Jambands.ca

Let's get creative!

Velvet

Let's say you captured someone responsible for creating a computer virus. What's the punishment?

For some reason I'm envisioning the complete removal of all skin with a tiny little exacto knife, or maybe submerging the person in a tank of water containing a small number (four or five?) piranhas.

Heck, why not both?

Any other fun ideas?

On an unrelated note, any suggestions on a good high place to drop my computer from?

Oh boy I know I'm gonna regret this.

The virus writer should not be punished, but the antivirus software should be free for home users.

What's your reasoning behind this statement? I assume it has something to do with the fact that creating something that will randomly hurt innocent people is fine, but those that create useful tools should do so for free.

but the antivirus software should be free for home users.

Really? You should do some simple research on security software. There are many free antivirus programs out there for the home user. Currently two of the top recommended programs of 2009 offer free versions that are more then adequate for the home user.

Avira - I'm currently using this one and it's great. Extremely low resource use, updates regularly and catches everything, even the slightest questionable file, and/or sketchy webpage.

http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

Avast - another highly recommended and solid program. I was using this until I tried Avira.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

replace 'the' with 'all' and you'll probably understand where I'm coming from a bit better, Esau.

Oh I understand, you feel the people who pay to go to school, work hard to learn, & then develop the software should just give it to you for free and not be compensated for their hard work. Yet another instance where you want something free at the cost of others.

I'd take bradM's statement and qualify it further by saying that Microsoft should by all means ensure that anti-virus, and anti-spyware software should be included as a basic service in the operating system. HEY MS! Fuckin' buy AVG or something and roll them into your operating system already!

I'd take bradM's statement and qualify it further by saying that Microsoft should by all means ensure that anti-virus, and anti-spyware software should be included as a basic service in the operating system. HEY MS! Fuckin' buy AVG or something and roll them into your operating system already!

Hux, do you even read these threads?

I don't think I've made any such statement.

Aloha,

Brad

I'd take bradM's statement and qualify it further by saying that Microsoft should by all means ensure that anti-virus' date=' and anti-spyware software should be included as a basic service in the operating system. HEY MS! Fuckin' buy AVG or something and roll them into your operating system already! [/quote']

Hux, do you even read these threads?

bubble-boy.jpg

Anti-spyware is included in win 7, not sure about vista as I've never used it. (it's not all that good though)

The way hackers pick apart all of M$ operating systems, an included anti-virus would probably only be as good as the already included firewall, and they have never been very good, let alone very effective. Adding an anti-virus would only contribute to bloating, and probably not be all that secure, in my opinion.

I thought this was to be about torturing people.

Anyway, on that note, i think the Wu Tang Clan said it best......

"I'ma sew your asshole shut, and keep feedin' you, and feedin' you, and feedin' you."

:)

That's some pretty intense punishing going on there. I sure wouldn't create/distribute another virus if that was the punishment for the first one.

replace 'the' with 'all' and you'll probably understand where I'm coming from a bit better' date=' Esau.[/quote']

Oh I understand, you feel the people who pay to go to school,

work hard to learn, & then develop the software should just give it to you for free and not be compensated for their hard work.

Yet another instance where you want something free at the cost of others.

Home users are a lot different than commercial users.

see below:

Sure there's potential to bloat, but the issue of PC viruses is almost exclusively a Windows issue.

Of course it occurs infrequently on Mac and other OS platforms,

but it's a problem that is mostly one-sided and the problem shouldn't have to be on the end user.

'something free at the cost of others'?

Quit being such a drama queen.

The issue isn't about me being a cheapskate or having contempt for modern economics,

it's about viruses being a nuisance and hassle for home computer users.

I wonder what YT thinks of illegal music,

TV. film downloads?

Free comes at a price.

Illegal music, TV, and film downloads?

I think they're part of the system now and it's only a matter of time before everything works together properly,

with media being the business card of any successful and aspiring musician/artist, with TV, Film, and Software not fitting the model I think of first.

My condolences to film, tv, and computer programmers.

I am a proponent of hard copy media,

but it is such a grey issue that the system hasn't adapted enough

to even begin to address effectively

that the issue being brought up in an antivirus software for free thread

seems really petty.

'free comes at a price'

I assert that the COSTS of this so-called 'freedom' are the issue, not price.

Look at the response as being an unnecessary distinction or not,

but I see it as a very important one.

The price of nearly every consumer good or service

doesn't reflect the costs involved to produce, maintain, or dispose

of said good or service.

...like Local Television and Radio broadcasting

I think it's far more fitting to say

'cheaper comes at a price',

or 'convenience comes at a price'.

Already, my comment that providing quality antivirus software

should be the responsibility of someone other than the end user

has cost me, and you time for a bloated post.

But of course, that's the price I've paid.

Maybe the torture could be having to answer to people on some messageboard

for something that is a realistically justified position...or having to read these long, rambling, meandering threads that distract the conversation remorselessly.

Edited by Guest
Thank You For Your Time.