peace.jamesd.

Totally, the original Jazz Is Dead with Alphonso and Jimmy Herring was fuckin' amazing to watch at the Zone.

I couldn't believe these comfort zone shows were empty:

Robert Walter's 20th Congress w/ Vinyl - Apr. '00

Michael Ray & The Cosmic Krew - ??. '00

Original P - July. '00

Quicksilver Messanger Service - July '00

Every ViperHouse show!

Blue Floyd w/ Marc Ford - Aug. '00

also Furthur Festival '97 and H.O.R.D.E. '98 at Molson Amp. were both pretty empty. Goodforest and ZooZ were both prime examples of why festivals don't work to well in the Niagara Region. Goodforest threw some wicked little parties last summer though with Rose Garland & Caution Jam.

Archived