Jambands.ca

Mole

bouche

I've been building up the extensive authentic ingredient list and practicing braising for for the last couple of months in order to achieve a goal. Learn the perfect chicken mole as taught by Rick Bayless. I saw his version described by the judges on Top Chef Masters and then I tried a mole at a very nice restaurant in Las Vegas. After that, I was determined to learn this at home.

The only thing I'm missing is Rick Bayless's method. I asked him on Twitter to which of his books I should refer and he responded "Mexico - 1 plate at a time".

Has anyone attempted a mole? I know there are lots of ingredients and the preparation for the braising broth takes a while to put together.

in my analysis of the recipe for the perfect homemade classic mole, I've found that I will have to make at least one ingredient and also search for a couple of more quality ingredients, though I have most.

The big one, according to Rick Bayless is good rich lard. It's very important to use lard when called for, and even more so, to not buy the hydrogenated shelf-loving shit. I basically have to find pork leaf-fat and render it myself to get the best quality. From what I've read, this stuff is actually better for you than butter (no saturated or trans fats). No wonder the quebecois love to spread it on bread.

This is probably what I'll follow as a base for lard rendering.

• 2 months later...

Hey Mikey,

When I made pork belly confit a few weeks back, I had to render the fat myself and I used that exact web site you listed as my guide.

I know it will sound kind of gross, but the fat renders down and the crackling is left over- that crackling is pretty awesome on salads. Also, make sure you make enough so that you can save it for your next crack at confit!

Erin bought me a subscription to Fine Cooking magazine (she's no fool) and they had an amazing article on casoulet in the last issue. I am dying to try it out. Starts out with making a bunch of duck legs confit. Pork fat works as the confiting agent- although some purists will say you need to use duck fat, but the pork fat works more then fine.

Hey Mikey,

When I made pork belly confit a few weeks back, I had to render the fat myself and I used that exact web site you listed as my guide.

I know it will sound kind of gross, but the fat renders down and the crackling is left over- that crackling is pretty awesome on salads. Also, make sure you make enough so that you can save it for your next crack at confit!

Erin bought me a subscription to Fine Cooking magazine (she's no fool) and they had an amazing article on casoulet in the last issue. I am dying to try it out. Starts out with making a bunch of duck legs confit. Pork fat works as the confiting agent- although some purists will say you need to use duck fat, but the pork fat works more then fine.

i made another batch. it's cheap to make. glad it worked out. I've never confited anything.

I love Cracklin on patatoes when im having salf fish dinner!! hmmmm salt fish dinner! but Cracklin is great on anything!