Jambands.ca

White Stripes announce split

deranger

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/02/02/the-white-stripes-announce-split/

from the post....

Remember back in, like, 2001, when all these bands with “The†in their name broke onto the scene and everyone was really excited about the return of good rock music or whatever? We remember that time rather fondly, which is why today’s news that brother-sister ex-husband/wife duo The White Stripes are no more makes us very sad. There’s still a new Strokes album coming out this year, right?

According to a bulletin posted on the band’s official website, Jack and Meg aren’t sick or fighting or anything like that — they just want to end on a high note: “[The breakup] is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.†The notice on the website also promises that live and previously unreleased material will be released under Jack White’s Third Man Records imprint.

The silver lining, of course, is that now we can all look forward to the reunion gig at Coachella 2015.

This feels like a kick in the gut, and repeat. One of my top bands ever. I love The Dead Weather and like the Raconteurs, but the Stripes are one of the best and innovative rock bands of their era. Thanks for all the fresh, exciting and devolved takes on rock, blues and folk.

I truly never understood the hype around The White Stripes. I tried time and time again to get into their music and I never could. When playing in The White Stripes, I think Jack White's skills as a guitar player are completely overrated. That being said, I do enjoy The Raconteurs and I dig Jack's voice. On the whole though, I think they were way way way over hyped.

I truly never understood the hype around The White Stripes. I tried time and time again to get into their music and I never could. When playing in The White Stripes, I think Jack White's skills as a guitar player are completely overrated. That being said, I do enjoy The Raconteurs and I dig Jack's voice. On the whole though, I think they were way way way over hyped.

There you go. You like the power-pop/classic rock sides of Jack.

The Stripes were a breath of fresh air. Raw, primal and uncompromising, but with keen songwriting chops and the ability to produce thoughtful folk tunes too. Jack is an emotional and aggressive blues-based lead and rhythm guitarist, much more in the mold of old-school garage rockers, punk and Delta blues. He also doesn't care about perfection and goes for it on every song, which is a pretty thrilling ride.

I truly never understood the hype around The White Stripes. I tried time and time again to get into their music and I never could. When playing in The White Stripes' date=' I think Jack White's skills as a guitar player are completely overrated. That being said, I do enjoy The Raconteurs and I dig Jack's voice. On the whole though, I think they were way way way over hyped. [/quote']

There you go. You like the power-pop/classic rock sides of Jack.

The Stripes were a breath of fresh air. Raw, primal and uncompromising, but with keen songwriting chops and the ability to produce thoughtful folk tunes too. Jack is an emotional and aggressive blues-based lead and rhythm guitarist, much more in the mold of old-school garage rockers, punk and Delta blues. He also doesn't care about perfection and goes for it on every song, which is a pretty thrilling ride.

At first I thought there was far too much smoke being blown up Jack Whites ass than deserved. But the fact the White Stripes are considered mainstream says a lot about how every once in awhile, popular music can have a shit load of integrity and get it right.

His output is ridiculous and although I don't love the Stripes the man is undeniably a huge talent and will be listened to for decades.

White is more of a Muddy Waters meets Jimmy Page mix, with Troggs/Blue Cheer garage. Dan from the Keys is even more bluesy, but less accomplished (but oddly, more polished). I love those bands and we are all lucky to have them producing records and touring in our lifetime - and if ou haven't done it yet, get out and see the Keys before they inevitably implode.

Meg's drumming was perfect for the Stripes.

Exactly.

Ringo would suck in other bands - he was perfect for the Beatles. A good analogy I think.

Well to each their own to be sure, but I disagree. I don't give a shit about chops or how flashy a drummer is, as long as they can keep time. In my opinion, she has bad time and I can't get past it. Even on some studio tracks.

When I saw them live, there sure were a lot of guys captivated by her.....moves.

Meg's drumming was perfect for the Stripes.

Exactly.

Ringo would suck in other bands - he was perfect for the Beatles. A good analogy I think.

Well to each their own to be sure' date=' but I disagree. I don't give a shit about chops or how flashy a drummer is, as long as they can keep time. In my opinion, she has bad time and I can't get past it. Even on some studio tracks.

When I saw them live, there sure were a lot of guys captivated by her.....moves.[/quote']

Do you think the Stripes would be the same without Meg inspiring Jack to write the songs? Almost all the songs were in some part inspired by Meg and/or their relationship. Sub in Terry Bozio for Meg and you get a whole lot of shit. Anyway, Meg played a lot like what I hear in early Muddy Waters records, plus her drums acted more as a bass guitar.

I also assumed they had been broken up for years. It has been great to hear jack white play in some other projects that don't suffer from shitty drum timing

the drum argument may be tired, but to all of you who clearly have no sense of musical time yourselves (i.e. those who love meg's drumming), don't take it out on those of us who do, you are welcome to your wrong opinion