Jambands.ca

Keller William calls "That 1 Guy" a Genius

Jay Funk Dawg

t1g-430.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.kellerwilliams.net/?q=node/981

I did a show the other night in Dallas with "That 1 Guy". The first time I saw him was at the evolve fest in nova scotia. But the show I did with him really slapped me in the face with the realization that this 1 guy is a genius. He plays a one of a kind,

2-string contraption made from 2 thick metal cylinders that are possibly used for industrial or under-ground piping. He has sample triggers all over it and packs the intensity of a full-blown rock show. The music is slightly dark with elements of "zappa"esque vocals. The show is packed with visual art including magic tricks and illusions. I'm tempted to describe in detail but I'd rather you feel the experience and absorb the surprises for yourself. He's currently on a massive 5-month driving tour. Chances are he's playing close by. Go.

p.s.

That One Guy plays Toronto on Saturday, March 20th @ Rivoli

www.that1guy.com

Do you know who That 1 Guy is - a dude who plays PVC tubing.

Hey now' date=' he doesn't just play the tube ya know, he also plays a shoe and a large hand saw. sheesh.[/quote']

It is most certainly NOT made of PVC tubes- infact I heard that his 'new' pipe is made from remnant materials from the Mars Rover construction (not confirmed):

The Magic Pipe

The Magic Pipe, also known by his close friends as 'The Broken Bowflex', is a homemade, electronically rigged pair of steel pipes, connected by adjustable joints, with each pipe hosting an orchestral bass string. The harp-shaped instrument is roughly seven feet tall and features 13 trigger points, which can be mapped to various musical sound effects or samples. The front pipe uses a low C string, while the rear pipe's string is used to achieve more tenor ranged notes. The pipes themselves are employed to produce various percussive sounds while That 1 Guy slaps, plucks, or bows the strings, as well as occasionally utilizing a drum stick to sound the strings and the pipes at the same time. The creation of the Magic Pipe was based on Silverman’s double bass experience, as well as borrowing from the concepts of the gutbucket and the diddley bow.

IMO the guy puts on a live show which is something to behold upon first view, but quickly grows stale with the second or third shows.

That said- seeing him play Folk Fest last year was both eye opening and jaw dropping. He slid in and out of various sessions, playing the Pipe along with traditional stand up basses and a variety of percussive items, with a wide variety of musicians over many genres. During each song he was a part of he not only provided some solo moments but seemed to have an excellent feel for whatever music was being played and made for an excellent accompanist.

I mention the materials because I lugged that fucking pipe around for a day and a half and wished it was made of PVC tubes....

I don't envy you having to haul that gear, though :P .

Imagine if Envelope 3 was playing... (Actually, I'd like to see an evening in the Ottawa Folk Fest dance tent with an hour of That 1 Guy and an hour of Envelope 3, maybe with a half-hour of the two of them together sandwiched in between.)

Aloha,

Brad

... Do you know who's a genius off the top of my head Prince, Noam Chomsky, probably Obama, Nietzsche, David Foster Wallace.

Do you know who That 1 Guy is - a dude who plays PVC tubing.

Do you know who Keller Williams is? Why bother.

haha. Let's not quote keller williams looping about genius. I agree. Positive Prince vibes always get my attention.

I don't envy you having to haul that gear' date=' though :P .

[/quote']

Imagine if Envelope 3 was playing... (Actually, I'd like to see an evening in the Ottawa Folk Fest dance tent with an hour of That 1 Guy and an hour of Envelope 3, maybe with a half-hour of the two of them together sandwiched in between.)

Aloha,

Brad

If someone could give me a hard copy package for E3, I'd be happy to put it on the top of the stack. The change in directors of artistry at the fest means a likely about-face in direction from what I have heard and, unfortunately in this case the now departed Chris White was the sympathetic ear that originally took the chance on Mike and had continued to champion him.