Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folk Festival- Aug 13 to 15 2010

Northern Wish

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KevO you will probably like to hear that you were one of my most requested people to work with.....

Come back!

Ha! Most requested by the artists themselves I take it? ;) After all, I did give Joel Plaskett a good smashing to the shin with a guitar amp when he wasn't looking. He found it to be a humbling experience if I recall correctly - he apologized to ME about it!

I still have a funny picture of you Sean gazing at Travis Good from side stage during one of the workshops (with the Sadies, Amy Milan, Charlotte Cornfield, etc). I will get that to you some day.

Say hi to Sonny Ochs for me if she is back again this year.

Wow that was a trip -- early morning for me and at 6am-ish or thereabouts and with barely half a coffee in my belly, I suddenly hear Northern Wish's voice -- look up and see his face on my television (CTV local news) talking Folk Fest.

Sad that I missed the Hidden Cameras, but duty called. How was it? One time, long ago, driving to a festival with Joel Gibb of HC where we were camping out at his aunt's place, my girlfriend at the time stuck a big wad of gum in his hair because he had said something very not nice. He had a total meltdown. This was before he came out - I always wonder if he would be cooler to hang with now that he has gotten that out of the way. The last interview I saw with him, he seemed much less dickish then the guy I knew in my teenage years.

^ oh for sure, I'll get it all transferred at some point this week.

The highlight of the festival for me was Brothers Salvation workshop with Arrested Development, Bruce Peninsula, Hoots and Hellmouth, Hidden Cameras, and Jill Zmud. Specifically the Crabapples jam that evolved into AD's Revolution and then into 4 Non Blonde's "Whats Going On". Just one of those special moments.

I was also quite blown away by Hoots and Hellmouth and the ferioucness and energy they play with. Will definitely catch them if they roll around here again.

Was great meeting you Sean and your team, and Hans did an excellent job on Galaxie tent as well, super nice guy! Tell him that.

The highlight of the festival for me was Brothers Salvation workshop with Arrested Development, Bruce Peninsula, Hoots and Hellmouth, Hidden Cameras, and Jill Zmud. Specifically the Crabapples jam that evolved into AD's Revolution and then into 4 Non Blonde's "Whats Going On". Just one of those special moments.

I was also quite blown away by Hoots and Hellmouth and the ferioucness and energy they play with. Will definitely catch them if they roll around here again.

I agree 10000% on both points. The Whats Going On was followed up by Jill Zmud starting Water into Wine as an acapella and quickly evolved into a gospel rave up. We were actually watching the stage very closely where Hoots and Speech were raging- there was some concern that the stage might give way.....

Highlights were far too many remember them all but how about:

-Brother Loves Travelling Show

-Watching Jenny Whiteley with Dan Whiteley + Amy Millan and seeing CanRock support its own (Luke Doucet, Jim Bryson and Kevin Drew were all in attandance)

-Just about everything Frank Turner did this weekend both on and off stage was entertaining but his adventures in Jameson on Sunday and his cover of Thunder Road on Friday were the tops

-hearing FreekerByTheSpeeker ask me "why, whats going on out there?" when I told him that the site was a disaster on Sunday and he told me he had slept through the storm of the year

-planning Ottawas new fest : "Awesomefest" with Dylan, Lynne Hanson, Trev and Frank Turner (details are sketchy, but there will be lots of women, whiskey, a swim up tiki bar and Frank / Loudon Wainright will rotate sets for the whole fest)

-seeing Jim Bryson play a strong set despite some recent bad press

-swimming at Brittania Beach mid afternoon listening to Frank Turner, Carolyn Mark and Jim Bryson talk about kids, harmonicas and discussing the 'range' of the nearby throat singer

-Jim Cuddy thanking the crew for making the show possible not only before he went on, but then to the crowd as well getting my team a bit of a standing ovation

Snoots toots and boots!

Sean

super fun times again!!!

drawk- i talked to joel and asked him about the gum incident! but he didn't remember :( that guy has crazy blue eyes. their show was a treat.

phorbesie i have pix on my facebook of deb doing her tambourine onstage! it was awesome!

i didn't catch as much music as last year but had a really good time. such a nice vibe at this festival, no sketchies, sweet views! love it.

tried to add a photo but couldn't do it! sorry!

Edited by Guest

now THAT was a weekend!!

as always...a shout-out to Sean for the awesome gig.

My personal highlights:

~~chats and hugs from most of Arrested Development.

~~Everything Hoots and Hellmouth. (the CD I bought has been on rotation ALL day...and I just giddily discovered they are on the archive!!)

~~learning contra dancing on Saturday morning (I do believe I will join/participate in the local contra-dance group when they meet twice per month in the west-end)

~~ washing/drying dishes in the Enviro-tent with the drummer from Hidden Cameras and then ending up on stage with them banging on the tambourine!

~~listening to an animated Adambrot describe a mind-exploding experience in Peru at the close of Saturday night

~~ finishing a stellar, stellar day with the Jerry tribute at the Carleton!!

thanks to all who fed my soul this past weekend with your smiles, your conversations, your laughter, your music, and your love!!!

I'm already ready for Folk Fest 2011 !!