Jambands.ca

Discussion Topic(s) of the Day

Ms.Huxtable

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

If it had to be one or the other, would you prefer a society of science but no art, or of art but no science?

Would you advise your child to study art or science?

Talk amongst yourselves.
[Wink]

The first question is tough. I'm compelled to choose a society with art and no science but I'm concerned about the prominence of religion in that scenario, something a science-only society could take care of dismissing quite nicely. Still, that metaphysical spookiness feeds great art, and art is fundamental to the human psyche, and it just touches me deeper, so I would go for a world of art with no science.

But I wouldn't wish that choice on any culture.

As for the second question, I'd encourage my kids to pursue artistic endeavours. Rather, they should pursue whatever interests them, but I certainly wouldn't *discourage* them from pursuing art. The world needs more art. I fear it's a fading concept in modern culture. Of course, it can never die, but it doesn't seem as central to our culture as I think it may have been in times gone by.

Music is love.

Geez Ms. H, you're a bit philosophical for so early in the morning!

Personally, I don't think one can exist without the other. Human nature demands the evolution of both science and art in our daily lives. If one or the other were removed...humanity would shrivel up like a raisin!

Geez craig. I was trying to find a way to say just that.

Science and Art are intertwined in many ways.

So, I guess if there was no science and there was only art, you would not have music, fractals, paint, photography, cooking techniques (marinating pork tenderloin is pretty scientific ya know)...etc.

Guest Low Roller

No discussion on art vs. society is complete without an in-depth look at the functions of our human brain. Each side of the brain has its own unique and special abilities. The right side of the brain is intuitive, while the left side of the brain is logical.

Right side processes:

Creativity

Patterns

Spatial Awareness

Context

It Recognizes:

Faces

Places

Objects

Left side processes:

Speech

Analysis

Time

Sequence

It Recognizes:

Letters

Numbers

Words

It has been proven that the size of the halves tends to vary. A person with a larger right side is more inclined towards art, and a person with a larger left side is inclined to be more focused on sciences. Barring any ailments or strokes, the human mind is capable of processing both. Therefore Kitari and Craig are right that art and science have a symbiotic relation with one another and combine to form a whole.

Art vs Science

There were once two people travelling on a train, a scientist and a poet, who were riding in the same compartment. They had never met before, so naturally, there wasn't much conversation between the two. The poet was minding his own business, looking out the window at the beauty of the passing terrain. The scientist was very uptight, trying to think of things he didn't know so he could try to figure them out. Finally, the scientist was so bored, that he said to the poet, "Hey, do you want to play a game?" The poet, being content with what he was doing, ignored him and continued looking out the window, humming quietly to himself. This infuriated the scientist, who irritably asked again, "Hey, you, do you want to play a game? I'll ask you a question, and if you get it wrong, you give me $5. Then, YOU ask ME a question, and if I can't answer it, I'll give YOU $5." The poet thought about this for a moment, but he decided against it, seeing that the scientist was obviously a very bright man. He politely turned down the scientist's offer. The scientist, who, by this time was going mad, tried a final time. "Look, I'll ask you a question, and if you can't answer it, you give me $5. Then you ask ME a question, and if I can't answer it, I'll give you $50!" Now, the poet was not that smart academically, but he wasn't totally stupid. He readily accepted the offer. "Okay," the scientist said, "what is the EXACT distance between the Earth and the Moon?" The poet, obviously not knowing the answer, didn't stop to think about the scientist's question. He took a $5 bill out of his pocket and handed it to the scientist. The scientist happily accepted the bill and promptly said, "Okay, now it's your turn." The poet thought about this for a few minutes, then asked, "Alright, what goes up a mountain on three legs, but comes down on four?" The bright glow quickly vanished from the scientist's face. He thought about this for a long time, taking out his notepad and making numerous calculations. He finally gave up on his notepad and took out his laptop, using his Multimedia Encyclopedia. After about an hour of this, the poet quietly watching the mountains of Colorado go by the whole time, the scientist FINALLY gave up. He reluctantly handed the poet a $50 bill. The poet accepted it graciously, turning back to the window. "Wait!" the scientist shouted. "You can't do this to me! What's the answer??" The poet looked at the scientist and calmly put a $5 bill into his hand.

I would live in the land of art before science, but I would like to be able to visit the land of science from time to time...

and I will advise my children to study what they have the strongest vocation and interest in... art, science, politics, history, foreign cuisine... whatever is natural to them...

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

Would you advise your child to study art or science?

The entire world, I think, would be a better off if I didn't try to populate it with my offspring. A litter of little Brians and Briannes running around is the stuff nightmares are made of - both my nightmares, and yours!

But, if I was unfortunate enough to have a child (not to mention if it was unfortunate enough to have me as a parent), I would encourage the little urchin to study whatever it was most interested in. Education is an end unto itself, not just a means to an end - a fact that many people today often seem not to understand.

Brian

i agree kitari, one doesn't exist without the other and creativity can be applied to both...we search for understanding and a more fruitful survival through both art and science.

i think that in some cases what one person might call 'Art', could be construed as 'Science' from a different perspective. for example music is very mathematical and good songs are chock-full of well rounded 'equations'

perhaps the same could be said for visual art...

Archived