Jambands.ca

Bluesfest 2014

AD

That said' date=' there's more than enough potential for a great 5 day pass or if the stars align and most of the shit I want to see falls on 3 days then even better. [/quote']

There is no 5-day pass option this year. Was there last year? I think there was.

My co-worker was excited when she was me this morning. Couldn't wait to tell me she's getting the full pass this year...she's a country music fan and there are big country acts this year, according to her.

Well that's a big fat kick in the nuts, I'm going to hold it against you for being the bearer of bad news in a passive aggressive sort of way.

Bluesfest ... doing their very best to not give the patrons what they want. Honestly, I have a hard time believing they won't be giving people the multi day "you pick'em" option. It was the best "meet everyone in the middle" solution though to be fair, they crashed and burned opening day in terms of ticket distribution (ie the crappy wristband system that they're so high on was not up to snuff)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said' date=' there's more than enough potential for a great 5 day pass or if the stars align and most of the shit I want to see falls on 3 days then even better. [/quote']

There is no 5-day pass option this year. Was there last year? I think there was.

Well that's a big fat kick in the nuts, I'm going to hold it against you for being the bearer of bad news in a passive aggressive sort of way.

Well, there is a 3-day pass option for $99. For me, 5 days would have been perfect, so yes, I feel forced into buying the full pass. Good way to sell I suppose.

So I (and Freak By Night, I assume) am the only person who thinks this looks great?!?!

$20 a day, I'd have a not bad time at:

Don Felder

Traffic

Matt Anderson

Pink Mountaintops

Procol Harum w/ NACO

JJ Grey & Mofro

Gogol Bordello

Deltron 3030

Violent Femmes

DBT

Dr. Hook

Jeff Tweedy

Styx

John Mayall

Foreigner

Blondie (!)

Trombone Shorty

Gary Clark Jr.

BNL

Journey

Lady Gaga

Queens of the Stone Age

Like, c'mon now, that's not a bad pile of music for me to ride my bike to. Plus they have more to announce. Did I read somewhere that they were holding back a biggie until April? Maybe still a Beck or Boss or Neil Young to come?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all there.

And yes, Jazzfest is better, as is becoming the norm. Which is pretty awesome when you think about it.

Bluesfest by the day

Thursday, July 3

Blake Shelton, RL Grime, Tegan and Sara, Adventure Club, Gary Clark Jr., Danny Brown

Friday, July 4

Journey, Zedd, Darius Rucker, Bonobo, Jeff Tweedy, Honey Island Swamp Band

Saturday, July 5

Lady Gaga, Matt Andersen, JJ Grey and Mofro, Vintage Trouble, Andrew Bird, Black Joe Lewis, Deer Tick, Langhorne Slim

Sunday, July 6

Lady Antebellum, Violent Femmes, St. Vincent, Drive By Truckers, Mac Demarco, Shovels & Rope, Lucius, Pokey Lafarge, Shantel

​Monday, July 7

Off day

Tuesday, July 8

Queens of the Stone Age, Foreigner, STYX, Jake Bugg, Jenny Lewis, Tokyo Police Club, Gareth Emery

Wednesday, July 9

The Killers, Cypress Hill, Tyler, the Creator, Bombino, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Phantogram, Royal Canoe

Thursday, July 10

The Band Perry, Young the Giant, Blondie, John Mayall, Gogol Bordello, Procol Harum and the NAC Symphony Orchestra, Dave Mason's Traffic Jam

Friday, July 11

Barenaked Ladies, Third Eye Blind, July Talk, Ryan Hemsworth, BADBADNOTGOOD

Saturday, July 12

Snoop Dogg/Snoop Lion, AWOLNATION, Deltron 3030, Childish Gambino, Action Bronson, Dr. Hook feat. Ray Sawyer, Sugar Ray and the Bluetones, The Mavericks

Sunday, July 13

Collective Soul, Moist, Sam Roberts Band, USS, Lord Huron, Pink Mountaintops, Charli XCX

Organizers say the full festival schedule will be posted in April.

