Jambands.ca

Damn guitar sadness....

AdamH

I had my eye on this guitar from songbird:

-

Brand new, it lists at 859 but street she retails for about 700 or so. Steve's had it for 650. Lauzon, being such a fine gent, had it for 625. BUT, the one at songbird was 499, in perfect condition, two years old, with aftermarket Seymour Duncan's and I wanted it so FUCKIN bad.

I'll probably end up getting it at Lauzon's just becaus I like that place better but it will inevitably come down to price. The folklore centre doesn't have it but can order it, only it won't cost even close to what Steve's is offering.

Have I got a story for you Brad!

I went into retrotown and looked at that guitar you speak of (aptly named "The Dot" because of the pearl dot markers)

That one is considerably less when buying new, For instance the Folklore Centre was going to said they'd order it in and sell it to me for 499 + tax. The guy in retrotown was selling that SAME USED one for 699. There's quite difference in the models...the dot has silver generic hardware vs. "gibson made" gold hardware. The pearl inlays are lame-o dots, and the tuners are generic instead of "grover style".

Long story short this guy didn't even know what guitar he was selling. He couldn't tell me what year it was. He didn't know the difference between models and essentially left me with a bad taste. I hadn't heard of retrotown before but my roommate suggested it. I will not go back again.

hey,

The guitar you're talking about (the dot) is a scaled down version of the Sheraton II. We sell the dot for $489.00 brand new and set up by our guitar tech. The sheraton is a nicer guitar in my opinion. Of all the ones I've played I find it has a smoother feeling fingerboard. I know its not actually the fingerboard but more likely the frets. I've found that the dot feels scratchy when bending notes.

the guys at retrotown are good guys but I've seen this type of thing before where a used epiphone is selling for more than a brand new one.

dave-0,

actually they've changed a few things lately with regards to the tuners and pickups. (no doubt the seymour duncan pickups are better)

They've redisigned their pickups and now they're wax potted. This stops them from that uncontrolled horrid sounding squeal that would sometimes pop up at higher volumes. They've also gone to Grover tuners on most guitars (including the ones mentioned here).

Ha...all that criticism of Nero and I still gave Dave my Credit Card [smile]

I'm getting it from Lauzon because the guys in Steve's just couldn't tell me what I wanted to hear. Thanks for everyone's advice, in the end it was about customer service and reputation versus a small savings. Oh, and they're whammy heads in steve's.

sometimes, I find myself at the Loblaws across from Steve's and I realize that I need some strings. I usually pick them up at Lauzon's, but when I'm in the neighbourhood on Rideau, I pop in there.

It's ALWAYS A BLOODY CIRCUS! Trying to navigate around all of the newbies with their daddy's credit card buying marshall stacks, the whammy-bar head guys running around with their 'backstage pass' name tags can drive you nutz when all you want are some strings.

Congrats on the purchase ahess! Keep the money flowing to Lauzon's. It helps them keep hiend shit in stock [Wink]

I wonder if that Phishy Taylor is still on the wall?

Nice purchase.

And I'm glad to hear that Epiphone has made some upgrades. Granted, it was 10 years ago that I bought an Epiphone and immediately installed Spurzels and PRS pick-ups.

Steve's may be a circus, but I'm still waiting to be proved wrong for thinking that Kevin is the best guitar set-up guy in this town... [Wink]

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier, my friend is selling his Sheraton for $350, with case.

Congrats. The Sheraton has always been my second favourite Epiphone, next to the Joe Pass model. But that's only because the Joe Pass doesn't have a pickup selector switch. Buttons freak me out. I've taken them off my Tele.

Anyway, good one, and good on ya for not buying at Steve's.

Geez I can be a real asshole, can't I? I'm kidding about having a friend selling a Sheraton for $350.

He's actually selling it for three hundred.

Hey, take it is easy boys....Steve is my uncle.

JJ - but I did love sitting after work for three works trying every bass ten times and having no one bug me at all.

I ended up buying my bass there cause they are the only ESP dealers in Canada and I fell in love with my LTD bass.

But down with Whammy Heads and pop/rock underlings.

Archived