Jambands.ca

Super Sunday (new olympic hockey thread)

dave-O

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tinyurl.com/yg7544g

burke%2Bready%2Bto%2Bgo.jpg

Brian Burke, the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well as the US Olympic team is never one to mince words. He's often provided entertaining bits for us to talk about. Well today he talked about tomorrow's huge matchup as well as the Vancouver games in general. Pretty good stuff ... especially the comments about the Olympics.

As to the game tomorrow, Burke had these comments ...

"We're the enemy tomorrow. It's going to be a hostile, crazy crowd for Canada, and that's the way it ought to be. It'll be a zoo in here. An important part of being a successful team is for our team to manage that."

"As tough as that might be on our young players, the pressure's not on our team tomorrow. The pressure's on Canada."

Cannot really argue that, the pressure is on Canada for sure.

His comments about the Olympic Games in general were great. As to criticism of the venues etc, Burke had the following to say ...

"I think that's bullshit. I've been to four Winter Olympics. This is the best one I've been to in terms of organization. You're going to have glitches in an event this size. With this many people, logistical things with multiple venues, you're going to have glitches. I don't know why people are whining about it.

"I think it's been extraordinarily well run — again, this is my fourth one so it's not like I'm a novice. I think they've done a marvellous job here. I wish people would quit bitching about it."

Nice to see someone defend us for once this past week. Vancouver cannot control the weather. The opening ceremonies I'll admit they screwed up, could go on and on about the aboriginals, but will spare everyone my rants on that. Anyway, cannot wait for the game tonight ... going to be a lot of nervous drinking for sure! Go Canada Go!

well corey perry was garbage on that empty net goal. and the rest of the team wasn't much better.

Perry looked dumb, but the rest of the team? They outshot the states 2-1 and had them on the run for 95% of the game. Canada dominated the fuck out of them. Miller (obviously) won the game and Brodeur let in some weak goals. Im more happy about this loss than I was about the win against the Swiss. They've shown how good they can be now. Doughty is fucking unbelievable!! And who would have thought Brodeur would play like he did?

Guest Low Roller
The Sharks choke again.

Were you guys even watching the same game as me? Heatley scored a goal and Marleau seemed to be in every play.

[color:purple]Well at least they tried. Go Canada!

Pronger sucked. Perry looked bad on that. Someone borrowed Broduer's pads and equipment.

And please, for the love of hockey, put Iginla back up with Crosby. 3 goals in 2 periods in game one. Why are they still looking for the proper winger top play on the top line?

Next up - luongo.

Awesome game for sure. That sustained pressure from about 3:30 - 2:00 remaining in the 3rd was just ridiculous. Canada didn't bury their chances early and Brodeur made a couple bonehead plays, what can you do?

"Sharks choke again" - while I laughed at the comment, that's another new bar-setter for stupidity. Heatley's the top scorer on the team and Marleau looks like the best all-around forward on the team through 3 games.

what i meant by my comment was that the best players in the world should be able to score goals. i don't care if they dominate anything, have sustained pressure, etc. they didn't score as many goals as their opponent.

exactly. there is no "difficulty multiplier" - this ain't ski jumping.

put the fucking puck in the net.

Guest Low Roller
Heatley's the top scorer on the team and Marleau looks like the best all-around forward on the team through 3 games.

[color:purple]Because personal stats matter.