So I (and Freak By Night, I assume) am the only person who thinks this looks great?!?!

*raises hand*

Not sure where other people are coming from, I am seeing stuff every day for which I am psyched. July 10th is a particularly jammed day, I know I am going to end up missing something that day from conflict. I am running the names I don't know through google and wikimapedia and my list of acts to see keeps getting longer.

I really have no opinion on the line-up, just who I would be interested in seeing. While I certainly can't (and won't) criticize anyone for their taste or enjoyment in live music, and maybe it's just me, but I honestly can't understand what appeal anyone has towards seeing Lady Gaga with the blatant corporate shilling she is engaging in on her current tour. Her SXSW show has been criticized by many as the beginning of the end of SXSW - I just fear it's going carry on into Ottawa.

Yes- the headliners are pretty vomitous bunch.

Journey really gets this kind of billing? I thought they were on the mid west county fair cicuit?

That said, there are some treats, hopefully playing decent small stage heady time slots.. I'm lookin at you Deltron 3030, Pink Mountaintops, Bonobo, Jeff Tweedy, St. Vincent, Jenny Lewis..

Lady Gaga with the blatant corporate shilling she is engaging in on her current tour. Her SXSW show has been criticized by many as the beginning of the end of SXSW - I just fear it's going carry on into Ottawa.

could you elaborate? i'm not sure what you are referring to. i googled her and found some stuff about her having someone puke on her at the sxsw show. haven't decided whether i will see her but if i'm town probably will.

My co-worker was excited when she was me this morning. Couldn't wait to tell me she's getting the full pass this year...she's a country music fan and there are big country acts this year, according to her.

Starting Thursday, March 27 at 10:00 am (EDT) until Friday, March 28 at midnight, the Early Bird sale will include Full Festival Wristbands, Youth Full Festival Wristbands and Pick 3 dates Wristbands. Starting on Saturday, March 29 at 10:00 am (EDT), the general on-sale will include the three ticket types available during the early bird sale, as well as Pick 5 dates Wristbands, Day Passes, Metropolitain Gold Circle passes and wristbands, Empire Grill Clubhouse passes and wristbands. Subject to availability, and prices will be released on Saturday.

$20 a day, I'd have a not bad time at:

Don Felder

Traffic

Matt Anderson

Pink Mountaintops

Procol Harum w/ NACO

JJ Grey & Mofro

Gogol Bordello

Deltron 3030

Violent Femmes

DBT

Dr. Hook

Jeff Tweedy

Styx

John Mayall

Foreigner

Blondie (!)

Trombone Shorty

Gary Clark Jr.

BNL

Journey

Lady Gaga

Queens of the Stone Age

Like, c'mon now, that's not a bad pile of music for me to ride my bike to. Plus they have more to announce. Did I read somewhere that they were holding back a biggie until April? Maybe still a Beck or Boss or Neil Young to come?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all there.

And yes, Jazzfest is better, as is becoming the norm. Which is pretty awesome when you think about it.

Well, FBN is an amazing human being filled with optimism to spare and you're a cheesedick. I'm not surprised.

Where's the $100 act that we pay 40 bones for because of the economy of scale? Where's the god damn reggae act that we drink way too much at and stumble around? It's just not the festival it once was in terms of "I can't believe I have to decide which stage to be at", a victim of their own success.

They missed out on Neutral Milk Hotel, Beck and White Denim (I chose these acts because they show that Bluesfest is missing on multiple levels of stature), they would have been all over these bookings 4 or 5 years ago.

It's not a disaster by any means but it's not amazing either. It's kind of average and that's including the fact smaller stage/worse time slot acts are buoying a lack luster head lining offering.

