Jambands.ca

So...I need a Roller Derby name...

booches sista

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I joined the Tri-City Roller Girls in September.

I Just passed my minimums this month. DERBY ROCKS. Unfortunately I missed the first round draft for this season but I did get a spot on the "Smash Squad" for now which is still awesome because we will get to play other "Smash Squad" teams in the area until the next draft.

I just went through the whole thing with 2evils and it's tough...so many names are already taken.

I had a long list but really wanted to be Ann Killbiter. (I'm a bit on the short side.) Anyway Ankle Biter was taken by a girl in Dallas but turns out if you get written permission from the person with the similar name..as long as its not identical you're good to go.

So if you really like a name but it comes up with high probablility of rejection there is the option to contact the team. I basically just googled the Dallas teams and emailed the general manager.

I just received permission this week from the Dallas Derby Devils GM I could go ahead and use Ann Killbiter. WOOOHOO!!!

Most of my names that made my short list were just that - play on being short (ie: tyn-o-mite, bitty biter, etc.) Not very threatening which is what you said you were hoping for so my suggestions probably aren't what you're looking for.

One priceless suggestion I had was LIQUORFACE.

Good luck with everything....I cannot believe how fun and amazing Derby is.

Anyway, not much help here in the name suggesting department but I will say....AWESOME again...good luck and perhaps I'll see you on the track sometime soon!!!!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go with Spike Tuffy for a real inside joke, which I suppose also contains a triple entendre referencing local and national news legend, Mike Duffy.

ARTIST: Jim Croce

TITLE: Roller Derby Queen

Lyrics and Chords

Gonna tell you a story that you won't believe

But I fell in love last Friday evenin'

With a girl I saw on a barroom T.V. screen

Well I was just gettin' ready to get my hat

When she caught my eye and I put it back

And I ordered myself a couple o' more shots and beers

/ E7 - / A7 - / B7 A7 E7 - /:

The night that

{Refrain}

I fell in love with a Roller Derby Queen

Round and round, oh round and round

The meanest hunk o' woman that anybody ever seen

Down in the arena

/ G A / E7 - / G A B7 / - /

She was five foot six and two fifteen

A bleached-blonde mama with a streak of mean

She knew how to knuckle and she knew how to scuffle and fight

And the roller derby program said

That she was built like a 'frigerator with a head

Her fans call her "Tuffy" but all her buddies called her "Spike"

You know that

{Refrain}

Round and round, go round and round

Round and round

Well I could not help it but to fall in love

With this heavy-duty woman I been speakin' of

Things looked kind of bad until the day she skated into my life

Well she might be nasty, she might be fat

But I never met a person who would tell her that

She's my big blonde bomber, my heavy handed Hackensack mama

You know that

{Refrain}

Round and round

Love Anne-i-maul, but already taken as Annie Maul.

Anne Illgesix is good too...I'll be using lots of those!

Amy Roundhouse is near the top of the list...I could layer on the eyeliner right to my ears!

Anne Other One Bites the Dust and Little Orphan-Maker Annie are my two favs so far.

Yes, Booche, I am actually joining a league. It starts the end of April at the M-Centre...Thursday nights from 8-10. I had no idea how big it was but I guess in Toronto and Quebec it's growing really fast so they're branching out to Kingston. Should be fun!

Thanks for the suggestions :content:

I want to come to a game, or match, or roll, or whatever you people call these things...

Here's one for ya...

n350859586343_2952.jpg

*FAMILY FEUD*

VICIOUS DISHES VS. VENUS FLY TRAMPS

These two teams have been training together all winter and are ready to unleash their skills in the ultimate expression of sibling rivalry. Don't miss it!

Saturday April 10

Doors: 6 pm

First whistle: 7pm

New Hamburg Arena

251 Jacob st. New Hamburg

(at the fairgrounds)

$10 advance

$12 at the door

*kids 12 and under FREE*

Tickets available NOW!

Kitchener: Encore Records

Waterloo: Wordsworth Books

Delirium Clothing

Generation X videos

New Hamburg: Upper Case Books

Join us for the after party!!

@ Chainsaw

28 King st. w.

Waterloo

TCRG

Lots of Derby action for you to find in TO, Hamilton and almost every other city too but I'm a wee bit biased since I skate in KW!

Come check it out, it's pretty freaking awesome!!!!

I keep meaning to get out to see some rollerderby. Please provide some links to when/where/how and I'll see you in action.

