Jambands.ca

OTTAWA BLUESFEST!!

bouche

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i heard something about a secure monitored bike lock-up in confederation park for bluesfest patrons.... maybe people that still have their bikes could look out for this next time, or shed some light on whether i'm crazy or not...

ya, the lot is just before you get to the main entrance. ie if you're leaving the main stage headed for the canal, hang a left and it's right there. it's a free (!) valet secure bike parking area run by citiizens for safe cycling.

apparently in ottawa it is now required to have such a bike parking area for any events drawing in the thousands of people (sorry, i don't remember the number offhand).

good call if you ask me.

edit --- sorry, this is mooose posting.

Edited by Guest

David Knopfler (Main Stage, 7:30pm) was a founding member of Dire Straits. I don't know much about him as a solo performer, but it could be good. Son Volt (Black Sheep Stage, 9:30pm) is sort of an offshoot of Uncle Tupelo, which also had Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco fame). Be Good Tanyas (MBNA Stage, 9:00pm) could also be good in you like good old-time female vocal stuff (IIRC, they had a minor hit with "The Littlest Birds (sing the prettiest songs)").

Blue Rodeo's on the Main Stage at 9:00pm, which could be good.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Corrected mistakes.

David Knopfler (Main Stage, 9:00pm)

Holy fack bradm made a mistake!!

(here's my schedule in no order)

Blue Rodeo, Mainstage, 9pm

Be Good Tanyas, MBNA, 9pm

Mark Kozelek, Black Sheep 7:45

Son Volt, Black Sheep 9:30

Mofro, Blues til Dusk, 9pm

Lots of running around for me. Might skip Mofro as they're playing later in the week though.

Everyone should see Son Volt as they don't come around here often at all. Jay Farrar is a genius as far as I'm concerned, even with his kinda-annoying voice. Mark Kozelek is from the Red House Painters, really good. Be Good Tanyas, kinda country-ish girl threesome, realllllllly good harmonies, I love them but they play around here a lot so I don't have to see them tonight. But I think I want to. And Blue Rodeo are fabulous and I can't afford to see their regular shows.

AD

I think what happened was I saw Knopler and Blue Rodeo on the Main Stage schedule for today, and got them cross-wired when I wrote the post (omitting Blue Rodeo completely in the process). I've edited my original post to correct the mistakes.

Aloha,

Brad

David Knopfler (Main Stage, 7:30pm) was a founding member of Dire Straits. I don't know much about him as a solo performer, but it could be good. Son Volt (Black Sheep Stage, 9:30pm) is sort of an offshoot of Uncle Tupelo, which also had Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco fame). Be Good Tanyas (MBNA Stage, 9:00pm) could also be good in you like good old-time female vocal stuff (IIRC, they had a minor hit with "The Littlest Birds (sing the prettiest songs)").

Blue Rodeo's on the Main Stage at 9:00pm, which could be good.

Aloha,

Brad

I would like to add that the Be Good Tanya's may have patented the term "hobo-erotica" as they describe themselves in the festival guide, and that's a good reason to like them.

My schedules looks like AD's schedule less Mofro. As I am not volunteering I will be the drunk guy talking too loud so feel free to shh me.

And bracelet exchanges are just retarded if you don't mind my saying so. Pay full price and support a band you like...or just watch from outside the stage since there's a good view for all four of them.

Hobo-erotica makes no sense when you listen to the Be Good Tanyas, those 'clever' publicists should be fired.

He is a somewhat recent bio of them from AllMusicGuide:

Be Good Tanyas play an old-timey blend of folk, country, and blues bolstered by sweet harmonies and traditional fingerpicking. The Vancouver trio has garnered comparisons to like-minded predecessors such as Gillian Welch and Iris Dement.

The group came together when Samantha Parton, who had spent her post-high school years traveling with her guitar (drawing strong musical influence from visits to the Southern U.S.), returned to Vancouver. She and Jolie Holland formed the group, then Parton hooked up with Frazey Ford and Trish Klein while planting trees in Nelson, British Columbia. (Ford and Winnipeg-native Klein had met at Selkirk Music School in Nelson.) The musicians played together for the first time in 1999, busking outside the Lilith Fair venue in Vancouver. They soon moved on to local thrift store and coffee shop gigs. Holland left the group and the remaining trio was soon touring Canada and released their debut album, Blue Horse, in 2001. Two years later, the ladies returned with the light-hearted sophomore effort Chinatown.

I've loved them every time I see them.

AD

Perhaps it is fitting that on the day of Syd Barrett's death (announcement), The Be Good Tanyas are playing here, as the last verse of their biggest hit (The Littlest Birds) is borrowed from Floyd's 'Jug Band Blues,' written by Barrett

I don't care if the sun don't shine

And I don't care if nothing is mine

And I don't care if I'm nervous with you

I'll do my loving in the winter.

Jolie Holland, the writer of Littlest Birds, said the following about the verse

"I love Syd Barrett," says Jolie. "When I was learning to play the guitar, some of the first songs I learned were Syd Barrett songs. [He] really influenced my guitar playing and songwriting. I think the first song I learned in C was his 'Jug Band Blues.' Samantha wrote the chords for 'The Littlest Birds' and it just happened to be the same chord structure as 'Jug Band Blues' so I just added it to the end of the song."