Also, I'm going to destroy you in poker on Friday and claim that it was the gods vindicating my opinion (and you're not a cheesedick, your opinion is just as valid as mine even though it's obviously wrong, I'm just being a prick)

On a side note, I read St Vincent as St Germain, I'll be glad to see her again because her and David Byrne killed it at jazzfest last year but nonetheless I thought I was getting mangled one night.

Ah, I'm not that pumped about it. The lineup is not bad, but not great. Still, there are many acts I'm interested in seeing this year. I will go most nights. I'll be in Saratoga Springs for Phish shows during the first part of the bluesfest.

Buried deep in the line-up announcement was Goddo, a power trio rock band that played at my high school way back before many of you were born! Goddo was my favourite band for a while when I was 14.

Starting Thursday, March 27 at 10:00 am (EDT) until Friday, March 28 at midnight, the Early Bird sale will include Full Festival Wristbands, Youth Full Festival Wristbands and Pick 3 dates Wristbands. Starting on Saturday, March 29 at 10:00 am (EDT), the general on-sale will include the three ticket types available during the early bird sale, as well as Pick 5 dates Wristbands, Day Passes, Metropolitain Gold Circle passes and wristbands, Empire Grill Clubhouse passes and wristbands. Subject to availability, and prices will be released on Saturday.

Good stuff, the pick 5 was a nice touch last year, glad they stuck with it.

So I (and Freak By Night' date=' I assume) am the only person who thinks this looks great?!?!

[/quote']

Ah, I'm not that pumped about it. The lineup is not bad, but not great. Still, there are many acts I'm interested in seeing this year. I will go most nights. I'll be in Saratoga Springs for Phish shows during the first part of the bluesfest.

Buried deep in the line-up announcement was Goddo, a power trio rock band that played at my high school way back before many of you were born! Goddo was my favourite band for a while when I was 14.

I didn't see Greg Godovitz in there!

Anyone think the past problems with Ottawa Country festivals are leading to high profile Country artists coming to Bluesfest? Blake Shelton, The Band Perry, Lady Antebellum, Darius Rucker .

And I get to check off my bucket list getting to see one of my all time favorite male singers, Gary Brooker with Procol Harum & The NAC Orchestra. I wonder if they will play Conquistador?

Ah ok, thanks Phorbesie! I didn't see anything about the Pick 5 on the main ad and I didn't bother looking any further.

Why is the Pick 3 listed on the ad with an Early Bird price of $99 and same price after Early Bird? Weird.

How much is the Pick 5? I guess it depends which days we pick? I'd like to know that before the Early Bird sale ends so I can figure out what to buy.

I'm relying on you to find that info for me. :content:

Freaker's wish list is basically the Osheaga lineup.

Oh it's not my wish list just a quick list I culled from TURF, Osheaga, Lolla etc...To show the number of great, relevant acts that are out there this year, heavily touring summer festivals.

My wish list is this festival - http://shakykneesfestival.com/

Stupid Atlanta and their stupid awesome festival

Starting Thursday' date=' March 27 at 10:00 am (EDT) until Friday, March 28 at midnight, the Early Bird sale will include Full Festival Wristbands, Youth Full Festival Wristbands and Pick 3 dates Wristbands. Starting on Saturday, March 29 at 10:00 am (EDT), the general on-sale will include the three ticket types available during the early bird sale, as well as Pick 5 dates Wristbands, Day Passes, Metropolitain Gold Circle passes and wristbands, Empire Grill Clubhouse passes and wristbands. Subject to availability, and prices will be released on Saturday.

[/quote']

Ah ok, thanks Phorbesie! I didn't see anything about the Pick 5 on the main ad and I didn't bother looking any further.

Why is the Pick 3 listed on the ad with an Early Bird price of $99 and same price after Early Bird? Weird.

How much is the Pick 5? I guess it depends which days we pick? I'd like to know that before the Early Bird sale ends so I can figure out what to buy.

I'm relying on you to find that info for me. :content:

Oops, ok, I read more carefully, and looks like prices will only be released on Saturday for the Pick 5. Well, that sucks.