Jambands.ca

Colin Stetson. Huh?

Northern Wish

I had read some pretty glowing reviews of this solo saxophonists work and today I found a stream on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/21/177495625/first-listen-colin-stetson-new-history-warfare-vol-3-to-see-more-light?sc=tw&cc=twmp&refresh=true

I am at the point where a whale is being ass raped by a robot synthesizer and I have to ask: what the fuck?

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

I can't listen to his stuff. The majority of comments I've read about his music are very longwinded about his technical abilities, circular breathing, tone etc, but don't say much about composition, melody, songcraft, etc. From what I've heard it's merely technique-building drills that he recorded and put out. But, some people obviously love the album so more power to him/them.

I'm not a musician, so I can't comment on any of the aspects that you mention hearing about from others. The little material I've heard is certainly more atmospheric than song-oriented, but I can get into that kind of thing too, if that's what I'm in the mood for. Don't think I would put it on at a party or anything, though.