Bit closer than KW

It starts the end of April at the M-Centre...Thursday nights from 8-10. I had no idea how big it was but I guess in Toronto and Quebec it's growing really fast so they're branching out to Kingston. Should be fun!

Updates please when you start skating....love to hear all about it...also you should visit here...lots of info for you...rules, testing, etc etc.

Thanks for the links livingstoned. I had already googled TCRG when you mentioned it earlier. The WFTDA is a great site. I was reading up on the equipment as I was planning on getting mine on Monday. Good stuff in there to know.

Now I have some studying to do! Rules...ref signals...

You say it took you 7-8 months to pass the minimums...were you a skater when you started? Because I haven't been on roller skates in YEARS. Just wondering what I should expect.

If you had Double D's it would be the perfect name. I dig it though, it's damn good.

My favorite from this thread is Anne Grenade. I wish I came up with that one myself. That's why I love/hate Velvet so much. He does that shit to me all the time.

Damn! I liked Anne Grenade.

I think Annie Maul is brilliant. I like the triple pun - kinda like Dana Traction (Main Attraction with yer leg in traction?) maybe a little tiny wee bit?

I'm overjoyed that you're considering Amy Roundhouse! I would be proud to add "Successful Roller Derby name suggester" to my resume.

Thanks for the links livingstoned. I had already googled TCRG when you mentioned it earlier. The WFTDA is a great site. I was reading up on the equipment as I was planning on getting mine on Monday. Good stuff in there to know.

Now I have some studying to do! Rules...ref signals...

You say it took you 7-8 months to pass the minimums...were you a skater when you started? Because I haven't been on roller skates in YEARS. Just wondering what I should expect.

I could skate when I started but same thing I hadn't skated in years. I was a bit nervous on my feet at first but it definitely helped that I had roller skated before. The first thing we learned was how to fall so once I got that down I had a lot more confidence on the skates. Always fall forward!!! The more you keep your weight forward and yourself low the better ie: "derby stance"

I started in the fall which was the end of season, minimums weren't scheduled again until Feb/Mar but some girls just started in January and were tested and passed.

For me the hardest part of testing was laps...you need 25 laps in 5 minutes. The rest of the stuff you're tested on (jumping, hitting, weaving, etc) is stuff you'll most likely be working on every practice and testing aside from laps was done at a pretty slow pace focusing on technique rather than speed.

The hardest thing about Derby for me overall is getting timing down for hitting. It took a few months to get insurance so while we practice 3 times a week and I was learning everything else I couldn't participate in a lot of drills since majority of them are contact. I've been insured since January now but I still find it tough to throw a really powerful hit everytime I should be hitting someone.

It is so much fun!!! I love it!!!

As for gear, not sure what options you have in your area but look for a "Fresh Meat Package" if you can find one works out to be a bit cheaper than buying everything seperate. Here's a great site for stuff too. www.rollergirl.ca Customer service is awesome. I ordered a few things from them and was super impressed.

YAAAAAYYYY!!!! derby girl!!!

congratulations!!! derby is on my YEAH I WISH list, but i love it enough to be content as enthusiastic head cheerleader, haha.

some great name suggestions in here for sure! as for this:

Oh...and my husband thinks I should be Slamantha Fox. Will anyone even know who that is?

i think you'll be safe -- the average age i've seen for both players and fans is old enough to know. :D and if there are any super youngins who don't, they'll just think you're sassy & foxy.

of your top picks, i vote orphan maker or roundhouse!

• 2 months later...

So, I went with Little Orphan-Maker Annie (pending approval by www.twoevils.org). Thanks gentlemonkey. My backup is Amy Roundhouse.

For those that are interested, there is a fund raiser here in Kingston on Saturday, July 10th at The Mansion. They have some bands lined up that I have never heard of, but they're donating their time:

Spread the Secret

On a Whim

Mississippi Grover

Dr Jones

I won't be there as I will be spending the night with my favourite nephew in Ottawa while his parents go to see The Flaming Lips. Baby Booche and I will be having our own party that night and I can't wait!

The fundraiser is to support our first bout in September. Since we haven't met all the minimum skill requirements yet, we can only play against each other, but it promises to be entertaining!

Save the date: Friday, September 10.

So I'm guessing you love it and it's going well??

Woohoo can't wait to hear all about your first bout!!! I just played for the first time in front of people on Saturday....so scary. We did a demo bout outside on concrete (smooth skate park type surface) which was pretty slow for the most part but whatever I GOT TO PLAY and did pretty good for a first game. I didn't even puke from the fear...I was pretty sure I was going to.