Jambands.ca

Best new album of the year 2003...

elemeno

quote:

Originally posted by Esau:

I'm not sure if any is avaiable in stores 'round here,I know ya can order off the Slip's website.

I was just checking this out.. From the looks of it, it will cost a LOT

$13US for Angels Come On Time

$18.50US for delivery to Canada.

-- I'm pretty sure this doesn't include the price of cd, cuz above it you can select USPS and it says $4.85. So I'm thinking if they don't include the price of the product in the us delivery option (under Delivery Method box) then why would they include it in the Canada option?

So if this is correct, it would cost us $41.19 Canadian to order a cd!! Guess I'll be waiting til I see them live..

From beginning to end, the best album I've heard this year is:

Elephant - The White Stripes

Runners Up:

It Still Moves - My Morning Jacket

Unclassified - Robert Randolph

Soul Serenade - Derek Trucks Band

Best reissue:

Marquee Moon - Television ( this masterpiece got even better )

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

whats the best way to pick up The Slip in Canada (Hamilton)?

does it have to be ordered in?

Dr. Disc had a couple of copies of their album on Rykodisc for months and months. I noticed they had the Robert Randolph CD today used for $12. They always have great finds in their used bins.

Since the Slip are on Ryko, through Outside or Warner depending on the title, you can order their albums through Cheapies, Dr Disc or HMV. I'd suggest doing it through one of the first two though - HMV are terrible at dispatching special orders.

Here's my top 10 albums for 2003, none of which have been mentioned by anyone else yet I don' think:

01 Outrageous Cherry - Supernatural Equinox (Rainbow Quartz)

02 Bardo Pond - On The Ellipse (ATP Recordings)

03 Rory Gallagher - Wheels Within Wheels (BMG Heritage)

04 Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib (Matador)

05 Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power (XL/Beggars)

06 The Wrens - Meadowlands (Absolutely Kosher)

07 Manitoba - Up In Flames (Domino)

08 Cursed - One (Deathwish)

09 The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (Sub Pop)

10 Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland (Rykodisc)

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Best reissue:

You can't improve on perfection! Having said that, On The Beach by Neil Young is even better. Canadian reissue CD of the year for me is Simply Saucer's Cyborgs Revisited.

quote:

Originally posted by SPalmer:

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Best reissue:

You can't improve on perfection! Having said that, On The Beach by Neil Young is even better. Canadian reissue CD of the year for me is Simply Saucer's Cyborgs Revisited.

Actually, with the inclusion of Television's great studio version of " Little Johnny Jewel " and an alternate take of the sonic title track makes this reissue better than the original.

I like Cyborg's Revisited too, even though it's a little uneven. Still, it's an essential album.

Best new bluegrass album of the year:

Gotta Travel On - An Intro. To Bill Monroe

I got this for x-mas, it's so good. Covers the career of the father of bluegrass. Nice mix of studio and live stuff. I don't listen to many studio albums, but this has been getting serious play here lately.

it took me a long time, but only after listening to it stoned out of my mind on a blaring sytem did i fall in love with it

hail to the thief - radiohead

but that probably wouldn't be my pick for best . .. i cant realy pick one

damien rice - o

outkast - the love below

abb - hittin the note

ahhh i cant think of any more off hand . . .

Guest Low Roller

I can respect the Greendale votes, Outkast was freakishly huge this year as well, but Elephant by The White Stripes was, top to finish, fantastic.

It's blues, it's metal, it's Nirvana, it's Led Zeppelin.

Get it. Love it. Thank me.

'Unclassified' is also great, but there's always this one track I absolutely HAVE to skip. 'It Still Moves' is about twenty minutes too long.

And where the fuck are the other 'Hail To The Thief' votes?

Yeah Phish Stick, it took me a while to get used to Hail To The Thief as well. But after the Radiohead show in Montreal, that quickly changed. I think the show broke my brain.

Hail to the Theif is great...I'm jealous about that Montreal show. Chris Clark "Empty the Bones of You" is really good. The new Do Make Say Think is quite excellent too. (Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn) Also David Byrne's Thrill Jockey release is a major highlight of 2003 for me. It is called Lead us not into Temptation. Damn I looove getting new cd's!

Archived