Jambands.ca

I'm going to Afghanistan!!

AD

This totally came out of the blue, but in a week and a half I'm off to Afghanistan for a month, maybe more... We're surveying the road from Kandahar to Herat so that it can be rebuilt so that USAID (US version of CIDA) can distribute food more efficiently and so that the people can get around again...

Yeah! This'll be good.....

ad

quote:

Originally posted by earthfreak:

you some kind of surveyor? or road construction? cool opportunity!

I work for a mapping company using laser-scanning technology to get super accurate maps. I do the analysis / QC / processing / troubleshooting / etc.. There's two surveyors coming with me for the data acquisition.

c-towns: Yeah it's true some people don't take too kindly, but on this project the word has gotten out that we're there to help so no harm has come yet. Plus we'll be working in the province where Ismail Khan (warlord / governor) has an iron grip over law and order (in a good way; he's a mediator not a fighter) and he's cool with us, very much wants us to be there in fact.

Kabul is the dangerous spot right now and we'll only be there for a week I think. Then we drive to Herat...

AD

yeah, I have some peace-keeper friends in the forces over there as well... they say it hasn't been too bad... almost all the people are really friendly... the area is amazingly beautiful, like going back in time... keep your Canadian patches visible at all times

have a great time, I'm envious [Cool]

• 4 years later...

was it really 5 years ago that you went to Afghanistan AD?

I may be off to Kandahar myself to work for 7 months.

I find out more tomorrow or Friday.

Should be an amazing experience if I am selected to fill the position.

I am REALLY excited about this opportunity.

all ((((((goodluckVIBES)))))) welcome and appreciated :)

I'm not going.... It's Bones / Starhead who is... He is being green and recycling an old thread from when I went 5 years ago...

But thanks for the well wishes everyone! I am going to Kitchener this weekend, that can get pretty scary too. :)

Archived