Jambands.ca

Super Sunday (new olympic hockey thread)

dave-O

Some good points made by Mike Boone

Listen to Yogi Berra, for he is wise.

As Mike Babcock is wise.

Wise enough to play Chris Pronger and Dan Boyle 3:46 and 4:00, respectively, in the third period.

Wise enough to play Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith 9:41 and 8:44 in crunch time.

But now Canada faces the ignominy of playing Germany tomorrow in the qualification round.

So tell us, Wise One, who is your starting goaltender?

Martin Brodeur was not good last night.

Four goals on 22 shots?

Flopping around like David Aebischer.

Shedding the shackles of the trapezoid, Martin F. handled the puck with all the aplomb of a farmer trying to kill a rattlesnake with a shovel.

Anticipating Brodeur's prefrerence for playing the puck on his forehand, the Americans overloaded his left side to excellent effect.

As for the weak liner to shortstop .... well, the less said, the better.

Not good, certainly in comparison to red-hot Ryan Miller.

And maybe, just maybe, Brodeur is too old, his Hall of Fame creer prolonged past its Best Before date by New Jersey's hermetic system.

• • •

Unless Canada is about to string together four Ws, there are going to be a lot of questions asked about this team's personnel.

Are Pronger and Scott Niedermayer better than Mike Green?

Are Jarone Iginla and Corey Perry better than Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos?

Is Ryan Getzlaf better than Brad Richards?

Is Joe Thornton the worst money player in the history of hockey?

Patrice Bergeron played 5:27 last night, while Jeff Carter watched the game on TV.

Much to discuss.

Have at it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying "I thought Canada played a good game" is a bad argument IMO.

Sure - at times they looked good. And at times they looked aweful - and guess what' date=' those times that they looked aweful the US scored. Brodeur's poke check. His swat of the puck. Sidney ith a shitting blocking attempt. Perry on the empty netter. Pronger most of the time giving it away.

Many shifts they looked dominate - but thats not good enoguh. Its a 60 minute game and they were not tuned in for a full 60 minutes. You take a shift off, they score, Canada loses. Thats not a good game.

You don't get points for effort (and even if you did there were players that wouldn't get them).[/quote']

I guess my point is that they couldn't have played a better game. They're only fucking human. It is rather impossible to dominate every facet of a game against a team like the states. Sure, they gave up a FEW chances (which tends to happen in sports), but that's where the best goalie in history is supposed to come through for them. He didn't and they lost. Their goalie won the game for them. Therefore, looking ahead, Im rather optimistic.

If the team plays like they did against the states, they can still win it all.

I can't agree again. I would agree - if we were talking about the Leafs, or the Habs, and an 82 game season.

We're talking about the best players in the world picked for their skill, their track record, their ability to come up big when it matters.

They could have played a better game. They could have given up fewer chances, made bigger saves, and scored more goals.

We're not talking about my neighbours peewee team.

We got outchanced 2-1 Sunday night and our goaltender stole us a game. That's what happened. People can say Canada didnt play well' date=' but I dont agree with that. They outchanced us. I thought except for the goalie position, we didnt deserve to win that game.[/quote']

He only speaks with a psychological purpose. What he gets put in the paper may or may not be what he actually thinks.

You really think so Captain Obvious?

The point is, we had idiots in here implying that Canada lost because they were either garbage, or slightly better than garbage. A few of us didnt see the game that way at all.

I mean, joking or not, there was dumb shit like this:

Christ! Chris Neil, Chris Kelly and Jonathan Cheechoo would look good on Team Canada right now.

Yes, I am extremely pleased with the overall play of Team Canada. Having an extra game to work out whatever kinks they are finding is great in my books.

These games you are about to see are going to come down to goaltending. You meet a hot one and it could spell the end. That's just how it goes and I am ok with it.

Those games meant nothing. Tonights game is good for a team trying to come together in a quick tournament like this. Tonight is the start of the real tournament and if they play like they did against the US tonight and against Russia I think they will win. Anything can happen in a one game elimination including facing a hot goaltender and loosing. But if you think Canada played terrible Sunday against the States you were not watching the same game I was. I personally wouldn't be happy with how my team played if I was Brian Burke either because they didn't play a good game. They won because of a hot goalie.

Yes, I am extremely pleased with the overall play of Team Canada.

Define extremely pleased and overall play because I think we've got different opinions on what those words mean. The only way I can accept that statement as anything other than dick wagging bullshit is if extremely pleased means "There's plenty of positives" and goaltending isn't part of overall play. And hussle.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they can win and they played great at times against the US, but I'm not extremely pleased with their overall play, I wasn't extremely pleased with the Swiss game in the slightest and they had their their costly breakdowns with the US.

Those games meant nothing. Tonights game is good for a team trying to come together in a quick tournament like this. Tonight is the start of the real tournament and if they play like they did against the US tonight and against Russia I think they will win. Anything can happen in a one game elimination including facing a hot goaltender and loosing. But if you think Canada played terrible Sunday against the States you were not watching the same game I was. I personally wouldn't be happy with how my team played if I was Brian Burke either because they didn't play a good game. They won because of a hot goalie.

Well said :clapclap:

Of course there are things to work on but there always will be when a team only has been together for 3 games. And yes, I am extremely pleased with their overall play.....for a team that has only been together for 3 games? Absolutely.

So take my wagging dick and stick it in your mouth.

Of course there are things to work on but there always will be when a team only has been together for 3 games. And yes, I am extremely pleased with their overall play.....for a team that has only been together for 3 games? Absolutely.

So take my wagging dick and stick it in your mouth.

Well said :clapclap: