Jambands.ca

books hippies should read

SmellyPants

Here are a few books (That arn't band bios) all hippie like creatures might like to read.Please add to the list for my own (and others) reading pleasure.

1.Dharma Bums, Jack Kerouac

2.On the road again, Jack Kerouac

3.Junky, William S Burrows

4.Fear and loathing in Las Vegas,Hunter S Thompson

5.The Rum Diarys, Hunter S Thompson

6.The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way Of Knowledge, Carlos Castaneda

7.The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff

8.Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

9.Cosmopolitan Greetings, Allen Ginsberg

10.Tropic of Cancer, Henry Miller

11.Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M.Pirsig

Just a few of my favorites.

Good reading

those are some great feeds on books

lots i havent read and some ive never heard of.

One thing I would like to clear though, I should not have said should read thats a little forcefull. I guess I meant

might read.

By the way MoMack, yes I do own a book store. [Eek!]

A very small town book store but I enjoy it.All the books I can eat.

My ma owned a bookstore when I was young. Erosion books and Graphics. Art and books. Crazy place. My first introduction to the "scene". She had a good dead etc. section, and all the local hippies hung out there reading books. No bestsellers section in her store... guess thats why it didn't last to long. That and hippies tend to hang out and read instead of buying. But it was a magical place, and allowed me to meet folks that brought me to Dead shows when I was way way to young to be there. Thank Jerry for that!

So where is your store?

In a semi-SF-ish vein:

• Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany is a seriously heavy read. Its editor, Frederik Pohl, introduced it at a book company gathering by saying, "I'm not sure this is a good book, but I am sure it's a great book."
  • Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon is an even heavier read. A full examination of this book would be longer than the book itself. You could base whole literature courses on it.
  • Illuminatus! by Robert Shea and Robert Anson Wilson is not as heavy, and tons of fun. If you like conspiracy theories, alternate realities, and stories about really good hash, this is the book for you.

Aloha,

Brad

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse is my bible.

Have read it a zillion times and can never get enough of it. Everytime I read it, it explains something different to me, takes on new meaning and makes me find new meaning in things around me.

Originally posted by SmellyPants:

2.On the road again, Jack Kerouac

Possibly the least interesting, most over-rated book ever. *Yawn* [Roll Eyes]

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

All Tom Robbins books, in particular I'd say:

Another Roadside Attraction

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

Now, that I can agree with!!

I would also recommend "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera and "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

And "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.

Lets see...

All Tom Robbins books, in particular I'd say:

Another Roadside Attraction

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

Other non-Robbins books:

The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe (this is a must read for all dead fans)

The Stranger, Albert Camus

The Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

Hmmm... that's all I can think of right now. Great thread though, I'm always looking for more of these types of books to read!

earthfreak recommended Zen & TAOMM to me just the other day [Cool]

i'm still thick into The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe [Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

it is cool reading about Mountain Girl and others I had the pleasure of meeting through DSO [big Grin]

my speed reading technique should have me on to Zen by late April I figure

oh yeah

I once read a book called "What the Trees Said"

Unfortunately, I can't remember who wrote it [Frown]

I borrowed it off Leah, Smelly

it was set in New England, on a hippie commune.

The brothers and sisters on the farm would all dose together, and the dude who wrote the book would go out into the forest and talk to the trees [Cool]

Van Morrison lived on a sister commune close by and would come over for these trip parties.

I think it was written in 68/69

i remember loving it at the time (1990) and would really dig finding a copy...find it for your bookstore smelly!!!

"The Food of the Gods" by Terrence McKenna

"Kingdom of Fear" by H.S.T.

"Celestine Prophecy", "The Tenth Insight", "The Secret of Shambhala" and "The Celestine Vision" by James Redfield

also, a book called "Pooh and the Philosophers", I can't remember who wrote it, and I'll throw "The Te of Piglet" on there as well...

Another good one (also SF) is A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick.

Dick's stories often deal with questions of what's real vs. what's imagined, and he often writes his characters such that you get the feeling they're not quite right. Dick can write a story from the first person, with said first person having a nervous breakdown (or psychotic episode) and take you along for the ride.

In this book, the main character is an undercover narcotics cop. The problem is that, in this (future) society, the police department is so corrupt that if even his superiors were to know the identity he's assumed, he'd be dead for sure.

Thus, when he reports to superiors, he does it in a "scramble suit" which makes his identity unknowable (think TV test-pattern). Of course, there's a problem: he's reporting on the illegal activities of the group he's infiltrated; the group's members (including the identity he's assumed) are known, so he has to report on himself. If he didn't, there'd be one group member that wasn't reported on, which would be a sure signal as to who's the cop.

The other problem is that the drug used & sold by this group (which his assumed identity takes in mass quantities) splits your personality two-for-one...

Aloha,

Brad

The Clouded Leopard - Wade Davis

The Expirence Of Nothingness - Micheal Novak

The Universe is a green dragon -???( I ferget,my ex has the book)

How to grow magic mushrooms

Hydroponic maintence and up keep

From seed to Montreal

Growers guide

Yoga for dummies

Hash for me, hash for you

Pottable herbs and veggies

Deadbase

Livin with the Dead

How to roll joints

Dancing

Here today,guano tomorrow

Kool aid

Two that have been mentioned already:

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

In particular the Marquez book was fascinating as long as you can withstand the excessive historical context of the story. And isn't "The Alchemist" by Paulo Cielho? I've had that around but can't get too far into it without getting kind of bored.

margaret atwood's new books are both great. one is a kids book called rude ramsey and the roaring radishes but for a really good read try oryx and crake. it's post apocalyptic sci-fi satire. i't extremely poignant and relevant to many of the issues the "heady types" stand for. if anyone wants to take me to chapters one day i'll share my employee discount with you and we can damn the man for putting most of the independant bookstores out of business!

Originally posted by Sheikyerbouti:

On The Road Again? tell me that's a typo...Kerouac didn't do a sequel to On The Road, did he?

Ha-ha, no you're right - that's a typo for sure. Must be "Grateful-Dead-on-yer-mind syndrome". It's a killer.

As for the book itself, I agree that it would have been inspirational given the era that it was written in, and it certainly has been influential. I just didn't like it very much. I found Dean Moriarty to be exactly the kind of person I wouldn't have wanted to spend time with. Seems like he had ADHD. Of course, my unfavourable opinion of him only reinforces the fact that it's a well-written book (poorly-written books do not inspire emotions regarding the characters), but I just didn't find the overall story to be very interesting. I'm glad that I read it, though...

Originally posted by cutegeek:

margaret atwood's new books are both great...

I haven't read her latest stuff, but I am a big Atwood fan. I recommend "The Edible Woman" for those who are looking for a place to start.

Another Canadian author worth reading is Timothy Findley. "Not Wanted On the Voyage" is a masterpiece, and "Headhunter" (in which the protagonist accidentally releases Kurtz from the pages of "Heart of Darkness" to wreak havoc on Toronto) is a real trip, too.

Originally posted by hamilton:

Originally posted by SmellyPants:

[qb]2.On the road again, Jack Kerouac

Possibly the least interesting, most over-rated book ever. *Yawn* [Roll Eyes]

Even though i agree the book is(now) over rated, I can't see how you think it is boring.When you look at the period it was writen, it was an insperation to many who were looking for an alternative life style.This is a book that I personally enjoyed because it was recomended by my hippie like father.I think your point is good though. Peoples taste (praise ja)are as different as snow flakes in a blizzard.

Archived