Jambands.ca

The Molasses Incident: Cleaning Tips?

Patchoulia

Sometime last year, I'm not sure when, a container of molasses, living in a basket on top of my fridge, began to leak.

I'm not sure of the circumstances that preceded this unnatural kitchen disaster, only the result: a Molasses Slick on the floor behind the fridge.

Molasses, as I'm sure you're aware, is a dangerous, sometimes deadly, substance, characterized by its extreme stickiness. One need look no further than "Boston's Great Molasses Flood of 1919" to understand the destructive power of molasses.

In my case, I just need to clean it up. But I'm having a really hard time. Scrubbing utensils (i.e. rag or sponge or mop) and cleaning products seem to be no match for the immovable sugary river mocking me from behind my fridge.

Has anyone else ever experienced a molassestastrophe? Any tips?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a frozen icepack - cover it in saran wrap and set it on the molasses spill. In 5 mins it will harden a bit and you can use a scraper of sorts to get the worst of it off. Then you can spray what's left with a cleaner/degreaser and let it sit for 5 min, wipe it off and there ya go!

...wait a minute...yer leaving your place right? fuckit! put a doily on it.

Edited by Guest

get a frozen icepack - cover it in saran wrap and set it on the molasses spill. In 5 mins it will harden a bit and you can use a scraper of sorts to get the worst of it off. Then you can spray what's left with a cleaner/degreaser and let it sit for 5 min, wipe it off and there ya go!

...wait a minute...yer leaving your place right? fuckit! put a doily on it.

Your last point is well-taken. Fuck it.

This happened to me once. I peed on it and let that shit soak it up overnight. Came right off in the morning with a little soapy water and no smell because the pungency of the molasses masked it.

So your urine posseses extraordinary powers?

You should start selling it. Maybe you can get the "you're going to love my nuts" guy to market it for you...

"Booche's urine. Spray it, drizzle it, slosh it on - no stain is too great for BOOCHE'S URINE! This piss is gold, on more than one level."

I heard an "expert" the other day (I think it was the CBC) say that you can find out if you're hydrated enough by checking your urine. He said you are looking for how clear your pee is, the lighter the better.

He mentioned that the standard is you should be able to read a newspaper through your urine.

That has been bugging me ever since.

That's interesting, Todd...when I was growing up in Dryden, during my teenage years, a declaration was put forth at a party/camping night: NO ONE LEAVES HERE TIL THEIR PEE RUNS CLEAR!!!

Actually, that's kind of a nonsequitor, vis a vis this thread, though it is on topic.