Jambands.ca

Prince @ Metropolis

Velvet

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

I went last night 4 hours of pure eargasms!!!!!!!!

He was awesome, and worth every single penny on the ticket price. If you dont have tickets, there is always people outside selling them. Its definitely worth it to go. Ive seen alot of people but this by far was the best show ive ever been to.

From prince.org

When I Lay My Hands On U

Crimson And Clover

Foxy Lady

Waiting In Vain

Peach

Controversy

Pass The Peas (with Maceo Parker)

Everyday People

Let's Go Crazy/Delirious

Little Red Corvette

Musicology (Incl. Tighten Up Interpolation)/Prince And The Band

Play That Funky Music

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (with Maceo Parker)

Purple Rain (Guitar and Piano only)

Raspberry Beret

Cream (Incl. For Love Interpolation)

Cool (Incl. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough Interpolation)

Love we make

Dmsr

Pop life

NPG jazz interlude

Musicology with Tighten up, and bass solo finishing with a little America.

Song from back-up singer

Shelby Tate "misty blue"

Controversy

Freak out

Which way is up Shelby

Play That funky music

-------

Take me with you

Need Another lover

Dr feelgood guitar solo

Shhhhh

Nothing compares 2 U

Joy in repitition

-------

Pass the peas

What have you done for me lately

Partyman

It ain't over

-------

The bird

Jungle love

I like funky music

Love bizarre

Kiss

-------

Purple rain

I now laugh at my past self for thinking I had seen some funk in concert. Not.A.Fucking.Chance.Bud. That was one of my alltime favorite shows. If I wasnt laughing at the absurdity of Prince or Maceo entering each solo with the most perfect notes, I was smiling at the jawdropping music so easily flowing from the stage to my ears. I felt that show deep within my bones. They massaged my soul and I havent danced that hard in a decade. Sure feel it today.

Loved that they played Partyman. Someone in the band must have seen what I was wearing and it was a killer version. And did you know Prince plays a meanass funk bass? Not too mention Jungle Love and The Bird? Forget about that shit!!!!!

(language is nsfw)

Prince

At Métropolis Concert Hall

Festival International de Jazz de Montréal

In Montreal on Friday

Any way you cut it, the mighty Prince’s concert at Métropolis on Friday night will be remembered for ages as a monumental event in the annals of the international jazz festival. As a colleague at the online newspaper Rue Frontenac put it, years from now, if you were one of the lucky 2,000 to have been in the hall, you’ll proudly say, “Yeah, I was there.â€

To proclaim the concert awesome is simply to state the truth.

And it’s not just because the concert became a marathon. After saying good night at the close of a very hot 80-minute set – a totally respectable offering – he and the band gave half a dozen encores, not letting up until close to 3:30 a.m. He did warn the audience, though. Some 20 minutes into the first encore – while asking “Is this the funkiest band in the world?†and “Is this the funkiest town?†– he told folks “this Prince isn’t going anywhere†and “we’re all staying around.†Who knew he meant it literally?

It was clear within minutes that Prince and the band felt a rapport with the audience. Why not? You could tell right off that people were thrilled to be so close to the man they adore.

The venue was part of the equation. Métropolis has a capacity of 2,300. “Intimate†might be a stretch, but it’s certainly not an arena and it has a funky ambience with a storied past. It had been a theatre before it became movie hall in the 1920s. It’s a place where you can party – and party people did.

The other key element, part of Prince’s genius, is pulling together a stunning array of musicians. The fullness of their artistry, and the generosity and intensity each performer brought to the stage and to each other, was infectious.

The concert began at 11:30 p.m. sharp with a thumping drum and bass funk rhythm leading us into a collage of Prince originals and stunning covers.

To imagine the epic reading of Tommy James and the Shondells’ Crimson and Clover that somehow wove Jimi Hendrix guitar riffs into the mix and evolved to guitarist and singer Andy Allo’s take on Bob Marley’s Waiting in Vain – well, there’s a fiercely brilliant exploration of the music of our time.

