Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 10/11

hamilton

What is more likely: Phil Kessel telling the truth while he's frustrated and annoyed, or Phil Kessel telling the truth after some Clockwork Orange-style mind control from Brian Burke and the player's agents?

Yeah, I'm going with door number one.

It really doesn't matter if Kessel dislikes Ron Wilson. And, it really doesn't matter if they don't speak, providing Tim Hunter or Keith Acton or Rob Zettler is communicating with him. There are plenty of successful coach/player combinations that involve very little love.

What does matter? This: the same afternoon Kessel lobbed his grenade, Jim Hughson asked Devils coach Jacques Lemaire about Ilya Kovalchuk and Marian Gaborik. Lemaire said the two talented Europeans presented similar challenges in trying to turn them into complete players. "They want to learn," he added, "but sometimes they forget everything they must do." As a result, you cannot count on them at certain critical moments in a game.

Lemaire could have been talking about Kessel. For all his skill, he lacks the complete game. Wilson may not be Mr. Popularity, but you can't blame him for being annoyed at Kessel's on-ice performance.

Why aren't things working out? There are a lot of reasons in Toronto, but the winger must eat a healthy slice of the blame. He wanted to be a Maple Leaf, but is no more a force now than when he arrived. He's 23 years old and unhappy in his second organization. You reach a point where it's not someone else's fault.

Imagine Burke's reaction when he heard everything. I'm thinking property damage, followed by some Crown Royal and a "Serenity Now!" or two. Obviously, the GM is tied to Kessel, but, Burke's been unwavering in his support. Meanwhile, Kessel's well aware that the GM is stubbornly supporting the beleaguered head coach, just as much as the GM is stubbornly supporting him. The last thing Burke needed was this five-alarm headache.

It's OK to dislike your coach, but Kessel should've thought about his GM.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Almost went to the game last night. Nassau Coliseum is right next to the client I was visiting yesterday, so I considered it for a sec, but then remembered that it was the fuckin' Leafs playing the pathetic Islanders. I partied in Manhattan instead.