Jambands.ca

0 more sleeps for Wilco in Ottawa!

bouche

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Jeff Tweedy on this one. You people butchered Jesus Etc last night.

Douglas brought it home though. She had a big smile singing that one.n Seriously though, that was outstanding. Reservations and Blue Eyed Soul were right up my alley in that perfectly sounding room, along with an attentitively respectful crowd.

Dont read if you are going to a show in the near future, this is your only warning.

Holy fack, Mr Soul > Broken Arrow????? When did they start doing that? That was wicked!

They've been doing Broken Arrow for the whole tour, but the Mr Soul part was a second timer in Ottawa having been pulled out the show before...

WILCO STAGE SPECTACULAR SHOW AT NAC

I didn’t realize just how dangerous a band like Wilco could be.

America’s favourite alternative pop band rolled into a sold-out National Arts Centre Monday night and delivered a concert jam that was so hot and frenzied, it threatened to boil over into mayhem, at least onstage, inside the normally well-behaved Southam Hall.

You might have heard about concerts like this, the night that The Who destroyed their set or the night the Stones played the El Mocambo. Okay, maybe that is going a little too far.

But there’s no doubt that Wilco gave a performance that was unforgettable in just about every way a concert can be. From their generous 26-song setlist, gorgeous sound, a dazzling lightshow and frontman Jeff Tweedy’s acerbic wit to the band’s extraordinary individual and collective musical performances, it’s hard to imagine a fan asking for more.

With Tweedy up front and guitar wiz Nels Cline, John Stirratt on bass, Glenn Kotche on drums, Pat Sarsone and Mikael Jorgensen floating between guitars and keyboards, the boys from Chicago — currently touring Canada — got immediately down to business, efficiently opening their two-hour-plus set with Wilco (the song) and then into a three-way guitar jam on Bull Black Nova, You Are My Face, and Company In My Back that featured breathtaking solos and a dramatic deconstruction on I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

That was the tipping point of the concert. From then on, Wilco could have played Black Sheep, Black Sheep and I would have been happy. Why?

Because you don’t often get the chance to see six rock players improvise off each other without losing any of the song’s momentum the way these guys did on One Wing, A Shot In The Arm and Cline’s hair-raising guitar solo on Side With the Seed and later again on Impossible Germany.

It was finally at this point that the rumpled Tweedy spoke to the audience.

“You seem to be in a good mood, did you win a big sporting event or something?†he asked sarcastically.

“I’ve never seen people happier in my life.†And they were.

Standing in their seats and dancing in the aisles, everyone in Southam Hall seemed to be trembling with anticipation, as the band continued to play and sometimes reinvent songs like Deeper Down, California Stars, Blue-Eyed Son and Handshake Drugs that ended in Sonic Youth amounts of feedback and had even the NAC ushers shuffling rhythmically at their posts.

Tweedy did warn his Ottawa fans not to become too excited because they might be confused with Americans.

“What happened to you? You used to be so polite.â€

Wilco’s set see-sawed between the old and new, including their George Harrison-inspired single You Never Know from their latest album Wilco — The Album, before Tweedy handed the vocals entirely to the 2,200 fans, all of them, on Jesus Etc., Poor Places, and Reservations, before finishing with an encore longer than Mariah Carey’s whole setlist, beginning with The Buffalo Springfield’s Broken Arrow, Via Chicago, Hate Is Here, Walken, I’m The Man Who Loves You and I’m A Wheel.

Not being a big Wilco fan, I can still say it was a brilliant concert. Years from now, Ottawa’s hipsters will still be talking about Wilco’s NAC gig as one of those “were-you-there?†gigs.

Too bad for you, if you weren’t.

Denis Armstrong, Ottawa Sun

Edited by Guest
AD

Some people dont understand the concept of spoilers.

And I assumed my question following the spoiler alert would have tipped you off to my facetious nature but I guess I need to be more wary of the audience around these parts. What's the point of warning with a spoiler alert if the next couple of posters are going to spoil it anyways?

Some people dont understand the concept of spoilers.

And I assumed my question following the spoiler alert would have tipped you off to my facetious nature but I guess I need to be more wary of the audience around these parts. What's the point of warning with a spoiler alert if the next couple of posters are going to spoil it anyways?

Booche, it was mentioned at least a few times in the Wilco Hamilton thread by skanks and in newspaper reviews ( Link)

I'm sure if somebody was following how people here had been enjoying Wilco shows on this tour they would have seen that, or on a setlist posting somewhere else on the nets.

Wow, wow, wow. That was unbelievable. I can't even fathom how that show could have been any better.

I would like to personally thank the people behind us for not once asking us to sit down and the guy who came to the empty seats beside us and asked "Are you going to be dancing the entire show?... Cool!"

I'm sure if somebody was following how people here had been enjoying Wilco shows on this tour they would have seen that, or on a setlist posting somewhere else on the nets.

What you think others may or may not be doing is not the issue here. You guys giving away my spoiler alert is. What's so hard to understand about that?

Whatever, jackasses.

We both recognized the fact that the spoiler alert was only for people who hadn't read for details for the past week or so (you)....

"Usu. a term to describe when crucial elements of a event are about to be revealed (i.e. the ending, a regularly played Neil Young cover, a twist, etc.)"

Wilco Tour Spoiler

The next show is in Halifax on Mar. 3, 2010

We both recognized the fact that the spoiler alert was only for people who hadn't read for details for the past week or so (you)....

Oh boy, look at you. Spoiling spoilers just to prove you have been following the details of their tour. Way to go fanboy!

Edited by Guest
fandomish

Oh boy look at you, all grumpy because you were out past 11pm....

I was pasting the article which contained said "spoiler". And of course how has fandom become checking out the previous setlist on a tour and actually remembering the one song they haven't been playing every night for two years?

Put down the bong Booche.

What's so hard to understand?

I was hoping others might end up with their jaws on the floor, just as mine was last night, when they hear that cover performed for the first time rather than expect it coming. Luckily I hadnt noticed Wilco were performing said song. I am positive when I saw Neil Young I would have shat my pants when he started playing A Day In The Life had I not known about it going in.

My intent was pretty obvious.