Then there’s Maceo Parker. The renowned soul and funk saxophonist would pull you into whirling improvisations with Danish bassist Ida Nielsen laying a pulsating groove behind him. His segue into the James Brown classic Pass the Peas during the first encore was sublime.

The virtuosity of drummer John Blackwell, who has backed Patti Labelle and P. Diddy but is perhaps best known for his work with Maze, framed complex rhythm shifts with superbly modulated punctuation.

Morris Hayes and Cassandra O’Neal were on keyboards. Hayes’s pedigree as a musician and composer is vast and O’Neal, a relative newcomer to Prince’s New Power Generation, brought her rich voice into the vocal mix.

While Prince might have used back-up singers in the past, Olivia Warfield and Shelby Johnson were principals, front and centre. Both have stunning control and that resonant gospel/blues range.

Prince was clearly the bandleader, the creative driver, but he brought to the Métropolis a formidable array of talent that grooved along with some of the most amazingly purposeful improvisation likely to be played here, or anywhere. As the song goes, I get delirious whenever you’re near. This time, for sure.

The Festival International de Jazz de Montréal continues through July 4th.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/music/princes-genius-in-full-form-at-montreal-show/article2076196/print/

Let me tell you, that was the BEST dance party I have ever been to in my life (by a long shot!) Everybody was soaking wet with sweat (gross but facking awesome!), even my hair was sweating! It looked like we had all gone swimming.

Prince is amazing. Every second the show was like a drug that kept people going and going until the wee hours of morning, and even when it was really over, people still stayed, willing him to return and chanting for a good 20 minutes before filing into the street.

AMAZING!!!!!! I'll remember it forever.

That was a truly epic concert. Worth every penny.

The dancing never stopped, the crowd was pumped and rapturous, Prince was brilliant and so was the band.

At one point Prince grabbed the bass and played a ten minute solo. The guy just oozes musicality.

It was surprisingly roomy at the back and the forays to the front were fun. What a show.

Thanks for the heads up Booche.

Everybody was soaking wet with sweat (gross but facking awesome!), even my hair was sweating! It looked like we had all gone swimming.

Ah man...yeah that reminds me of many shows I've been to in the 90s where we'd come out of the venue looking like we'd been to hell and back! Shower required after the show!

Mike, time for you to practice your French reading skills. Review in La Presse in two parts.

Friday's show

Saturday's show

Everybody was soaking wet with sweat (gross but facking awesome!)' date=' even my hair was sweating! It looked like we had all gone swimming.

[/quote']

Ah man...yeah that reminds me of many shows I've been to in the 90s where we'd come out of the venue looking like we'd been to hell and back! Shower required after the show!

Mike, time for you to practice your French reading skills. Review in La Presse in two parts.

Friday's show

Saturday's show

Thanks CC.

I was so happy that they busted out a couple of Time tunes. The Bird and Jungle Love. IF only he had brought Morris Day and Jerome Brown with him to do their stage schtick. That would have just been more icing on top of the icing on the heaps of icing on the cake.

I'm reasoning this is the personnel of the current incarnation of the NPG:

Maceo Parker - Saxophone(s)

Andy Allo - Guitar/ Vocals

Ida Neilson - Bass

John Blackwell - Drums

Morris Hayes - Keyboards

Cassandra O'Neill - Keyboards

Olivia Warfield - Vocals

Shelby Johnson - Vocals

I read that Maceo plays "Selmer Mark VI, (which he has had goldplated) and a Brilhart Ebolin mouthpiece 3. He uses Vandoren Java 3 and a half reeds." Is this an obvious question but does Maceo typically play Alto, Tenor, and Baritone or one dominant?

I wish I could answer for you but:

1 - I dont know very much when it comes to the sax but I recall the alto and would say it was the dominant one, if I was forced to. Please refer to Velvet, my brother or www.prince.org for a more accurate answer.

2 - I havent had my eyes closed that much at a concert since Phish on 08-12-98.

3 - I still havent wiped the glow or the shit eating grin off my face.