Jambands.ca

Treme

ersh

Just finished watching Season 1 of this show... pretty amazing.

Anyone else diggin this?

from wikipedia...

Treme is an American television drama series created by David Simon (The Wire) and Eric Overmyer. Tremé is a neighborhood in the city of New Orleans. The series begins three months after Hurricane Katrina where the residents of New Orleans, including musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians, and ordinary New Orleanians try to rebuild their lives, their homes and their unique culture in the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane.

How far'd ya get? Like The Wire, I found once I got a handle on the characters (which didn't take too long for me) I was hooked. I even went back and rewatched the first few episodes once I got the hang of it.

But should a good show grab you right off the top... or does it take time to really get invested in the grit of a series to get the full worth of it? I wonder...

I recommend a second try.

Man... you gotta get down there too. I've only been once, but it's something else. Definitely one of the most magical cities I've ever been and played. I'd love to be able to get deeper than the day I spent there in the French quarter.

Maybe it's a bit of the having been there that makes the show that much cooler for me. Although.... I've also been to the depths of the worst parts of Baltimore, and that doesn't make the Wire any more appealing... although that was after having finished the series. Eek.

totally dug Treme. It does take a couple of episodes to get into the characters and the pace. Music is fantastic to say the least and the cameos by influential players add to the show`s genuine character. Great finish to the season too. The show takes a number of turns along the way and is well worth getting through to the end (and watching through some speakers that can do some justice to the great musicianship).

Loved it when they offered the one character a gig for pay. Choose between two hands, two gigs. He asks what the one he missed out on was, and it was to play trombone in a horn section with Little Feat :) :) :)

Love the show. Easy to get into especially with the music. I love how in the first few episodes, you get cameo's of Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Stanton Moore, etc....

Eventually, Ivan Nevelle's Dumpstafunk!

Loved it when they offered the one character a gig for pay. Choose between two hands, two gigs. He asks what the one he missed out on was, and it was to play trombone in a horn section with Little Feat
That was cool, but not so bad to end up with a gig with Allen Tousant! (and BTW, that sucks about Richie Hayward).

So is there only 10 episodes? It didn't feel like it ended.

John Goodman rules!

This show has all the right ingredients for me: the music, the vibrant cultural heritage, the sense of community, the politics of Hurricane Katrina and a slew of solid characters (Antoine Baptiste, LaDonna, Creighton, Davis, Big Chief all have so many great moments .... And who could argue that Annie isn't adorable as she is designed to be). I hang off of every episode! The scene in episode 1 when Big Chief first dons his Mardi Gras outfit and goes to his friend's place in the middle of the night to get him onboard (with repairing the bar and reviving the tribe) was the first scene to give me the shivers. I know season 2 is in the works, not sure when it launches though.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/24065/HBO's-Treme-Soundtrack-Out-9.28

SOUNDTRACK FEATURES TROMBONE SHORTY,

SOUL REBELS BRASS BAND, DR. JOHN, STEVE ZAHN, AND OTHERS

A digital release date and a tracklisting has been unveiled for the soundtrack to the first season of the NOLA-based HBO show Treme. Treme: Music From The HBO Original Series, Season 1 will have a digital release on September 28, with a physical CD release is expected later in the fall. The soundtrack features Trombone Shorty, Rebirth Brass Band, Dr. John, and others. Check out the tracklisting below. (via hitflix.com).

TREME: MUSIC FROM THE HBO ORIGINAL SERIES, SEASON 1

1. "Treme Song (Main Title Version") - John Boutté

2. "Feel Like Funkin' It Up (Live Street Mix)" - Rebirth Brass Band

3. "I Hope You're Comin' Back to New Orleans" - The New Orleans Jazz Vipers

4. "Skokiaan" - Kermit Ruffins & The Barbecue Swingers

5. "Ooh Poo Pah Doo" - Trombone Shorty & James Andrews

6. "Drinka Little Poison (4 U Die)" - Soul Rebels Brass Band & John Mooney

7. "We Made It Through That Water" - Free Agents Brass Band

8. "Shame Shame Shame" - Steve Zahn & Friends

9. "My Indian Red" - Dr. John

10. "At the Foot of Canal Street" - John Boutté, Paul Sanchez, Glen David Andrews & New Birth Brass Band

11. "Buona Sera" - Louis Prima

12. "New Orleans Blues" - Tom McDermott & Lucia Micarelli

13. "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" - Michiel Huisman, Lucia Micarelli & Wendell Pierce

14. "Indian Red (Wild Man Memorial)" - Mardi Gras Indians

15. "Indian Red" - Donald Harrison

16. "Time Is On My Side" - Irma Thomas & Allen Toussaint

17. "This City" - Steve Earle

18. "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" - Treme Brass Band

19. "My Darlin' New Orleans" - Leigh "Li'l Queenie" Harris

Aloha,

Brad

It might not be available yet (digital release date is Sept 28).. Looks great though! Can't wait for Treme season two!

FYI - Spike Lee has recently completed a new 4-hour documentary on New Orleans, 5 years post Hurricane Katrina, which also takes a look at the initial impact of the oil spill upon the city's recovery and image. It's a follow up to his 2006 doc When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts. The new doc aired last week I believe on HBO (split into two 2-hour segments). Haven't gone looking for the d/l links yet but they're probably out there by now.

Also, I believe Trombone Shorty is coming to Toronto soon - maybe Koerner Hall? (Or maybe he already passed through this Summer during TO Jazz Fest, not sure which).

Also, I believe Trombone Shorty is coming to Toronto soon - maybe Koerner Hall? (Or maybe he already passed through this Summer during TO Jazz Fest, not sure which).

I didn't see any Toronto shows listed at

http://www.tromboneshorty.com/tour.html

He played at the Ottawa Blues Fest back in July, so maybe he played Toronto around the same time?

Aloha,

Brad