Jambands.ca

favorite cheese

fluffhead77

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working at a super swank restaurant these days that has an amazing cheese board. It has introduced me to all kinds of awesome cheese that I hadn't been familiar with. Canada is actually producing some world class cheeses. My personal fav is a Quebec cheese called Sauvagine. It smells rank, but the taste isn't as strong as it's nose. It's also won the gold medal at the most important competition for North American cheese. I'm also a big fan of a New Brunswick cheese called Le Gamin.

My biggest treat for myself these days is going to Whole Foods and dropping $40 on a bunch of rank cheeses and then matching them up with some wine. The problem is I end up with 3 open bottles to go with the different cheeses. OK, the open wine is not really a problem...

There is a lady in PEI who is making small batches of gouda that has earned herself a world-class reputation. Any Islanders should look her up.

smoked provolone or mozza rocks. love the stinky blue cheeses.

there are very few cheeses I dislike. the hairier the better. I'm not good at namedropping them but I should work on that.

everyone should keep a beautiful hunk of parmesan on hand for quick grating.

you ever try a fresh ricotta drizzled with balsamic vinegar? It's like having God give you a handjob. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately I also admit to having a half-empty jar of Cheez Whiz in the fridge.

And not just any Parmesan either! We always get a hunk of Parmesan Reggiano despite the fact that it's about 14 bucks for a decent chunk. It does last a while, so it's not like you need to drop $14 each week or anything.

I think we get about 2 mths out of it for the amount we use the parm. Although when you make a batch of pesto, it does eat up a good portion of the cheese.

It's a really great inspiration to make a bunch of canapes or bruschetta.

And not just any Parmesan either! We always get a hunk of Parmesan Reggiano despite the fact that it's about 14 bucks for a decent chunk. It does last a while' date=' so it's not like you need to drop $14 each week or anything.

I think we get about 2 mths out of it for the amount we use the parm. Although when you make a batch of pesto, it does eat up a good portion of the cheese.

It's a really great inspiration to make a bunch of canapes or bruschetta.

[/quote']

I always have Pecorino Romano for that. Just my preference.

Chaumes - one of my favourites, it's impossible to pick one favourite as there are too many good ones!

Chaumes - a cow's milk cheese from Périgord (South West of France)is a soft pale cheese with a rich full-bodied flavour and smooth creamy and quite rubbery texture. Its aroma is generated by the cheese's bright tangerine-orange soft rind.

chaumes.jpg

A friend brought over a cheese called Le Delice De Bourgogne- a french triple-cream that is less salty then most.

Fan-fukin-tastic! She bought it at The Cheese Boutique that Fluffhead has raved about in the past. That store sounds pretty awesome. I do miss the Cheese Stores in Kensington and St Lawrence Markets. Our only option for the good cheese is expensive grocery stores where the help can be less then knowledgable- although Whole Foods does offer free samples, as well as the biggest mark-up in prices.