Jambands.ca

The Pacific

bouche

Get your PVR's ready for sunday night's "The Pacific" on HBO!

I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced. Band of Brothers was one of the most entertaining, and enlightening programs that I've seen on television and this is going to probably have the same effect.

Has anyone else been paying attention to this mini-series?

from the wiki:

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.[3] The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. It also draws on Sledge's China Marine[28] and Red Blood, Black Sand,[29] the memoir of Chuck Tatum, a Marine who fought alongside Basilone at Iwo Jima and witnessed his death. [30]

The series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Hugh Ambrose has authored the official tie-in book to the series[31], which follows the stories of the three men featured in the series as well as stories of their fellow Marines. It is set to publish in the US and UK in March 2010.

STOKED! band of brothers and before it; saving private ryan were amazing. can't wait to watch this new series!

edit to add: did anyone see Hanks on Colbert the other night? i actually agree with some of Colberts premise about Hank's having the legitimacy of "history maker".

http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-colbert-report/full-episodes/#clip275878

pt 2 (with preview of pacific)is here:

http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-colbert-report/full-episodes/#clip275878

Edited by Guest

just finished watching EP. 1 - guadalcanal and i got to say wow! so far i really like the way this miniseries is going. it doesn't seem to be pulling punches in terms of brutality on both sides and the action is intense! (as you would expect from the team that brought war movies to a new level). i wish there were more of those scenes with the real veterans talking about their experiences. didn't BoB have more of that, or am i confusing it with (maybe) the ken burns "war" series? i'm totally pumped to see the rest of this and would love to say more but maybe spoiler rules should be established for the thread. proposal:if you haven't seen the week's EP yet stay away from the thread till you have?

i really liked the closing scene(s) with the scavenging from japanese dead (reminded me of clint's movies on this topic)juxtaposed with the letter reading scene....oh and what's up with 4:30 of closing credits?!!! i was checkin bar on my VLC and thinkin cool! i got another 5 minutes of action! burn! hehe...