Jambands.ca

Super Sunday (new olympic hockey thread)

dave-O

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really think Canada played poorly at all. Brodeur's attempted poke-check on the third goal was a questionable choice, and starting the third period with three consecutive penalties wasn't so smart (Stall's holding penalty in the offensive zone was particularly stupid). Otherwise, it was Miller Time for 60 minutes.

Pronger + Niedermayer + Boyle = W T F ?

Let some of the younger guys get some more ice time. Hell, Pronger's out there for 21 shifts and doesn't get ONE shot on net??? Seabrook was the only other player on the team without a shot on net, and he had half the shifts that Pronger got.

I think they definitely have to put Luongo in for the next game. However, who do you go with when they're up against the Russians in the quarters? Will Brodeur bounce-back with some killer play (like some goalies do after losses)? Or do you go again with Luongo and then for the remainder of the run if they make it past Russia? Tough choices that won't mean anything unless this team starts to find a way to bury the puck in the net more.

Miller was FANTASTIC. That sequence at the end of the third with all that action in the US end was insane.

http://results.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400A06_74__3_0.pdf

Roller needs to stick with the AHL, I think the NHL calibre of hockey is too much for his child-like emotions.

I had to listen to most of the game on the am dial so I couldn't really determine how good the Canadians scoring chances were having outshot the US 2-1, every play sounds exciting on the radio. Brodeurs half ass clearing attempt on the second goal and his sloppy puck handleing early on had me believing that we were done for.

Personally, I would rank Brodeur #3 on Canada's goalie depth chart. I know it would be unrealistic to name Brodeur to the team and not dress him, but Luongo has suppose to have been the next great goalie for Canada for the past decade. Let him prove it.

If he falters go with the goalie who has played in the most big games over the past couple of seasons.

My 2cents.

Luongo in vs. Germany would be my call... Brodeur looked out of sorts at the start of them game but came on strong. Miller was amazing, but I thought our scoring chances were weakened with poor shooting. There seemed to be two or three good chances down the stretch: Iggy shot it at Miller, Getlaf missed the net.

Pronger should be relegated to third line D and possibly the penalty kill- it just doesn't look like he cares at all.

Not sure what you're watching but I thought Marleau was everywhere at the right times and Heatley continued his hot streak. They sure as hell looked good to me!

All in all the game came down to goaltending and we lost fair and square.

It should be noted that I didn't see Crosby whine about anything while Staal complaining about the high stick in the 2nd was embarassing....

All in all the game came down to goaltending and we lost fair and square.

Yup. The refs did a great job last night. They let a lot of minor stuff slide (which most international games don't) and were completely fair and balanced it seemed.

Refs let them play ... and I wish Canada had taken more advantage of that and laid in a few more BIG hits (did McGuire say MONSTER at all??)

Marty Brodeur = 4 GA on 22 shots = 0.818 SV PCT.. he sucked ballz

2 bonehead plays by him, and overall he didn't look quick or alert until he realized he may be pulled had he allowed one more goal.

If they go with Luongo vs Germany, they will be going with Luongo for the rest of the games for sure... how could you ever go back to Marty against Russia if Luongo wins against Germany??? that's dumb...

Welcome to the new NHL Jagr.

Seriously, what the fuck does that even mean with regards to said hit? It was an open ice shot.

You take a shotgun approach when it comes to hockey. You just say a whole bunch of *stuff*, because you dont know anything, in the hope some of it sticks.

Before I forget to comment here:

Good ole "let's beat the traffic mid 3rd period" Ottawa fans

I started Super Sunday with a 67's game to really round out the day..... 4-1 Ottawa when we left.

Just couldn't let it slide... :P

In true Ottawa fashion we didn't even wait till it was close to finished- bolted with 12 minutes left! But at that point shots on goal were 21 to 6 for Ottawa, so it wasn't much of a contest anyways.

Saying "I thought Canada played a good game" is a bad argument IMO.

Sure - at times they looked good. And at times they looked aweful - and guess what, those times that they looked aweful the US scored. Brodeur's poke check. His swat of the puck. Sidney ith a shitting blocking attempt. Perry on the empty netter. Pronger most of the time giving it away.

Many shifts they looked dominate - but thats not good enoguh. Its a 60 minute game and they were not tuned in for a full 60 minutes. You take a shift off, they score, Canada loses. Thats not a good game.

You don't get points for effort (and even if you did there were players that wouldn't get them).

Saying "I thought Canada played a good game" is a bad argument IMO.

Sure - at times they looked good. And at times they looked aweful - and guess what, those times that they looked aweful the US scored. Brodeur's poke check. His swat of the puck. Sidney ith a shitting blocking attempt. Perry on the empty netter. Pronger most of the time giving it away.

Many shifts they looked dominate - but thats not good enoguh. Its a 60 minute game and they were not tuned in for a full 60 minutes. You take a shift off, they score, Canada loses. Thats not a good game.

You don't get points for effort (and even if you did there were players that wouldn't get them).

I guess my point is that they couldn't have played a better game. They're only fucking human. It is rather impossible to dominate every facet of a game against a team like the states. Sure, they gave up a FEW chances (which tends to happen in sports), but that's where the best goalie in history is supposed to come through for them. He didn't and they lost. Their goalie won the game for them. Therefore, looking ahead, Im rather optimistic.

If the team plays like they did against the states, they can still win it all.

I can't believe i had to agree with kipper after the game when he said they should have taken a timeout and kept out the crosby line after they dominated.

pretty good game really.. some shite goals, marty will be on the bench for the rest of the tourney for his fish out of water routine and his horrible play with the puck.

seriously, why the fuck do you not do everything within your power to have crosby out there at the end of the game. youve seen what he can do the last 2 years in the cup finals coach.

anyway not too worried. sets up an awesome quarterfinal game with the russians. one more game to play isnt that big of a deal.

but come on badcock keep iggy up there with crosby and nash.